Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LCS as a conspiracy-type game  (Read 1121 times)

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
LCS as a conspiracy-type game
« on: August 12, 2008, 09:22:41 pm »

I've been reading the Illuminatus trilogy recently, and I can't help but think that with some tweaks (ok, major tweaks), LCS could be turned into a conspiracy type of game.  Rather than working on changing government, you work on changing/controlling society and fighting against other conspiracies (Discordians vs Illuminati, or what have you).

Not really sure how I'd go about making such a change, but it's crossed my mind recently and I thought I'd toss it out there to see if there's anybody else who thinks it might be a neat thing to work on.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: LCS as a conspiracy-type game
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 10:10:29 pm »

What sort of major tweaks come to mind for this?

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 10:50:08 pm »

Honestly, I'm not certain.  I'm not well-versed enough in the genre to have a good appreciation for what elements would be necessary to convey the right mood and feel.  The idea of switching things from a liberal-conservative axis to one where there would be multiple groups each trying to undo each other.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be disappearing for a week here, so I'm going to have to put any sort of deeper thought on the subject on hold.  I just wanted to capture the idea before it slipped away.  I'm really interested in expanding on the idea because there's just something about how LCS presents itself that just cries out for things like the Bavarian Illuminati to be included.  At least to me.  I fully admit that I just might be alone in that.   ;D

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 03:40:57 pm »

I think if the political and social system were upgraded (with lenses so that as a liberal, you only see issues in terms of liberal/conservative even though they're really more complex than that) as in the other threads on the subject, that it would be really simple to set this sort of thing up. 

Secret societies, for example, wouldn't care about the laws or congress, but would focus exclusively on what the population cares about, and would have status menus and such changed to suit.

If the opinion / issues system was upgraded enough, and perhaps even moved to a "RAW"s like system, you could probably even make the game into a full fledged ""Paranoia" game, with Alpha Complex instead of America, and issues focused on Mutant Rights or Knowledge of Outside.

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 03:45:01 pm »

:O

Another Paranoid!

I love that game. You should catch me on JParanoia some time and we'll play a game or something.
This is not a signature.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 03:52:30 pm »

or, you know, you could run a campaign in the forum. That's how I found out about it.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 09:55:55 pm »

Oh, no kidding. Well, you'd still need the client if you don't have it. It makes things real easy. Check it out if you get a chance and maybe Friend Computer will have to come online sometime soon.
This is not a signature.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 10:20:58 pm »

Heck, I have playtesting credits for Paranoia (back when it was XP)...