Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 99908 times)

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #1335 on: August 06, 2009, 03:49:07 am »

Hehe, totally expected and totally hilarious.

...referencing anyone who's ever brought up the 2005 spore demo as a reason why the current spore is a disappointment.

That's exactly my point.  Would Spore have been received better without the 2005 hype?  Probably.  It would still have to fend off complaints about the bugs and Securom and lousy gameplay, but it would still be a nice, rather casual new game with fun user-generated content.  Now it just keeps getting compared to something that doesn't exist and never really existed.
I too am very disappointed by what was promised and what was given.  But I still enjoy Spore, and I don't think there are really any "legitimate" complaints.  EA decided to go for a different slice of the market, welcome to the real world.  It sucks, it's not nice of them, but it's their game so there's nothing we can do except complain to them directly, or make our own Spore.

Either way, Spore Hero looks like fun, and I hope people will look at it as a game in it's own right.  I'm probably going to get it, I wonder if it has access to the/a Sporepedia?

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: August 06, 2009, 03:52:58 am »

Wait, what? You don't think lousy game play is a legitimate complaint?
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: August 06, 2009, 04:09:54 am »

I was never really into the hype, I didn't buy it, I just used the same computer as someone who does. I played through it from beginning to end and found it to be a complete failure. The only even mildly original thing about it was the shared user content, which was under-used and over-abused, I am sure I am not the only person who got bored from seeing the same anatomically detailed creature being re-used over and over again... But user generated content, along with everything else in that game, has been around for over a decade, and most of it was being done better...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: August 06, 2009, 04:12:28 am »

I was never really into the hype, I didn't buy it, I just used the same computer as someone who does. I played through it from beginning to end and found it to be a complete failure. The only even mildly original thing about it was the shared user content, which was under-used and over-abused, I am sure I am not the only person who got bored from seeing the same anatomically detailed creature being re-used over and over again... But user generated content, along with everything else in that game, has been around for over a decade, and most of it was being done better...

What disappointed me was space mode. I wanted to do stuff right away. NOT GRIND TO DO IT.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: August 06, 2009, 04:22:09 am »

Oh the grinding, the horrible grinding, that is why it was neither "nice" nor "casual". Nice would be getting rewarded for doing something, as opposed to being rewarded for doing something 1000 times for no good reason. Casual would be achieving something in a brief session, as opposed to being unable to finish the game without flying back and forth 1000 times between the same two crummy stars...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: August 06, 2009, 08:52:09 am »

My Brother played Spore out of Pure boredom and found he liked creating things but didn't find the actual playing to be very fun.

He disliked collecting Spice in Spore so much he just stopped playing.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: August 06, 2009, 10:52:52 am »

Wait, what? You don't think lousy game play is a legitimate complaint?
Obviously if the some of the kinds of people who enjoy DF like it then it is more niche gameplay than lousy gameplay.

Now, as I said before; if enough people sent their complaints to EA instead of a bunch of random forums, they might take notice.  Pleasing the gigantic group of disappointed people they don't know exists would make them a great deal more money than they are now.

I'm fairly certain most of you complaining about spore have already done so on this thread early on.  Now you're just being redundant.  A series of the same complaints - littered with attempts at discussion about the game that only get swamped by the repeated complaints - is not a discussion.

Yes, you're upset, such a good looking game was ruined, etc.  But by now you should be over it.  And from what Ioric says, he himself is only supporting the idea that complaining about Spore does no good.  Let people who like it have a chance to talk about it for once, please?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 10:58:45 am by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: August 06, 2009, 11:05:34 am »

I was referring to the fact that Rhodan first said:
It would still have to fend off complaints about the bugs and Securom and lousy gameplay

And then went on to say:
But I still enjoy Spore, and I don't think there are really any "legitimate" complaints.

Implying that lousy game play is not a legitimate complaint for a game. I honestly don't know where DF comes into it. My reply was me stating my amazement that someone could consider lousy game play to not be be a legitimate complaint for any game rather than restating my views on Spore in particular.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: August 06, 2009, 01:04:38 pm »

Yes im guessing every complaint was made already, but either

1) Every praise was made already meaning they are being repeated

or

2) people who are praising it haven't read while we all hate it so we need to inform them  ;D

Everyone can post here so the majority of everyones opinions will show up as a majority of the posts.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: August 06, 2009, 01:18:48 pm »

1) There are more things to say about a given game from people who play it aside from praise or complaint.  For example, the kinds of things people make with it.  As it is, someone could start a thread and say "hey, look at this thing I made, what have you makde, etc."  And then the thread would soon be swarmed with people complaining about spore because they are so fanatically against it they won't let anyone else say anything about it without some bashing.

2) That just makes you sound like a jerk.  Yes you can post the same complaint about the game in response to some one who actually wants to have a discussion, but that doesn't mean you need to, especially if you already have several times before.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: August 06, 2009, 03:03:10 pm »

Hehe, totally expected and totally hilarious.

...referencing anyone who's ever brought up the 2005 spore demo as a reason why the current spore is a disappointment.

