Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100198 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #285 on: September 07, 2008, 06:00:45 pm »

It seems like now we can pick between two color schemes in video games:  Rainbow and Mud.

Agree.

Also, the game  is arriving for me tomorrow, and I still have some hope left in me, so bah to all you naysayers, I've waited 3 years for this game, and

I WILL HAVE FUN, DAMNIT

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 07, 2008, 08:12:45 pm »

If your complains about spore are that it's not realistic, that you can reach space age with any species, try SimEarth instead. Seriously.

Spore is what I expected of it, not what I wanted, but yeah. I'm having some fun even if it made me want to play sim earth again... I think I will do that too.

MeshGearFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 08, 2008, 12:04:53 am »

What's wrong with Spore being cute, honestly? I think you guys are forgetting the bizarre sense of humor that Maxis used to have in their old games.

Anyway, it sounds like it doesn't fix that problem The Sims had, where you could sort of break everything really easy by just standing around for ten minutes talking to your neighbor and then hopping in to bed with them.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 08, 2008, 01:10:05 am »

I don't mind against spore being cute.
I just feel sad because it doesn't actually SIM anything. The whole game spins around your character (except for tribe/civ stages which are just bad rts). The whole world is dead. Other creatures sit in "nests", they don't hunt (I don't speak of occasional attacks which are caused NOT by the hunger but location only), they don't even eat! And I'm very disappointed with the space "biosphere" concept. Only 6 herbivore species and 3 omni/carnivore per planet? Bah... And the only thing that tries to make it sim-bio game are viral disasters... Because without them planetlife doesn't do anything at all. They just sit there in small numbers, even when your protagonist is nearby.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 08, 2008, 01:24:07 am »

GRAH! Is anyone else getting crashes every 10 minutes in the creature stage? Oh, and it just settled in to crashing repeatedly at a particular spot.

Maybe I should try redownloding it.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 08, 2008, 01:33:47 am »

Thanks to you guys i have decided i wont be spending every penny i have on spore. I won't even bother downloading it as from what I have heard it is a waste of my valuable bandwidth.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 08, 2008, 01:50:11 am »

If you have the Creature Creator's full version, then that's about just as much fun as you'll be able to get with Spore, minus the actually decent gameplay in the cell/organism stage (a-la fl0w), and the epic creature fights in the creature phase. For the rest, seiously, go play Space Rangers 2. They can deliver a lot more depth than this piece of software, and for much less money.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 08, 2008, 06:10:11 am »

Anyone want to help start a Spore roguelike project?

Sounds good. Really. Is that just a random idea, or are you going to really work at something?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 08, 2008, 09:20:53 am »

LOL @ IGN again:

Spore review:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/907/907454p1.html

Closing Comments
I think that Maxis has made an impressive product that does so many incredible things. Spore will serve as an introduction to gaming for many; it's clear that many nontraditional gamers will check it out. As such, this feels sort of like a sampler plate to gaming, introducing newcomers to the different types of gameplay out there. But much more than that, Spore will make you think about science, and when was the last time you could say that about a game? It'll inspire people to learn more about the universe and imagine what's possible out there. Spore also pushes the idea of user-generated content to incredible new heights; this is a game where users will make the vast majority of things that you encounter, and this creation and sharing is done seamlessly.

Yet, while Spore is an amazing product, it's just not quite an amazing game. I can't help but feel that Spore is ambitious and memorable, but I also admit that, save for the cool Space Stage, there's not a lot of depth here. Rookie gamers are going to feel at home here, but veteran gamers may feel like they need more. Still, Spore proves to be one of the most unique products in recent memory, one that reaches for the stars and ends up giving us a universe in a box.

Overall 8.8/10

Incredible...IGN and its bullshitting is getting very annoying. [..well not that the other "big" gamer sites are better..] ::)

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #294 on: September 08, 2008, 09:43:58 am »

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/spore/review.html

Gamespot isn't doing any better. 8.0 ...
Great audio and art design? What the hell, where does guys on drugs? The audio made my ears bleed. Not that I take any site serious who rates sudden strike with a five.

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 08, 2008, 10:11:25 am »

Or, perhaps, rather than believing the bullshit and hype surrounding Spore for the past 3 years, Gamespot at least (8.8 is a bit excessive) have taken the time to look at Spore as like a secret project that only just got released with no notice or anything. Therefore, they have a more objective viewpoint, and rather than expecting something and being let down, they expect nothing and get Spore

I think you really need to step away from Spore to realise its merits. That said, I'd give it about a 7.5.

Also, this game seems to have divided gamers. This is a very bad thing. Please, for the sake of the Gaming Gods, let's find some common ground on this?
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 08, 2008, 10:53:29 am »

Well, I don't want gamers to be divided :).
I had fun with it for 2 days, and now I have nothing to do. Really, when you get to the space stage 3 times and get the genesis device, what else can you do? I was planning different eco-experiments but now when it's not possible... I just quit I guess :). I had enough fun and now it's time to turn back to Mount and Blade. I haven't checked the 0.960 version and new mods yet ))).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 08, 2008, 12:34:43 pm »

I want Yathzee's review of Spore. Course, he only has gay love towards half-life, but sure, it will be funny.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #298 on: September 08, 2008, 01:41:56 pm »

I am pretty sure Yathzee is going to SLAUGTHER the game when he reviews it. There won't be any flesh or bone left when he is done. A vital organ, max.

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 08, 2008, 04:42:13 pm »

I am pretty sure Yathzee is going to SLAUGTHER the game when he reviews it. There won't be any flesh or bone left when he is done. A vital organ, max.

Well to be honest I dont like that clown too much, but I will surely check out his Spore review.  ;D
This game just deserved to be destroyed in some UNBIASED review!  >:(

*edit*

LOL, check out this:

Customer Reviews - Spore @ Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000FKBCX4/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_img?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

814 Reviews

5 star:    (22)
4 star:    (15)
3 star:    (7)
2 star:    (20)
1 star:    (750)

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 04:46:16 pm by Tormy »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 97