Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My First Siege  (Read 2163 times)

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
My First Siege
« on: August 14, 2008, 10:34:30 pm »

OK, I finally got my first siege. Things have been really calm at my fortress (no dangerous creatures anywhere), so I'd been looking forward to it. But it was composed of only 16 goblin wrestlers and pikemen. They headed for one of my trapped passages, but three of my marksdwarves, shooting from behind fortifications nearby, killed four of them and wounded two more, causing the whole bunch to flee.

The whole thing lasted no time at all. They didn't get anywhere near my traps, or even to the kitten I'd set out as bait. It was quite anticlimactic. In fact, it was far less dangerous than the normal goblin ambushes, since I was notified as soon as the siege appeared on my map. I often lose a dwarf to the ambushes, especially if they bring crossbows. But with this, I had plenty of time to get the civilians inside.

Is this typical of sieges, or did I just get a really weak one? Heck, one of my marksdwarves was just a beginner, too. Just wondering if things will pick up here. At most, I'll only see one siege a year, right? I'm tempted to start a new fortress in a more dangerous area (not insanely dangerous - I'm still a newbie, after all). But I've got a hundred dwarves, and I really would like to see the Dwarven Economy and the nobility everyone complains about (I've got a Dungeon Master, but that's it).

Bill

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Re: My First Siege
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 10:41:06 pm »

They get harder as you get more wealth.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 10:47:16 pm »

Congrats on having more patience than I, I haven't even surpassed a population of 100!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 11:19:58 pm »

They get more goblins eventually, but I wouldn't say they get harder. They always march straight into the corridor of doom (tm) and a single champion can dominate a nearly unlimited number of goblins solo anyway.

I agree that sieges are actually easier, ambushers sometimes catch you by surprise like you said but sieges never do.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 08:40:59 am »

OK, so how about other dangers? Will I ever start getting dangerous animals, if I didn't start with any? Does the number of years of survival, the number of dwarves, or the fortress wealth affect that?

This area seems to have no dangers at all, at least so far (about four years in, I believe). I HAVE seen a cougar at the edge of the map a couple of times (it disappeared, then returned just recently). But otherwise, not even wolves.

Bill

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 09:52:53 am »

Megabeasts will sometimes pop by to say HelloAAAAARGH!
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 10:00:44 am »

OK, I finally got my first siege. Things have been really calm at my fortress (no dangerous creatures anywhere), so I'd been looking forward to it. But it was composed of only 16 goblin wrestlers and pikemen. They headed for one of my trapped passages, but three of my marksdwarves, shooting from behind fortifications nearby, killed four of them and wounded two more, causing the whole bunch to flee.

The whole thing lasted no time at all. They didn't get anywhere near my traps, or even to the kitten I'd set out as bait. It was quite anticlimactic. In fact, it was far less dangerous than the normal goblin ambushes, since I was notified as soon as the siege appeared on my map. I often lose a dwarf to the ambushes, especially if they bring crossbows. But with this, I had plenty of time to get the civilians inside.

Is this typical of sieges, or did I just get a really weak one? Heck, one of my marksdwarves was just a beginner, too. Just wondering if things will pick up here. At most, I'll only see one siege a year, right? I'm tempted to start a new fortress in a more dangerous area (not insanely dangerous - I'm still a newbie, after all). But I've got a hundred dwarves, and I really would like to see the Dwarven Economy and the nobility everyone complains about (I've got a Dungeon Master, but that's it).

Bill

Don't use any traps at all, THEN you have a real siege.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 10:05:43 am »

Bill

It doesnt matter how many siegers will come, basically you could easily defeat even 1000 goblins with traps and defense mechanisms as it is now.
Hopefully wars/sieges will be enchanced, there were lot of suggestions about it so far. [tuneller enemy units, units what can spot/disable traps, units what can construct a bridge over moats, etc. etc.]

Right now if you want challenging sieges, dont use traps and moats for example.

FlyingScissorKick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 11:26:44 am »

Once you have a decent amount of wealth and are in year 20+, the force becomes quite a bit bigger and you'll have to take out more in order for them to flee.

and then be stuck with 5000 iron items and junk. I can't wait until "forbid upon death" is implemented.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 11:29:24 am »

At most, I'll only see one siege a year, right?

At most you can get one a season.

Also you can get several sneaking "ambushes" a season.

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 03:14:06 pm »

Right now if you want challenging sieges, don't use traps and moats for example.

I don't know if 'challenging' sieges are what I really want. And I'm just a newbie, so I still think traps and moats are lots of fun. I was just hoping sieges might be bigger - to last longer - and a bit more dangerous. (This one was over before it had even begun.) Or that I might get dangerous animals after awhile.

I might create a new world and start a fortress in a more dangerous area. I'm not quite ready to abandon this one (that's so final), but I think I'm ready to move on.

Hmm,... maybe 'challenging' is what I want, after all. But challenging for ME, which is certainly not up to the level of you long-time players. :)

Bill

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 04:08:05 pm »

It doesnt matter how many siegers will come, basically you could easily defeat even 1000 goblins with traps and defense mechanisms as it is now.
Hopefully wars/sieges will be enchanced, there were lot of suggestions about it so far. [tuneller enemy units, units what can spot/disable traps, units what can construct a bridge over moats, etc. etc.]

Specialty units hell, I'd be happy with a few enemies that have a chance in hell of hurting a Champion.  At all.

And megabeasts have always been rather disappointing for me.  I've seen a Hydra beaten to death by an unarmed, unarmored clerk, and I've had a Hydra and a Titan two-shotted by weapon traps (and I mean "weapon" as in "whips, daggers, and a couple pikes").  Cage traps are just plain cheap.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 04:46:36 pm »

Specialty units hell, I'd be happy with a few enemies that have a chance in hell of hurting a Champion.  At all.

And megabeasts have always been rather disappointing for me.  I've seen a Hydra beaten to death by an unarmed, unarmored clerk, and I've had a Hydra and a Titan two-shotted by weapon traps (and I mean "weapon" as in "whips, daggers, and a couple pikes").  Cage traps are just plain cheap.

Those problems can be solved easily already with modding.  ;)

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 04:57:10 pm »

Right now if you want challenging sieges, don't use traps and moats for example.

I don't know if 'challenging' sieges are what I really want. And I'm just a newbie, so I still think traps and moats are lots of fun. I was just hoping sieges might be bigger - to last longer - and a bit more dangerous. (This one was over before it had even begun.) Or that I might get dangerous animals after awhile.

I might create a new world and start a fortress in a more dangerous area. I'm not quite ready to abandon this one (that's so final), but I think I'm ready to move on.

Hmm,... maybe 'challenging' is what I want, after all. But challenging for ME, which is certainly not up to the level of you long-time players. :)

Bill

In that case, minimize your traps, millitary and such. Should make it harder, without being TOO hard.
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 06:46:09 pm »

It's true that holding back will make things harder, but if you lose, you know that you holding back was probably a big factor in it.  Stacking the odds against yourself is one thing, but deciding simply to let the enemy win is another.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.
Pages: [1] 2