Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Engraving bedroom walls  (Read 4078 times)

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
Engraving bedroom walls
« on: August 11, 2008, 10:37:44 am »

When I create a bedroom from a bed, the walls are never included, it seems (those squares stay dark). So does engraving the walls of a bedroom - as opposed to the floors - increase its value at all?

And if so, what about engraving a wall between two bedrooms? Does that increase the quality of both,... or neither?

I haven't seen any obvious impact from engraving the walls of a room - any room - though admittedly I haven't engraved many. So I'm just wondering if the walls are considered part of a room at all. (After all, I have to set a door to 'internal' before it seems to be considered part of the room.)

Bill

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Engraving bedroom walls
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 10:43:14 am »

I think the dark blue squares are counted in its value.  If you make a room near somthing with a cliff there are no dark blue squares over the edge just the light blue ones and then nothing.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 11:43:00 am »

Yeah, the dark blue squares are included. I think engraving a wall between two rooms increases the value of both.

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 12:21:05 pm »

OK, thanks.

Hmm,... so there's no reason for me to keep setting doors to 'internal' in order to get the door included in the room's value? That will save some time!

Bill

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 01:06:01 pm »

The door is included even if not set as internal, I think. But in internal you can expand the room further.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 02:32:05 pm »

Hi!

I regularly engrave all my rooms completely (floor and walls), and their value does change (you can watch it really well if you do it with a large dining/meeting hall, just check its room listing every once in a while while the engravers are at work, and you should see it change).

There was recently a thread about the door issue, and it seems that doors do not belong to the room unless made internal.

Deathworks

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 05:43:49 pm »

Be cautious with engraving regular bedrooms however. A legendary engraver can very quickly turn a common 3x3 bedroom with simple wooden furniture into something no dorf can afford.

Engraving the dining hall and the rooms of nobles is a great idea, its a very easy way to massively increase the value of the room without having to actually build anything.

CrazyEyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 06:11:25 pm »

Of course, the room value only matter when you reach the Economy stage, and even then you can turn off many of the features (like room rent).

I usually leave it off because at this point all the economy seems to do is muck things up.  One minute I have a wildly successful, lavishly furnished fortress, the next minute my broker is reccomending that I mint almost 20,000 of each coin to match accounts - and I don't even *have* gold and silver.  The little copper I did mint just ended up unbalancing things more and causing clutter in people's rooms.
I'm glad all the DF players are not living in one district. It'd be the most dangerous district for the whole world.
Actually, it'd be the most dangerous district in hundreds of thousands of worlds, starting with 'Xah Rabin' The Dimension of Omen. 

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 02:43:33 am »

Hi!

I have to disagree with CrazyEyes' statement.

Even without economy, room value is important.

I usually engrave my main dining room/meeting hall all through and get rewarded with happy thoughts about dining in a legendary dining room. This helps keep dwarves motivated and ecstatic, even if their best friend just got turned into carp chow.

In addition, even without economy, the nobles will demand rooms of a certain quality which is again achieved via room value.

So, engraving does have its place in pre-economy fortresses (besides being just cool with all the history and the self-indulgence of some dwarves).

Deathworks

Boatmurderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 04:33:10 am »

A note on engraving walls between rooms: it only increases the value on the side of the wall that the engraver has engraved, and he will not engrave both sides of a wall. Watch where your engraver goes. Whatever side of the wall he goes to in response to the engrave order is the side that is engraved.

I love Engravings, because they turn a normal 10 square long hallway with a chair at the end into a Royal Throne Room all by themselves.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 06:53:21 am »

I've been hearing only one side of the wall is engraved quite often for a long time now. The thing is, I never witnessed it myself, but I could've been mistaken. It'd be nice to have Toady's answer on this subject, because I'm unsure about it for too long. It becomes frustrating.

Also, I must say if this is true, while logical, it's currently stupid given we can't chose which side of the wall is engraved.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 07:02:50 am »

A simple test would be to do a wall that borders an un enterable room, and see if the value changes.
Magma is overrated.

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 10:01:56 am »

A note on engraving walls between rooms: it only increases the value on the side of the wall that the engraver has engraved, and he will not engrave both sides of a wall. Watch where your engraver goes. Whatever side of the wall he goes to in response to the engrave order is the side that is engraved.

This is incorrect, and hints at a failure in understanding the underlying mechanics of the game.  Tiles do not have 'sides'.  The entire tile is the wall and the entire tile is engraved.

Any tile or building on a tile, such as installed furniture, contributes a portion of its value to all the rooms that occupy that tile.  The value contributed is the total value of the tile and it's building divided by the total number of rooms that occupy that tile.

So, depending on orientation and the disposition of surrounding rooms, an engraved bedroom will typically contribute somewhere between a quarter and a half of its value to any one bedroom.

This I have tested and confirmed.  If you disagree, you are free to outdo me by posting some screenshots, doing some math, and showing your work.

What I'm wondering, though, is if statues prevent the value of the engraved floor tile on which they sit from being added to the room value.  They count as walls for the sake of room-making, so they can prevent the value of engraved wall tiles from being added to the room, depending on placement and room design.
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 12:24:19 pm »

[
What I'm wondering, though, is if statues prevent the value of the engraved floor tile on which they sit from being added to the room value.  They count as walls for the sake of room-making, so they can prevent the value of engraved wall tiles from being added to the room, depending on placement and room design.
  Statues are a problem, esspecaily if you like putting them into niches and they end up blocking three engraved squares.  I would suggest that as long as the room marker blue x is over a tile it counts everything in that tile.

Although even if it doesnt it ought to be engraved for completenesses sake anyways.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 12:24:49 pm »

Tiles do not have 'sides'.  The entire tile is the wall and the entire tile is engraved.

That was the main reason of my doubts. A counter-argument would've been some coding specific to (smoothed) walls so as to make them link with each other properly. A counter-counter-argument was that a contextual code at the moment of drawing the tile would be much simpler.

Yeah, doubts.

Thank you anyway.
Pages: [1] 2