Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Voice of the people  (Read 2340 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Voice of the people
« on: August 13, 2008, 09:13:07 pm »

Okey-dokey, I gots myself a little di-lemma.  See, a lucky modder is one who has what he/she thinks is a good idea for a mod.  An unlucky modder is one who has several.

I'm part of the second group.

So here's how it goes...  I don't have a hell of a lot of time, so I'm going to ask what the public wants to deal with.  I've got three things asking to be made, and I want to know which one I should focus (somewhat) on.

First up is "Shooter".  Essentially, I wanted a gun, so I made one.  Then I made another one.  Then I found out that if you amped up the projectile damage, people could actually bleed to death after having their arm shot off, which I think would be the most likely response to such a situation.

Then I made lead ammo for the guns, but this weighed way too much, so I made it feather-light.  Then I saw the outrageous prices on ammo, so I toned it down to a "one coin, one bullet" principle.  After that, I replaced every other weapon with the new guns. 

Yes, I made a mod that overpowered the overpowered weapons.  And you know what?  It's damn fun getting your liver bashed in by a goblin priestess with her flashy gold-plated handgun while you make a desperate assassination attempt on the demon standing behind her.  And history has never known so many deaths...

This is basically where the mod is at now.  It's functional and bug-free, but it's pretty dry.  I intend to add a lot of monsters that are big enough to need a few bullets to go down, along with maybe a few more guns.  This is an adventure-mode mod, fort mode will have absolutely no support.  I'm not ready to deal with wooden bullets.

Second on the list is "Battle of the Sexes".  This is...  Well, it's a mod that gets a "mature" rating for being so immature.  Sexist stereotypes, blatant eroticism and giant mutant penises stalking the land (well, actually, they live in caves.  They fight with tribes of perverts who will steal random trinkets from your fort to satisfy their weird fetishes).  Yes, it's all that.

I don't really expect many people to vote for that one.  But it really is a laugh to work on, and there have been some new developments in recent versions that would add more flavor (such as men stealing women and then marrying them in worldgen).

Third up, we got "A Savage World".  This is set in what hints at being the world(s) of Dwarf Fortress in a time before the world was tamed and the modern races came forth.  Orcs, Kraven and the Scourge all squabble over the land that has not yet been snapped up by vicious beasts.  Main features include a complete overhaul.  I'm removing every major creature and building up the bestiary by scratch, and I promise to give you a reason to fear every biome.

I'll also fix a few things that have bothered me for a long time, such as the relative lack of impressiveness of feature creatures.  I'll be changing it so that every single creature that lives in a chasm will have flight capabilities.  And although the Giant Cave Spider will no longer be with us, be sure to keep a wary eye out for the Beelzebug.

I'll also put in a feature I've been thinking about that will help clean fortresses of excess stone, while also putting more emphasis on the metal industry.

I probably played that one up a bit too much.  Sure, it's the most feature-rich, but it will also take an insane amount of time to complete.  Think twice before voting for it.

Well, that's about it.  I would be perfectly happy working on any of these, and I can always get back to one of them after "finishing" (hah) one of the others.  I just hate quarter-assing several different projects at the same time.

Also, how the @!#$^ do I set up a poll?

EDIT:  Oh splat.  There's a completely different thread-creation button for it.  Bugger.

ivegotgoodabs

• Bay Watcher
  • Horo
    • View Profile
Re: Voice of the people
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 10:08:47 pm »

do the one with the walking dicks
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 10:13:41 pm by ivegotgoodabs »

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 10:20:35 pm »

The walking dicks is extremely original, now can we play a race of vaginas too?

ivegotgoodabs

• Bay Watcher
  • Horo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 10:30:00 pm »

The walking dicks is extremely original, now can we play a race of vaginas too?

this guy knows what's up

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 10:42:53 pm »

No, no playing as giant vaginas.  I may change "cat" to "pussy" however, if the majority so demands.

Besides, the game already has big squishies: 

"You have discovered a giant chasm cleft through the mountain"

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 11:32:39 pm »

Heh... I'd vote for the guns.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 01:52:25 am »

You came on the internet and expected people to vote against the one promising penis jokes and boobies?

Coincidentally, I'm going to vote for that one, just because I think it's funny.  And it's going to be funny because DF's complete lack of supporting infrastructure for the concept will create inappropriate mixups that'll make you want to gouge out your mind's eye.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 02:01:37 am »

The foreskin is pierced!
A wolf bites the shaft.
A wolf spits out a penis chunk.
A wolf bites the shaft.
It is smashed into an unrecognizable mass.
You are deceased!

Sheezy

• Bay Watcher
  • Jon Ban Jovi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 02:05:59 am »

The flying semen chunk hits the woman in the left eye! It is embedded in!
<Naze>   A baby crying in the cave!
<Naze>   Don't go in there woman!
<Naze>   Your not trained for mutant superbabies!

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 05:30:20 am »

GUNS. At least put up what you've done so far with it. I'd like to gen up a world with gunned out history.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 05:00:30 pm »

sage. sage! SAGE!!!
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 07:11:53 pm »

Uhh...  Why does this have to be bumped?  It's a voting booth, not a mod thread. 

But, since I'm taking off on the 17th, I won't be able to do much of anything.  I'll tidy up a couple things with the Shooter mod so it no longer says "bowman" and "crossbowman" for the gun skills, and take care of a couple other oddities, and then I'll release that version.   I'll work on the BoTS mod in Norway, if/when I get some time.

There are a few things I'd like to do with Shooter before "really" releasing it, but that'll have to wait for a later version.  First thing to do is remove shields (see how that works out...) and then take out the elven wood preferences (can't have wooden guns, now can we?).

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 12:59:25 am »

sage. sage! SAGE!!!

You're doing it wrong.  Very wrong.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 10:15:59 am »

sage. sage! SAGE!!!

You're doing it wrong.  Very wrong.

Oh. OK.

How do do it right?
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 12:57:26 pm »

Sage is used when you disapprove of a topic and don't want it bumped.  Posting 'sage' on a forum just doesn't work, and it goes in the email field on *chans.
Pages: [1] 2