Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need some expensive roads  (Read 2963 times)

Solmyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need some expensive roads
« on: August 12, 2008, 02:54:54 am »

So I have a Duke, and in order for the King to arrive, all I need is 7500 worth of roads. However, with basic stone roads being cheap as hell, I'm at loss of how to satisfy that requirement other than build some roads out of solid gold. Is that the way to do it?

galmud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need some expensive roads
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 03:02:31 am »

I'm in the same situation. I have  gold but I dont wanna waste that on roads.

I built a piece of stone road but seems I need to cover the entire map to match the requirement.

Nomadic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 03:03:54 am »

Unless I am mistaken soap is quite valuable and making a road from it (while silly) might just fulfill the prereqs. I can just see the king slipping his way down to your fort.

Teeto_K

• Bay Watcher
  • Deforesting Woodland Biomes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 04:17:31 am »

Magnetite is 8 times as valuable as non-economic stone. If you've got large deposits of it, you could use that, by enabling it's use in the Z-Stones menu.
Refar Wrote:
They have not mastered the art of safe fishing, safe drinking of booze, safe [you name it]... Why would someone think they mastered safe sex?

How I dorf:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3901-thecitadelofartifice

Boatmurderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 04:27:39 am »

The only other thing I can see doing is to go for quantity, and pave every walkable surface of your fort. Would it be considered more valuable (if TREMENDOUSLY time consuming) to build up your roads one square at a time rather than in large chunks? It would stand to reason since you'd be putting all of a selection of stone/brick in one square rather than spreading it out over 4 tiles per selection.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 07:05:26 am »

Just rip down your gold roads and replace them with stone ones once he arrives ;)
Magma is overrated.

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 07:13:15 am »

Request some native gold, native platinum and horn silver blocks from the human caravan? I don't remember if you can request blocks from the dwarven one, too, but if you can, get some from the dwarves too.

Sularus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 07:58:31 am »

If you have access to magma and water I would reccomend using obsidian blocks to make the road.
regular stone = 1
obsidian raw= 3
stone blocks = 5
obsidian blocks = 15

And yes building your road 1 square at a time will increase the overall value because one stone = upto 3 road tiles. So if you use 3 instead of one your getting 3x the value out of the same amount of space.

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 08:18:38 am »

Can't you use metal blocks for roads? At least i remember making an electrum road to get my royalty.

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 08:43:48 am »

Clear glass blocks make for a good road, if you've sand, magma and plenty of wood.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3259-zenithlancers

That was enough to get the Queen.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 08:45:45 am by John Johnston »
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 10:00:51 am »

So I have a Duke, and in order for the King to arrive, all I need is 7500 worth of roads.

Er, newbie here. How do you know that you need 7500 worth of roads? Is this something the Duke tells you?

I've got about 100 dwarves in my fortress now, but no Dukes or anything (I did get a Dungeon Master last time, though). No sieges yet, either, which is a little disappointing. It's been a bit dull lately, with no dangerous animals and only a few goblin ambushes to worry about. I suppose that will change, eventually.

Thanks,

Bill

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 12:52:11 pm »

back in the old days, we made our roads GRAND, i tell you:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-640-entranceroad

Solmyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 01:39:18 pm »

Er, newbie here. How do you know that you need 7500 worth of roads? Is this something the Duke tells you?

Once you have a Baron/Count/Duke, you get "the incoming King" on the nobles screen and the requirements are listed there.

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 03:07:08 pm »

I managed the road requirement pretty easily by using dolomite blocks to build with, and making it 4 spaces wide.  Blocks of economic stone are sufficient to the task.  What you probably need to do is remove your rough stone roads and replace with smooth ones made of blocks of whatever is common at your site.  If that isn't sufficient, build towards one of the other sides, or build a courtyard or something.  I'd guess that it is the move from unworked stone to blocks that is the improvement you need to make.

MoonMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 03:09:15 pm »

So I have a Duke, and in order for the King to arrive, all I need is 7500 worth of roads. However, with basic stone roads being cheap as hell, I'm at loss of how to satisfy that requirement other than build some roads out of solid gold. Is that the way to do it?

A road made from one bar of masterpiece dragon tallow soap will be worth twice that much. The easy way is to just build it out of platinum bars or something.
Pages: [1] 2