Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves make the craziest things  (Read 2137 times)

zenny

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarves make the craziest things
« on: August 13, 2008, 03:49:25 pm »

Hello, new poster.  Been meaning to post before but I never really had too much of interesting things to post...till now.
I am still a newb to DF, only been playing recently, so im still learning some of the ropes...like trying not to get my miners killed by something dumb I did.

Anyways...my little dwarf fortress was being slowly built and I needed some wood. I sent some woodcutters just beyond the gates of my fortress when...the dreaded rhesus macaques decided to play with the dwarves.  Unfortuantly, the woodcutters brought the silly things to the fort where they ran rampant throughout the fortress doing nothing other than scare the poor dwarves.  Finally, I had some immiagrants come and I made a couple of them into recruits where they, with the help of the woodcutters, finally killed the pesky buggers.

But a little later, my bonecarver got into a fey mood! He claimed the craftsdwarf shop and took some bone and some wood and made this:

I dont know about you but I dont want to go near that thing. Tis a shame I cant use that for decoration on the main gates, I am sure a floodgate made out of monkey bones would prolly scare off a few locals.

Dwarves make such the oddest things.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves make the craziest things
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 05:25:35 pm »

Oi try thongs with pictures of faries on them.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 08:14:23 pm »

My current fort has "The Chastity of Ruin", a naked mole dog leather loincloth. :P
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 08:15:58 pm »

You can build it somewhere and it increases the value of the room.

Nobles might enjoy an artifact floodgate.

EvilCheerio

• Bay Watcher
  • Whats Candlejack doing h
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 08:59:48 pm »

I think increase is an understatement. You could have a 2x1 room with that floodgate in the back, and a bed in the front, and it would be considered royal quality. Well, thats how it works with most furniture. Thats what happeneded with my artifact weapon rack.
Delicious wine biscuits
 A real dwarf can survive on meals consisting of Wine, beer, and more wine.

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 05:59:22 am »

One of my dwarves made a floodgate out of purple spinels, one of my first artefacts ever. I put it proudly on display in the dining room for them to gawp at while they ate. They loved it so much images of it cropped up on about three other artefacts.
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 08:18:11 am »

My favorite artifact that I made in my last fort was a harlequin opal door. Yes, a door, made of gems. It was something like a harlequin opal door menacing with spikes of obsidian and engraved with a scene of the fortresses's founding in platinum, worth about 125,000 dwarfbux.

I made it the King's bedroom door.  :D

Edit: also what was awesome was that the middle symbol for the door was the gemstone symbol, *, rather than the usual + sign for doors.

Ruttiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://https://server2.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/s/p1/
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 06:51:16 pm »

I once got a leather skirt that was adorned with hanging rings and all sorts spikes.  Dwarves like weird stuff.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 09:51:06 pm »

Incidentally, there are a lot more rhesus macaques in DF then there are in the world...
It seems like there's groups of 50-100 of them in every fortress area I embark upon...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Eatnobles4breakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 12:20:31 am »

My idiot bone carver went fey on me, and grabbed ONE TURTLE SHELL. Somehow, with all his immiganation, he turned it into an earing with bands of turtle shell on it...the worst artifact in the history of the dwarf-a-verse...
Dastog Eatsnobles is posessed with a lazy mood!
Dastog Eatsnobles cancels be useful: in a lazy mood
Dastog Eatsnobles has claimed a wooden couch!
Dastog Eatsnobles is now a legendary peasant!

JustinKace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 01:20:34 am »

Worst ever? I think not!I was once blessed with a mudstone scepter that menaced with spikes of mudstone.
K

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 01:29:00 am »

In my new fortress I just had my first mood. It was a possession >:(. If that wasn't bad enough, the object he made was simply a kaolinite sceptre with birch spikes, only worth 3500 monies. AND he kicked out my master craftsdwarf to make it. He's lucky I don't send him hunting cougars/ use him to test my elf trap.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 01:45:39 am »

In my most recent fortress, one of my woodworkers made a birch scepter studded with gems named "the perishment of women".  That's right, my craftsdwarf just went out and built a pimp cane.

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 04:22:11 am »

My possessed dwarf just churned out a claystone crown decorated with claystone.  Image of a mountain and a boot on it.

Frankly I find it charming because it was my very first artifact.  But since I can't sell it, build it or use it as a weapon or armour, what use is it to me?

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 11:47:01 am »

One of my dwarves just made a leather loincloth called the stalker of peaking. I initially read this as "the Stalker of Peeking", which led me to believe that my dwarves have some dirty, dirty minds.
Pages: [1] 2