Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Updated DF will not boot up  (Read 872 times)

Easty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Updated DF will not boot up
« on: August 11, 2008, 02:47:31 pm »

Many many moons ago I updated DF by simply unzipping the new .zip file in the old folder I had previously unzipped the last version into.
I now realise this was some sort of horrible horrible mistake.
Now, whenever I double-click dwarfort.exe, nothing will happen.
I'll get the prompt box asking me whether I want fullscreen, but no matter what I click nothing will appear.
Dwarfort.exe shows up if I go to Task Manager and check the 'Processes' tab, but that's it.
I've tried a number of things from deleting the old folder and rezipping to a new one, to deleting every trace of Dwarf Fortress from my registry and the same thing still happens. Grrrrrr.
Please help!

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Updated DF will not boot up
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 04:07:10 pm »

You're probably unzipping it all into the same directory. Your unzip program should have an option like "preserve directories" or something like that--check it and see if that helps.
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Easty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 04:13:56 pm »

You're probably unzipping it all into the same directory. Your unzip program should have an option like "preserve directories" or something like that--check it and see if that helps.

Nope, I've tried that I'm afraid. All pathnames are intact.
I'm on XP, if that helps at all.

Havlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 05:33:41 pm »

Have you tried changing the init.txt so that DF starts up in windowed or fullscreen mode directly? The "windowed/fullscreen" prompt may be bugged for you right now.

Easty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 05:38:08 pm »

Have you tried changing the init.txt so that DF starts up in windowed or fullscreen mode directly? The "windowed/fullscreen" prompt may be bugged for you right now.

Still nothing :(

Havlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 08:39:50 pm »

Maybe your OpenGL support is messed up in some way, and not displaying the DF game window. Try running another program that uses OpenGL for display and see what happens.

Keishin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 10:15:10 pm »

Sounds like it could be similar to my issue, as summarized here.
Quote from: zagibu
Don't ask how many times I've accidentally spawned an alligator completely covered in adamantine with a battle axe strapped to its tail.

Wistil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 10:21:38 pm »

I've had this same problem but quickly found that DF never closed correctly the last time I exited out.  Just kill the process in the task manager to fix it.  It might have something to do with Windows98 compatibility which I'm using to force DF onto a single processor.

Baneslave

• Bay Watcher
  • Claymore Thrower Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 11:39:21 pm »

Many many moons ago I updated DF by simply unzipping the new .zip file in the old folder I had previously unzipped the last version into.

You really shouldn't update DF by unzipping it in the old folder. Always make a new folder so the old and new files don't conflict.
[BUTCHERABLE_SIGNATURE]

Havlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 01:36:03 pm »

OK Easty, here's something else to try: reinstall DF using the previous released version, and let us know if it works or not. There's a pretty good chance that the new expanded viewport feature is messing up things, so best to check for that now. Good luck.

Easty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 05:06:56 pm »

OK Easty, here's something else to try: reinstall DF using the previous released version, and let us know if it works or not. There's a pretty good chance that the new expanded viewport feature is messing up things, so best to check for that now. Good luck.

Well, I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it so much that I've no idea what version I was using...
I've tried some INTERNET DETECTIVESHIP and downloaded all the possible versions it could have been.
I know it was before the z-axis was implemented. I think.
But still no luck, at the moment.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 12:50:50 pm »

Do not, under any circumstances, EVER extract to the old folder.
Files change and files conflict, best case scenario the game works 90% the way it should.
When you extract over the old folder, it never works perfectly.  Never.
But anyway, uh, sounds like an OpenGL problem.  Try installing new GPU drivers.
There are no traces of DF in the registry to begin with, considering the whole "You unzip it, not install it" thing.  If there are, besides the Recent Applications listing that XP makes, and any other shortcuts there might be pointing to it, you've got non-DF-related-problems.
Namely, the fact that other programs are making registry keys under the name of DF.
I've never seen that happen myself, but I've heard it is possible for virii to hide under the good name of other programs..   If installing new drivers doesn't work, try a virus scan.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Easty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 02:04:48 pm »

Do not, under any circumstances, EVER extract to the old folder.
Files change and files conflict, best case scenario the game works 90% the way it should.
When you extract over the old folder, it never works perfectly.  Never.
But anyway, uh, sounds like an OpenGL problem.  Try installing new GPU drivers.
There are no traces of DF in the registry to begin with, considering the whole "You unzip it, not install it" thing.  If there are, besides the Recent Applications listing that XP makes, and any other shortcuts there might be pointing to it, you've got non-DF-related-problems.
Namely, the fact that other programs are making registry keys under the name of DF.
I've never seen that happen myself, but I've heard it is possible for virii to hide under the good name of other programs..   If installing new drivers doesn't work, try a virus scan.

GREAT SUCCESS!
My dwarves are back!
I could kiss you.
But I don't know where you've been.
Thank you :)