Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skulls of the Vanquished!  (Read 1542 times)

Eatnobles4breakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Skulls of the Vanquished!
« on: August 15, 2008, 12:16:00 am »

*tear* i've been killing all these bad guys, and splatering them so hard their body parts end up several levels up, and even on the other side of walls...
My problem is, i have so-freaking-many skulls, i have no way to properly boast over my victories! is there anything to do but mass prodce totems?
Oh, BTW, these are just zombie animal skulls, not to make it sound as if i'm actualy good at this game...
Dastog Eatsnobles is posessed with a lazy mood!
Dastog Eatsnobles cancels be useful: in a lazy mood
Dastog Eatsnobles has claimed a wooden couch!
Dastog Eatsnobles is now a legendary peasant!

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Skulls of the Vanquished!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 12:45:55 am »

Well, you could do the usual stuff, such as dumping them into a chasm or magma. 

I believe I heard somewhere that skulls and bones will rot away if left outside, but I'm not sure if that's true. 

You could also line the hallways with them, or perhaps make a "dragon's nest" with piles and piles of skulls (and a dragon if you're lucky!)  Don't forget the treasure (big diamond on top of pile o' skulls works well, I feel)

Note: "piles and piles of skulls" is achived using 1-tile dump zones; you can put as many skulls into one tile as you would like.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 12:48:06 am by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Tubi2b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 12:49:37 am »

I had 3 craftsdwarf shops. 1 constantly deco with bone, 1 constant making bone totems, and 1 doing both. Then I made a bunch of single tile custom stockpiles for skull totems in my hallways and by doors... just to show off the totems.

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 02:08:39 am »

I had 3 craftsdwarf shops. 1 constantly deco with bone, 1 constant making bone totems, and 1 doing both. Then I made a bunch of single tile custom stockpiles for skull totems in my hallways and by doors... just to show off the totems.

I tend to turn almost all of my bones into bolts to support marksdwarf training.  Not really sure what can be done with the skulls besides dumping them or making them into totems.  A skull pit would be pretty cool, but I don't think it would hang around in adventurer mode, so it would be a bit of a waste.

Shakkara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 08:16:50 am »

With the gods being implemented in the game, sacrificing skulls on altars would be awesome in the future.

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 08:29:37 am »

I throw away skulls m'self. :/
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 08:45:29 am »

The problem with this is that it's not very showy (admittedly, the game itself isn't very showy). If you're going to do that, maybe you should carve a giant skull into the cliff above your fortress, or make your dining area into the shape of a giant skull? Something like that...

Admittedly, you'd have to be a better artist than I am to design it!

Bill

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 11:14:36 am »

I once had a fortress with a massive bone-yard (that was a creepy place in adventure mode). I lost a fey because, as it turns out, there were no bones at all, just a mountain of skulls.
Basically, can anybody suggest a suitable ASCII for  skulls?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 11:30:05 am »

†? Or even ³.

I generally have several totem stockpiles outside of my fortress. Only non-valuable ones though, as the dragon skull totem became something that might start a religion among the kobolds that stole it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 11:56:21 am »

my fort is kinda starting to look like the skull i hoped it would.  See lvl 16, i just need to finish the eyes part.
I got nothing

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 08:14:12 pm »

Decorate everything with bone. Export the skull totems to buy whatever you need. But make sure everything in your fortress menaces with spikes of goblin bone.

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 09:43:27 pm »

I believe I heard somewhere that skulls and bones will rot away if left outside, but I'm not sure if that's true. 
Any bones or skulls that are outside and not in a stockpile will disappear at the end of the season. Make a huge
skull stockpile, then once the skulls are there, undesignate it.
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme