Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lighthouses  (Read 2177 times)

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lighthouses
« on: August 13, 2008, 12:03:23 am »

Has anyone built one?

I was wondering how to light it.  The only thing I can think of is to pump magma to the top and have a glass window pool of it.  Or pumping the magma up and letting it flow out the sides.

I geuss I could have a non functioning one witha wood stockpile and what not too.

Any suggestions?

hexrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lighthouses
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 12:05:11 am »

im not sure i would invest the time in building such a thing unless toady implemented overseas/river trade, or perhaps boat travel or something.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 12:41:55 am »

Lol, building completely pointless things is what I enjoy most about dwarf fortress.  Im building a fortress not trying to 'win' the game.

Besides I have no idea whats going to crawl out of that haunted ocean it'd be great if I had a tower pointlessly spewing lava into it.

Speaking of which does anyone know if it is possible to make piles down into the ocean by shooting lava into the ocean? I geuss it would need supports or it would collapse as soon as it hits..

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 01:25:49 am »

I geuss it would need supports or it would collapse as soon as it hits..

I have not tried it, but i'd assume it'd create piles. It will collapse, yes, but becuase it will create a solid *natural* obsidian wall, it should reform at the bottom after it collapses.

I could see there being a problem of doing it a bit at a time if you wanted anything larger than 1*1 though (eg for a stairwell), because bits would be supported from the side as it built up, and you'd be left with overhangs. eg
Side view
Code: [Select]
~~~###
~~~~##
~~~###

I think this could be remedied by setting up a seal-able chamber, floored by a bridge, where you want to create the pile. drop the lava for the entire layer all at once.

Hmm, i have my next crazy project: an underwater fort under the natural ocean.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 01:27:36 am by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 01:47:08 am »

Has anyone built one?

I was wondering how to light it...Any suggestions?

Pit a captive fireman/imp in the top?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 02:41:41 am »

Has anyone built one?

This is why dwarves never developed a sailing tradition.  Their lighthouses are freaking terrifying.

Urist McHighseas, Captain cancels dock: interrupted by fireman.
Hillfreezes, Galleon has collided with an object!

Would have a lot more purpose once the lighting arc is completed at least.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 02:46:06 am »

I think this could be remedied by setting up a seal-able chamber, floored by a bridge, where you want to create the pile. drop the lava for the entire layer all at once.

Hmm, i have my next crazy project: an underwater fort under the natural ocean.

THat does sound cool, it'd be like building with prefab concrete or prefab buildings.  Definitely wortha  try.

Has anyone built one?

I think i've settled on pumping magma all over the place (only cause I thought of a neat tower design for it though), but that is definitely a thought I'm now considering.  Too bad there's no HFS on the map...

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 03:08:19 am »

My plan for a lighthouse (To act as the entrance to my Rapture fortress) would have been capped with a gold statue surrounded by windows.  Not completely accurate, but as good a simulation as any, especially since I'd be making the lake myself and the lighthouse would serve no useful purpose even if boat travel WAS in.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 03:13:18 am »

You could only light it when it rained or something using magma to light it and a booze stockpile. Im definately going to have to try this, now I need cliffs, by the ocean, with magma. Im going to absent for the next hour looking for this place arent I?

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 11:17:55 am »

My current fort is no lighthouse, but it does fit a lot of what you have said, i.e. tower pumping magma.

However mine will be coming out of a volcano. When i came up with the idea, i had been considering the under-sea fort using magma. It has been done to a small extent by other and I hear it takes a very long time to build under the water. Maybe a magma-duct (lava version of aquaduct) would facilitate it more. I will certainly know a lot more about the magma/water construction method when my project is finished.

Here the link to my current projects thread: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=22590.0
I got nothing

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 12:46:08 pm »

Oooo I've anted to do the tower in the ven t thing for a while too, it allways seems like a real hassle though.  Can you upload the map I'd love to see it.

Given that the lighthouse is quite far from the magma vent my problem is going to be flow control because magma moves so slow.  Does anyone know if pumps increase magma speed?  Also does anyone know if the mechanisms will get melted or are they on the outside (and are the only axle materials wood?)?

(I knew I forgot to bring something, I wonder if I can get bauxite some other way...)

Heron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 02:34:04 pm »

It has been done to a small extent by other and I hear it takes a very long time to build under the water.

Now I have to try building a large completely enclosed room out on the edge of a floor bridge and dropping it into the sea.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 03:15:05 pm »

A room that mysterioulsy houses your nobles and soap makers.

Heron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 03:31:42 pm »

If anyone was going to try a submarine made entirely from stone, it'd be a dwarven noble.

Ubersoldat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 03:45:52 pm »

If anyone was going to try a submarine made entirely from stone, it'd be a dwarven noble.

No, it'd be made from lay pewter.
Pages: [1] 2