Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Expedition Names  (Read 4277 times)

Zakastra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Expedition Names
« on: August 11, 2008, 05:28:43 pm »

It seems that the random generator threw up an interesting name for my Expedition, "The Taut Bodice" possibly named after the female leader of the expedition Datan Zonegen "helmgifted" (Bit of a euphasism there, maybe?) and her Impressive Attributes. I suppose I may have to erect statues in her honour. (Busts of course)

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Expedition Names
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 05:38:22 pm »

The RNG can read minds now with the update :o
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Pexxithan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 11:41:32 pm »

It seems that the random generator threw up an interesting name for my Expedition, "The Taut Bodice" possibly named after the female leader of the expedition Datan Zonegen "helmgifted" (Bit of a euphasism there, maybe?) and her Impressive Attributes. I suppose I may have to erect statues in her honour. (Busts of course)

So many innuendos.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 11:51:17 pm »

To be honest naming your group and whatnot can be fun, granted I usually randomly generate names till I find one I like. The civilization names should be given the same treatment, there usually isn't any decent names for em.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 03:18:56 pm »

The first time I didn't even know about this and ended up with a fortress "The Dented Rampart" (pretty sweet) and embark group "The Abyssal Diamond" (even sweeter)
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Ancient Whale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 05:55:47 pm »

I also random generate fortress and group names until I find something I like. My current fortress is called "Roomdeath", founded by "The Earthen Floors".

Ironically, I have never resorted to any kind of deathchambers(by magma or drowning or else) in any fortress(been playing since before 3d) and the fortress has a very open and bright layout. In the third year, the only conflicts have been with mandrills, who killed one dog and made away with a newly bought shield, and some kobolds, one of which stole some giant cave spider silk cloth and another was torn apart by Pricedarch the war dog.

There, however, are elephants roaming the countryside, but so far they have only run away from my dwarves. We'll see if this lasts...

Airpi

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:whimsy
    • View Profile
    • I say things. Often.
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 10:35:29 pm »

The best random name I got was "The Geared Raptors." Clockwork cyborg raptors? Armored raptors? Either way its awesome.
⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ    ⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ

erendor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 11:47:36 pm »

Nòmtob, "Godsmash".  Founded by the group "The Domain of Demons".

A rather nice little area, too.  a 3x7 fort with Sinister (Zombie elephants!!) forest, plenty of mountains (partially aquifered), a chasm, and HFS in some little corner.  I thought the aquifer was actually a cave river...does anyone know how to tell what the symbols on the region map /mean/ when you have them set to show "ALWAYS"? (I guessed the HFS one, but the rest I'm unsure.  I think the 'well-symbol' might be a pit?)

Oh, and the founding civilization was 'The Palisade of Locks'...and apparently they're the only people who can reach me here.  Dang.  I wanted goblins and elves and humans.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 03:23:27 am »

Kekimrakust - Splatteredtombs founded by "the Sword of Eviscerators"

my first embark where I brought only military dwarves :)

XmasApe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 08:34:32 am »

At present, the dwarves of the Attic of Labor (an offshoot group of the dwarven civ The Glorious Basement) work to construct the Tower of Sacrifices atop the peak of a small (3-level) mountain overlooking a broad plain (that leads to evil mountains in the east).

Can you guess how Goblins will die when the Tower is complete?
That's right. Ground poisoning*.

* In modern contexts, they call this "cement poisoning". Get it now?