Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100098 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #150 on: September 01, 2008, 05:11:18 pm »

http://www.game.co.uk/News/?lid=9733&ad=01_09_2008

Games designer Will Wright believes that his upcoming release Spore has been over-hyped and the extra anticipation is concerning him.

Speaking to Game Informer, the designer, who also developed franchises such as SimCity and The Sims, has stated that he is worried that his new life simulation game will disappoint fans after its long awaited release.

He told Game Informer: "I think it's too much hype. About a year ago, we were realising how much hype we were getting and we decided we should start to say that it's going to suck just to de-hype it. That is a certain amount of pressure.

"We've gotten to that point any additional hype isn't serving us well. It's a concern."

He added that gamers tend to fill in the blanks themselves when they imagine a new game and the concern is that Spore may disappoint gamers as it is not the way they imagined it to be.

Spore allows a player to control the evolution of a species from its origins as a unicellular organism, through development as an intelligent and social creature, to exploration as a spacefaring culture.

??? ::)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 01, 2008, 05:19:38 pm »

The thing is, that's exactly what people expect of the game, but they don't want to see it in such cutesy representation. Give me a game where I can play a race of acid-spitting black-shelled bipedal running things that prey on everything livng, not a game where I can pit Purple Fluffies of Doom against the Terrible Teletubbies of Torture.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 01, 2008, 05:49:24 pm »

The thing is, that's exactly what people expect of the game, but they don't want to see it in such cutesy representation. Give me a game where I can play a race of acid-spitting black-shelled bipedal running things that prey on everything livng, not a game where I can pit Purple Fluffies of Doom against the Terrible Teletubbies of Torture.

Exactly.  I was immensely disappointed when I saw the new visuals after spending at least a year fawning over the old visuals.  And the removal of the sea phase also upset me, but I think I'll get over that.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, the final phase list is:
?Cell? (I think this was removed?)
Multi-cellular
Land creature
Tribe
?City? (Where you design the buildings and manage a single city, might have been removed?)
Civilization (Where you are working to control the entire planet with many civ-like 1-tile cities)
UFO (System)
UFO (Local stars)
UFO (Galaxy)

Right?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 01, 2008, 06:23:21 pm »

So, correct me if I'm wrong, the final phase list is:
?Cell? (I think this was removed?)
Multi-cellular
Land creature
Tribe
?City? (Where you design the buildings and manage a single city, might have been removed?)
Civilization (Where you are working to control the entire planet with many civ-like 1-tile cities)
UFO (System)
UFO (Local stars)
UFO (Galaxy)

Right?

Yes I guess.

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
  • The crazy in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 01, 2008, 06:46:06 pm »

I think its actually

1: cell (AKA tide pool, goes until you grow legs)
2: creature (land creature, goes until you make 15 same-species friends?)
3: tribe (tribal, goes until ?)
4: civilization (city and civ, goes until you take over the world)
5: space (UFO, may be subdivided I'm not sure)
Even the cutest things can be endearing when on fire. ~ Cajoes
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 01, 2008, 06:48:55 pm »

ive noticed your sig does that mean humanoid creatures or creatures that look a lot like humans?
and about the religous/war/trade based civ things. i think it means what your more focused on at first. then i think it will be up to us to decide where we go from there. i will of course choose war or religion and if possible i will make my religion based upon urist, the flamboyant god of eternal windmills. if possible i would want to make a balanced civ leaning more closely to war and trade.

also about the cutsie graphics. yes i think they shouldve done something different. i mean they're not following the rules of realism! brown+darkness+bloom!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 07:01:23 pm by Dragooble »
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 01, 2008, 06:59:04 pm »

I don't know why America is getting Spore last, but I remember there was  a movie that they released worldwide simultaneously. So we here in Australia released it at about 4 in the afternoon and America released it at midnight the same day.

That logic doesn't work in this situation, mind you.

Also, I really can't wait for this game... I never thought I'd get excited for a game release since Halo 3.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 01, 2008, 07:01:03 pm »

I think it's up to personal interpretation. I myself will only destroy the ones that look like humans.
I'm doing (if possible) a combined religious/military civ which only trades with a few "worthy" cities.
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 01, 2008, 07:03:47 pm »

and by worthy you mean people who have a sufficient military to just barely survive an attack by you and if so follow a similar religion of yours? ;D

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 01, 2008, 07:06:26 pm »

Precisely  ;)
though I'm not sure how religion will be represented.
GENERATION 26:

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 01, 2008, 07:24:02 pm »

you should also add a the n.d.p.(the non dick pact to ekiminate all dick monsters in spore.)

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 01, 2008, 07:28:26 pm »

That's actually a good idea.
however I'm joining the Playable buddy list. they have certain rules for creating creatures that eliminate that sort of creature right off the bat.
GENERATION 26:

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 01, 2008, 07:29:38 pm »

whats the playable buddy list? never heard of it.

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 01, 2008, 07:34:38 pm »

http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?threadID=403271&tstart=0
it started over on the official spore forum, and may have migrated from there.
basically people make creatures according to the rules, everyone adds the rest of the list to there buddy list. nobody gets seriously hurt ;D.
GENERATION 26:

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 01, 2008, 07:42:35 pm »

I noticed someone way back in this thread said that the 'cartoonish designs' were off-putting to him. Well if you think that, tale a look at some creatures that people have made so far in the creature creator:

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=ftr-ftrd
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 97