Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Legendary goblin  (Read 30339 times)

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary goblin
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2008, 05:26:32 pm »

I noticed a fairly large pool of magma there. Perhaps the Incinerated Stigmas could be lured into the bowels of the fort while a lone miner does the dirty work? Scorched Earth Policy!
No-no-no, traps are overpowered and just plain indecent in this situation ;D Including more complex traps with flowing lava and such. We know too well that even a single dwarf can kill unlimited goblins with e.g. retracting bridges over lava pool.
Goblins fight valiantly in an exclusively military style, so dwarves should match them on the battlefield if they want to boast this victory in future! Or die trying...

2 A_Fey_Dwarf
By the way, thanks for world generation parameters set! Pretty nice landscape in there.

The wall holding back the magma is a greater enemy than the goblin mace god.

Besides, you can't deny that your curious to see how tough this goblin is? Tough enough to swim out of magma/lava? That be pretty epic.

Urist Dugbuttons, a lone dwarf leaning against a wall next to a magma filled shaft. Exhausted after unleashing burning destruction, having scorching his fortress, enemies and friends with hot liquid rock. Then out comes the mightiest goblin ever, his steel armour and mace glowing and warped from heat, and cleaves the dwarf in two with a molten mace.
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2008, 08:15:39 pm »

Why didn't you release the dogs that last time? i'll bet nobody can beat 40 war dogs...

I connected the cage up to a lever next to a second one designed to release magma into my fortress. However, I forgot to use the note function and I was confused about which lever to pull so I decided to just face the goblins without my dogs. Maybe on second thoughts maybe i should have pulled them both.

I noticed a fairly large pool of magma there. Perhaps the Incinerated Stigmas could be lured into the bowels of the fort while a lone miner does the dirty work? Scorched Earth Policy!
It be cool if he survived that!

I don't think I will use the magma. For a couple of reasons,
a) I want to be able to return in adventure mode.
b) I don't think, my 6 dwarves will survive that long, they are all miserable and are most likely to kill each other before I have dug out a large enough channel.
c) If they do live long enough, I don't really want Stozu to die in a helpless manner. I would much rather kill him with my dwarves or an adventurer that comes around later.

More movies will now be up, see previous post.

EvilCheerio

• Bay Watcher
  • Whats Candlejack doing h
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2008, 09:29:00 pm »

A note on the overpowering of traps. I like traps, specifically if they they are of my own design, but It was so fun to watch my archers rain down death upon the goblins. I'm just saying that you should be able to beat seige's backs with a combination of good military and creative base building. The defensive side always has the option of where the fight is, so you should be able to take advantage of that.
Delicious wine biscuits
 A real dwarf can survive on meals consisting of Wine, beer, and more wine.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2008, 10:43:35 pm »

Bah. You could hit him with water, and return later. He's not so BAMF that he can survive drowning, because I've drowned scores of Kobolds,Golbins, trolls, and dwarves.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2008, 01:49:01 am »

I have hit something unexpected. A message just came up stating that migrants were to scared to make their journey this year. WTF? Is this a new feature because it has never happened before.

So maybe Playpapers will finally be destroyed. With only three able dwarves, a child and two injured dwarves. I don't have much of a chance, especially considering I won't be getting any migrants.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2008, 02:05:56 am »

I have hit something unexpected. A message just came up stating that migrants were to scared to make their journey this year. WTF? Is this a new feature because it has never happened before.

So maybe Playpapers will finally be destroyed. With only three able dwarves, a child and two injured dwarves. I don't have much of a chance, especially considering I won't be getting any migrants.
Its a new feature. You'll get migrants if not too many dwarves die for a period of time.

Good luck with that.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2008, 02:34:02 am »

wall you in for a while with some pumple helmet farm and survive until newxt group of dwarfs are comming ... (you could even then let this small group in for surviving (and for shoving more stozu attack :D))
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Hadriel

• Bay Watcher
  • M- Medic?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2008, 01:03:09 pm »

I just must venture that anyone who is turned on by the ASCII immage of a female Elf is utterly devoid of human contact, and should get a girlfriend or die trying...
Are you refering to that innuendo joke I made on page 2 or someone else's post?

Cowards, they're all cowards >:(
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 01:25:22 pm by Hadriel »
Urist McDwarf: 'Ey, Kogan. You're now known as Assbutt in human.
Kogan McDwarf: Damnit!
"Urist McMayor likes copper for its lustre, giant olms, and talking to small pebbles.  He has trouble opening doors.  He needs alcohol to get through breakfast."

Corak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2008, 03:47:20 pm »

For the sake of awesomeness, it might be worth it to break the siege AI for a year or two. Just close yourself in with no open doors so they mill around and eventually run away. With a few healthy dwarves, even with no experience, you can make plenty of plump helmets to survive. If you are low on seeds, well... you mentioned you had 40 war dogs...

The point is to survive until some immigrants come! Stozu must pay!

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2008, 03:50:49 pm »

For the sake of awesomeness, it might be worth it to break the siege AI for a year or two. Just close yourself in with no open doors so they mill around and eventually run away. With a few healthy dwarves, even with no experience, you can make plenty of plump helmets to survive. If you are low on seeds, well... you mentioned you had 40 war dogs...

The point is to survive until some immigrants come! Stozu must pay!

Preferable don't eat the dogs. That way you can sick 400 dogs on Stozu.  :P
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Grand_Marquis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2008, 04:54:06 pm »

Build walls.  Build walls, and then build walls around the walls.
Turn major hallways into long walls, with walls on either side.  Everywhere where there is currently a door, build a wall.  Don't even bother with an entrance.  If immigrants ever do show up again - god help them - just demolish one of the walls to let them in.

Now is a perfect opportunity to see if you can survive completely within your cave fortress, without ever going outside.

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2008, 10:01:44 pm »

Before i rant and rave at how supremely awsome it is that there is such a goblin that can destroy a fortress, i just must venture that anyone who is turned on by the ASCII immage of a female Elf is utterly devoid of human contact, and should get a girlfriend or die trying...

You realize that this is a forum for an ASCII game centering around short, hairy, drunken creatures?

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2008, 10:07:27 pm »

the cheesy easy way is just to dump his cage into a water/magma pit...

the most efficient way would be to setup a cage releaseso dwarves can safely fire at him, they might take joy in slaughter...

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2008, 10:09:30 pm »

Uhhhh he has 3 dwaves, he hasn't captured Stozu yet, and won't because he doesn't believe in cowardly traps.

edit; grammar
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2008, 07:33:43 am »

or he could just let slmaugther his last three if they cant defend themself in a normal way and continue on an other fortress in the same world so we can have even more Stozu attacks :D
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9