Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: WAR, what is it good for?  (Read 2567 times)

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WAR, what is it good for?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 07:31:55 pm »

Would I get more goblin attacks, if I built my fortress near a goblin fortress? How close do I have to build my fortress to a goblin fotress, if it indeed helps?

So increasing the litter size of goblins and making it so that multiple litters aren't rare will increase their population? And does it follow that an increased goblin population, assuming it survives worldgen, mean that they'll attack you more often?

In review, I don't know very much about current ambushes/seiges, not enough to say whether or not it's based on actual population numbers or proximity to your enemy.

It means more historical figures from goblins. Historical figures can train, so they will be legendary, elite, etc. Your usual goblin horde is made by the RNG, so there is no attack addup. Or I could be wrong.

Still, the goblins' towers is open for your doom! They will numbered thousands! even hundreds of thousands!

PS: Put them against the elves (make them 100:200 too) and tell us the result,.
I tried a world with fast breeding humans and elves. The goblins did pretty well for themselves actually. They were able to capture lots of babies so their forts were able to defend themselves. However it usually ended up with a goblin civ that was mostly made up of humans and elves led by the one surviving goblin.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

cecilkorik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 10:23:00 pm »

Would I get more goblin attacks, if I built my fortress near a goblin fortress? How close do I have to build my fortress to a goblin fotress, if it indeed helps?

I would say, from purely anecdotal evidence (~10 forts) that it absolutely does make a significant difference. My forts that are miles away from any civ are rarely attacked, the one in between two goblin towers on the edge of a goblin-controlled mountain range is basically swarming with the little jerks. I haven't got many sieges in my forts, not enough to make any sort of guess whether they might be affected, but the ambushes are almost certainly affected from what I can see. In the latter fort, I've had 3 ambushes lead by goblins with "legendary" names, one of whom was a Local leader/Goblin Mace Lord. Fortunately my sole on-duty marksdwarf got a lucky shot in and nailed him right through both lungs.

But I digress. Yes, I believe your proximity to Goblin civilization does affect both the strength and numbers of the goblin attacks as well as how often. With ambushes at least, and probably sieges too. As for how far away, my Goblin-swarmed fort was about 6 tiles away from the goblin towers on the Region map during Embark... But I think you can be further away than that and still get plenty of goblins.

Note that you can check on the Embark screen if your fort is accessible to goblins by pressing "tab" once or twice. It will list all nearby civs.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 10:24:44 pm by cecilkorik »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 11:33:19 pm »

Also note that the embark screen will only give you an "all-or-nothing" view.
Basically it only tells you if they have access to you, not how much they'll try to access you.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

grukobok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 05:15:42 am »

Also note that the embark screen will only give you an "all-or-nothing" view.
Basically it only tells you if they have access to you, not how much they'll try to access you.

Hey! I was just browsing when it kind of occured to me that this kind of stuff can make the the game boring, if you know how it works. Lol. For me though I like to understand the technical details and how it can be improved. However, in-game the ignorance can actually make it a bit funner. If you don't know that the ai doesn't plan and attempt to cut you off as a hated enemy, seiges and ambushes can seem much more thrilling and hostile. Man, I really do look forward to the army arc when we can attack our enemies directly rather than through adventure mode or by means of killing them when they ambush/seige.

Yer point is understood though. I think only toady really knows the answer.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 05:18:54 am by grukobok »

Archaeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Predator Angrinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 03:41:21 am »

Nonsense.

War' it's good for you.  It's good for me.

It strengthens the Dwarven Economy.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 05:29:15 am »

Let's not forget how WAR promotes research and development (which end do I use on this sword?), and acts as an important countermeasure to overpopulation (I don't even have to make some joke about this one).

Also, read my opening post on this topic.  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]