Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: WAR, what is it good for?  (Read 2568 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
WAR, what is it good for?
« on: August 13, 2008, 12:01:31 am »

Cheap thrills, that's what war's good for.

Anyways, it seems that it's pretty hard to get two civilizations to be at war.  Sadly, it seems many wars resolve themself in previous epics.

Any ideas how to cause more wars, and to keep them going?

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Re: WAR, what is it good for?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 12:04:15 am »

Methods have been described before.

a) Make the races able to live on biomes that match with each other. Guaranteed they'll go to war. You may have to save the seeds and pause it at certain times though because they will not only go to war, they will thoroughly conquer each other and you'll be left with, say, just humans.

b) Make their ethics opposing. UNTHINKABLE is the opposite of ACCEPTABLE and they will often find reasons to war each other because of whatever reason.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 12:11:13 am »

Thanks, sorry I didn't look more carefully first.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 02:17:56 am »

b) Make their ethics opposing. UNTHINKABLE is the opposite of ACCEPTABLE and they will often find reasons to war each other because of whatever reason.

Imagine two races going to war because one has [ETHIC:NOSE_PICKING:UNTHINKABLE] and the other has [ETHIC:NOSE_PICKING:ACCEPTABLE].  :P

Quote from: Legends screen
The main cause of this conflict was a dispute over the picking of noses.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 02:45:34 am »

Hi!

Actually, there are a few aspects in the extended parameters which may have a positive impact on your chances:

1. Number of civs: The default numbers are rather conservative. For a MEDIUM world, go for those 100 civs -> overcrowding gallore.

2. No high savagery: Civs won't settle in high savagery areas (I don't know about secondary settlements, though), so high savagery areas could turn into buffer zones isolating civs from each other.

3. Population cap: You can nullify that value. Actually, you should. This way, you will get those great empires spreading the map...

4. Caves: Caves hamper civ development as the inhabitants attack and sometimes even destroy settlements.

5. Terrain variation: If you set these values very low, maybe even two-digits, you will get connected zones of similar nature, like long mountain chains or great plains. This should help avoid the situation that dwarves live in one mountain chain and goblins in a completely different one. Having great forests also helps keep the elves in play as they need a large hinterland if they are to survive contact with the humans.

6. Terrain types: Kick out all unhabitable terrain: oceans, swamps, deserts. You may also consider reducing good and evil. It seems that evil can only be inhabitated by goblins if we are talking evil mountains and good forests are a place elves can found their retreats. Other races seem to find them a barrier.

7. Historic Figures: Well, this is just a thought and it may be completely wrong, but since culling affects history development, it may be worthwhile turning it off in hope to have more reasons for war. Again, I do not know whether this is the case.

With these measures in place (and of course ignoring megabeast death), you could try generating a world and then look in legends for an era with lots of unfinished wars. Create a world with the same seed but with the ending date right in the middle of it, and at least theoretically, you should have your little war world.

Good luck!

Deathworks

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 12:30:41 am »

Absolutely nuthin!

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 12:37:37 am »

If you check out my new mod it has many ideas and if genned too long civs will utterly eliminate each other, hence the world gen ideas at the bottom.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=22934.0
Also, search for the ETHICS thread I started as I did extensive research on world gen wars and how to induce them.

Check out the spheres list on the wiki. Having civs worship directly opposite spheres = war. In my mod demon/fire worshipping hellspawn and orcs endlessly declare war on the SEA HUMANS for river/ocean worship.

Civs have to live close to each other. This was covered before, same/close biomes and enough of them. Go to entity_default and mod biome civ tags.

Removing the [intelligent] tag in creature_standard raw and having [can_civ][can_learn] instead means the civ will go to war with everyone for inability to communicate. Hellspawn in my mod declare war on everyone.

Opposite ethics as mentioned in entity default.

If they live in different CITY types, they will create ruins, however, if everyone lives in CITY instead of DARKFORTRESS and TREE_CITY, the attackers will occupy towns sometimes and continue to expand, eliminating the defenders in other towns until that civ is gone.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 12:51:54 am by KaelGotDwarves »

grukobok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 02:19:48 am »

Hey, nice topic!

I'm just starting to learn DF. I've played a couple fortress's for up to about 3-4 years so far, but haven't seen anything other than a crazed caravan leader and a kobold thief. I want to make the environment a little more dangerous.

Races.. I know that you can replace [INTELLIGENT] with [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_CIV] to make a race, like goblins, always declare war. The problem I see is how do you increase the odds that a race like that will survive? A race that always declaes war is going to have a hard time when everyone is fighting them! Again, how do I increase the odds that they'll survive? Please, answer the question in precise terms so I can duplicate it myself. I'm an experienced programmer so I know somewhat how these things work.

I also want to know how I can increase the population of megabeasts without destroying all the races.

It'll be great when toady finishes the army arc and we can start to create our own conflicts by attacking other civs. Right now I feel locked away in my fortress and caravans are my only gateway to the outside world. This doesn't feel very suspensful or invovling - instead feels very isolated. I know that this is done in part to speed up the framerate, but I also know that toady is still working on things so it's not possible at this point.

Any advice? Any links you can point me too?

Edit:
Hey, I added this after posting the above. I was wonder whether or not removing [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] and adding [liTTERSIZE:1:3] to goblins (in the creatures standard file) would increase their odds of survivng worldgen so they can make war with me when I set out to build a fortress?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 04:44:50 am by grukobok »

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 09:06:14 am »

Make the littersize 5:10. Or even 10:20. Or 100:200.

That would make the goblins too many. Like in the LOTR canon.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 09:08:28 am »

That would make the goblins too many. Like in the LOTR canon.

100:200? I gotta try that out just for fun, combined with no population cap.  ;D

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 09:27:31 am »

I've had success with the goblins by removing the babysnatcher tag, and replacing intelligent with can civ and can learn. You have to create a fortress, and they'll automatically attack it, starting a war with the parent civ. Altho this isn't the best way to do it, it is a good alternative.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 10:59:31 am »

Poor goblin women. Especially since all of the children are born in the same instant...
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 11:34:26 am »

Poor goblin women. Especially since all of the children are born in the same instant...

Hm, Im wondering how does a goblin woman looks like!  ;D
[and also dwarf woman... :D]

grukobok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 12:21:24 am »

Would I get more goblin attacks, if I built my fortress near a goblin fortress? How close do I have to build my fortress to a goblin fotress, if it indeed helps?

So increasing the litter size of goblins and making it so that multiple litters aren't rare will increase their population? And does it follow that an increased goblin population, assuming it survives worldgen, mean that they'll attack you more often?

In review, I don't know very much about current ambushes/seiges, not enough to say whether or not it's based on actual population numbers or proximity to your enemy.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 05:37:15 am »

Would I get more goblin attacks, if I built my fortress near a goblin fortress? How close do I have to build my fortress to a goblin fotress, if it indeed helps?

So increasing the litter size of goblins and making it so that multiple litters aren't rare will increase their population? And does it follow that an increased goblin population, assuming it survives worldgen, mean that they'll attack you more often?

In review, I don't know very much about current ambushes/seiges, not enough to say whether or not it's based on actual population numbers or proximity to your enemy.

It means more historical figures from goblins. Historical figures can train, so they will be legendary, elite, etc. Your usual goblin horde is made by the RNG, so there is no attack addup. Or I could be wrong.

Still, the goblins' towers is open for your doom! They will numbered thousands! even hundreds of thousands!

PS: Put them against the elves (make them 100:200 too) and tell us the result,.
Pages: [1] 2