Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hammocks  (Read 1402 times)

Heron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hammocks
« on: August 11, 2008, 02:55:08 pm »

I hate having to chop for wood, so I was wondering whether it would be possible to add the capability to make hammocks from the usual cloth materials.

As far as I can tell, the necessary files haven't been exported from the code to raw files yet - would I correct in saying this?

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hammocks
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 03:47:36 pm »

Even if you can't make a new item, you could make a reaction somewhere that made beds out of cloth.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 03:59:23 pm »

The unfortunate part of the Raw system is that most furniture is not in there - this includes statues and beds.

Stones, weapons, critters, languages, smelter reactions, armour, and kitchen reactions seem to be the only modifiable things in the raw folder.

So you can't add in a new piece of furniture - sorry.

But yes, you could use the reactions document to create cloth beds via the smelter. Make sure to set the fuel to zero though, so you don't end up using charcoal.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 06:10:50 pm »

Toady has indicated that he wants to move more stuff into the raws to allow for more modding possibilities, but thats a long term thing.

Heron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 12:27:56 pm »

Okay, so working on the creation of pig tail cloth beds instead of proper hammocks, I've been trying this:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:BED_PLANT_TAIL_PIG]
[NAME:make cloth beds]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:100:1:CLOTH:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT:GRASS_TAIL_PIG]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BED:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT:GRASS_TAIL_PIG]

and variations upon - it does produce a bed, but doesn't consume cloth - I assume, from the error log, that that cloth isn't a proper type of cloth - it produces something *named* Pig Tail cloth when I set it as a product instead of a reagent, but I don't think it's the genuine article.

I don't suppose anyone could point me to a successful cloth reaction? I've searched the modding forum and the wiki, with no luck.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 12:35:02 pm »

Are you sure this works? I'm pretty sure that you can get no the GRASS_TAIL_PIG but something different instead.
I should try it at home. I haven't played with creature/plant reactions for long so I forgot a lot about the issues here.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Fringe_Worthy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 03:47:53 pm »

But yes, you could use the reactions document to create cloth beds via the smelter. Make sure to set the fuel to zero though, so you don't end up using charcoal.

But it's so dwarven to forge your own food and cloth....

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 05:10:08 pm »

I don't suppose anyone could point me to a successful cloth reaction? I've searched the modding forum and the wiki, with no luck.
I believe that this mod is likely to include what you're looking for.  It's mostly about making glass beds, but I believe some of the reactions include cloth in the ingredients as well.

Heron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 06:04:18 pm »

I believe that this mod is likely to include what you're looking for.  It's mostly about making glass beds, but I believe some of the reactions include cloth in the ingredients as well.

Aha! Yes! Many thanks - for those playing at home, the key issue I'd missed was this:
[REAGENT:100:1:CLOTH:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT:GRASS_TAIL_PIG]

Reagents don't have a chance to not get used - you have to delete that field. :)

D'oh. All works fine now - as:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:BED_PLANT_TAIL_PIG]
[NAME:make cloth beds]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:CLOTH:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT:GRASS_TAIL_PIG]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BED:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT:GRASS_TAIL_PIG]

(Though remember it won't find cloth within bins, as far as I know.)

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 08:58:23 pm »

forgive me for sounding like a complete nub, but why is it we can't have this procedure come out of a clothier's shop?
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

Heron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 09:22:27 pm »

Stones, weapons, critters, languages, smelter reactions, armour, and kitchen reactions seem to be the only modifiable things in the raw folder.
forgive me for sounding like a complete nub, but why is it we can't have this procedure come out of a clothier's shop?

I couldn't find anything on modding other shops - as far as I know it isn't possible yet. Though if you know otherwise I'd very much like to make the shift. :)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 04:09:35 am »

Reactions only work at a smelter for now, until Toady adds in support for reactions at other buildings.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.