Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Goblin Tower Drops are TOTALLY whack  (Read 2595 times)

coldstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold stone given life.
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Tower Drops are TOTALLY whack
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 06:47:23 am »

you guys are crazy. and none of you took up my challenge  >:(

do a goblin drop and tell us if the gobs are friendly or what weird stuff there is going on, i wonder how common these demons are now...

also, does storing food/beer in an 'above ground' area mean more rotting, or more vermin??

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 12:18:38 pm »

Everything is friendly now. When you embark in a settlement, the inhabitants are automatically your friends. Doesn't make much sense, and will probably be corrected eventually.

Also, yes, the people here are crazy. Some theorize that Dwarf Fortress attracts insane players, while others claim that it makes sane players insane. Neither school of though is getting anywhere with their arguments, since they're both too busy trying to find the best way to kill kittens.

THERE IS NO GOOD OR EVIL! GOOD OR EVIL IS MORAL COMPASS, SO BOTH OF THEM ARE GOOD!!!!!!!!
[/rant]
Well, this is realistic. No one really good (goblins steal them, dwarves, as you said, conspiring against the Goblins), and no one really bad (Goblins raise them to full goblin citizen. While the Dwarves want to avenge their stolen babies.)

The Good vs Evil is good no more, we must see it from every side, every angle.
But by saying that "Good vs Evil is good no more" you are simply positing that the concepts of "good" and "evil" are evil, and that abandoning them is good. Which gets us nowhere, except into a rather headache-inducing paradox.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 12:56:00 pm »

No, no, he's using another meaning of the word.  It's not "Good", as in "Good and Evil", it's "good", as in valid.

So the argument of "Good and Evil" is no longer valid.

Shadowkire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 01:22:45 pm »

do a goblin drop and tell us if the gobs are friendly or what weird stuff there is going on, i wonder how common these demons are now...
In an unmodded game demons start as a goblin civ's leader, so in a large world you get about 10 + HFS

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 01:49:17 pm »

No, no, he's using another meaning of the word.  It's not "Good", as in "Good and Evil", it's "good", as in valid.

So the argument of "Good and Evil" is no longer valid.
But he used all caps text with eight exclamation marks. He's not merely making an observation, he is agitated at people who disagre with him and wants them to think as he does. He's applying his lack of value systems as a value system; something that everyone everywhere should follow.

That is assuming I read it right. If I did not, and the shouting was there merely to aid those with poor hearing;

Why
THERE IS NO GOOD OR EVIL! GOOD OR EVIL IS MORAL COMPASS, SO BOTH OF THEM ARE GOOD!!!!!!!!
[/rant]
Well, this is realistic. No one really good (goblins steal them, dwarves, as you said, conspiring against the Goblins), and no one really bad (Goblins raise them to full goblin citizen. While the Dwarves want to avenge their stolen babies.)

The Good vs Evil is good no more, we must see it from every side, every angle.
Why should we look at the issue from every side? If evil does not exist, it cannot be evil to accuse others of being evil. The dwarves are (sometimes) at war with the goblins because the goblins are evil. Why should they stop? If it is philosophically impossible for either side to do anything evil, do they have any reason to stop slaughtering each other?

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 02:00:57 pm »

All this discussion about morality is making me want to throw a bunch of Elves into an arena deathmatch against the kittens born during a catsplosion.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

chewd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 03:39:35 pm »

Ive been to a few gobby forts in this version, most of them were friendly, but i have been to unfriendly ones as well.

One of the forts had so many humans living in it, i wonder if it was conquered by them at some point. I dont think i ever found a single gobby in it. But the demon living there seemed okay with it.

I was wandering around a different friendly gobb fort, this one with quite a few gobbs & i came across a human child, his discription said "prisoner" & when i talked to him & asked him to join up, he joined gladly asking me to take him back to his home.

Problem was he wouldnt say where his home was (or perhaps just didnt know) So i went around to all the local human villages but we never did find his home.

But the goblins raise dwarven and human children as full and equal citizens of the goblin civilization.

...after having forcibly kidnapped them from their home. These arent kind ol gobbys raising orphans, they kidnap your children & train them for their armies. Deaths too good for them

On that note i did once go to an unfriendly gobby fortress killing all the soldier gobbies & the ones that werent soldiers (or were children) i gouged out both their eyes blinding them. I emptied out the whole fortress of gobbies & left only the poor blind bastards alive.

The plan was to burn a few years game-time on a fortress & then come back as an adventurer to see if they were still alive. But when i came back a dragon had showed up & burned me to a crisp :(

BahamutZERO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2008, 06:12:09 pm »

Technically the kidnapped humans and dwarves and such are supposed to be slaves, but I guess we haven't gotten to coding proper slavery behavior yet.
Pages: 1 [2]