That's exactly my point.  Would Spore have been received better without the 2005 hype?  Probably.  It would still have to fend off complaints about the bugs and Securom and lousy gameplay, but it would still be a nice, rather casual new game with fun user-generated content.  Now it just keeps getting compared to something that doesn't exist and never really existed.
I too am very disappointed by what was promised and what was given.  But I still enjoy Spore, and I don't think there are really any "legitimate" complaints.  EA decided to go for a different slice of the market, welcome to the real world.  It sucks, it's not nice of them, but it's their game so there's nothing we can do except complain to them directly, or make our own Spore.

Either way, Spore Hero looks like fun, and I hope people will look at it as a game in it's own right.  I'm probably going to get it, I wonder if it has access to the/a Sporepedia?

We can say "What if" all we want but the fact remains that Spore was originally meant to be a deep and original life simulator and ended up being released as a series of half assed minigames with several features that had already been shown in game years ago cut from it.  You can ignore it all you like, but that doesn't make it untrue.

And again, you can't complain to EA because they only make what's most profitable for them to make.  As long as people keep buying their shit, they will keep making it.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

kholhaus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pissed and Inspired
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: August 06, 2009, 03:46:06 pm »

Well in my standpoint, If Spore were casual, it wouldn't at all be what was promised in 2005.

If Spore were more scientific like the 2005 demo, it would punch out alot of players and become an obscure title that is a gem.

I admit I WAS disappointed by the 2005 compared to the final product, it's not WORSE, it's just different. If there were blood, then they'd get the teen rating and shut out alot of the younger players. If it had totally cartoony graphics like that of the DS version, many of the older players'd be turned off. So they went for a compromise. You can make totally creepy creatures or just a mouth on a leg.

I have a feeling the free patches will contain alot of features that people were disappointed by.
EA may be the overwatch of the whole operation, thinking they know what's best, but Maxis is still Maxis. You can't really take for granted from a 2005 video that's being watched by a company like EA.

The damage is done, and I don't think they'll be able to add a blood expansion pack after the game has been declared E.

And all this SecuRom crap.. SecuRom allowed you to play the game without the disc. Many people raeged about SecuRom, without thinking. Many others joined in, not even knowing what SecuRom did. Then, when Galactic Adventures came out, Many other people RAGED about how you couldn't play without the disc. Even though it was SECUROM THAT MADE IT POSSIBLE! It shows that we as a human race are fickle.
Kholhaus has been inspired recently.
Kholhaus has lost a favorite to tragedy recently.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: August 06, 2009, 04:59:40 pm »

1) There are more things to say about a given game from people who play it aside from praise or complaint.  For example, the kinds of things people make with it.  As it is, someone could start a thread and say "hey, look at this thing I made, what have you makde, etc."  And then the thread would soon be swarmed with people complaining about spore because they are so fanatically against it they won't let anyone else say anything about it without some bashing.

2) That just makes you sound like a jerk.  Yes you can post the same complaint about the game in response to some one who actually wants to have a discussion, but that doesn't mean you need to, especially if you already have several times before.

I've seen a discussion about the updates and a bit about a story one guy was in the process of making, but there really isnt anyway to hold a discussion with that.

Parents today let there kids get GTA4 so you could have creatures being ripped apart and kids would still be getting it.

And using disk > limited uses because many people change their laptops once a year, computers break, changing a peice of hardware counts as a new computer to the SecuRom....And it wasn't stated on the EULA or box, meaning its the same as that music rootkit (which was also made by sony), and deemed illegal....How EA is now getting this same program to not be considered illegal is beyond me.

I can also understand needing the disk to play it....Your xbox/playstation needs the disk, not having one will either make your computer store massive amounts of information or require you to get it from the internet, and not wanting to need the disk means you are either careless with your disks and break them or hand the disk out to all your friends, a form of pirating.

If you look further into SecuRom, it basically gives EA more ways to make money by not allowing reselling, making some people have to buy a second disk to keep playing, and that since the SecuRom is installed on ring 0, theoretically, EA could send out a patch to make the SecuRom do anything they wanted to your computer. For example, look for 9 digit numbers (social security numbers), or wipe your entire computer.....Of course chances are they will never happen.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: August 06, 2009, 07:23:13 pm »

I know EA are pretty money grabbing, but they aren't gonna be snatching your social security number.  I'm not sure what the fuss is about DRM, to be honest - while it does disable resale, there are already quite a lot of things you can't resell (you can't, for instance, resell a ticket to the cinema after you've used it).

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: August 06, 2009, 07:48:03 pm »

while it does disable resale, there are already quite a lot of things you can't resell (you can't, for instance, resell a ticket to the cinema after you've used it).
If you're comparing a movie ticket to a video game you really um...
I don't want to put this in any way that seems like flaming, because I'm not trying to insult you but...
lack in understanding of video games as a medium.

Now I'm going to make a post that more belongs in the piracy topic but I feel is needed to back-up what I just said (and make it not really a flame, I hope :( ):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: THIS POST SUCKS. I HATE IT. It barely makes any sense and doesn't even support it's original point I don't think. Keep this in mind. This is the worst post ever made on these forums. I want to just delete it but it needs to be saved for posterity. Again: This post sucks.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 07:51:40 pm by Chutney »
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 97