Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My dwarves have a sense of irony...  (Read 2558 times)

Matias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My dwarves have a sense of irony...
« on: August 11, 2008, 06:57:28 am »

After an extensive goblin siege (20 casualties on my side :'(), miasma and stuff all my 6 jail cages were in use and more criminals needed some penal housing. I ordered 10 more metal cages to be made and about a day after that my metalcrafter takes on an aspect of a fey and claims my only forge. Great. After nearly a month of furious work she produces this:

Erläth Eren, "Thinshoved the Band of Liberty", a billon chain.

Those goblins that will come next year and slaughter every one (unless I'm lucky) will probably understand and put that legendary chain into good use when they find it...

-Matias

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My dwarves have a sense of irony...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 07:03:13 am »

Just wall yourself in with a few arrow slits.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 11:13:50 am »

Just close the front door.  The goblins will stand around outside confused until get you whatever you need built.

Goblins can't open doors or pick locks.

Also the chain is great for sprucing up a noble's room.

But I do like the name.

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 11:29:50 am »

I once set up a fort in the middle of a completely flat, frozen tundra with no water whatsover. Do you know what my first immigrant wave was full of? Fishermen, fish cleaners and fish discectors. Oh their suprise when I drafted them...
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 01:45:22 pm »

I actually got THREE milkers in one immigrant wave once. I made them axedwarves, but really...they should have just said they were peasants, for all the good their skill does :P

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 04:09:17 pm »

I actually got THREE milkers in one immigrant wave once. I made them axedwarves, but really...they should have just said they were peasants, for all the good their skill does :P

Hey now. That's 1100 experience points towards an attribute bump. Also, having a civilian skill means no unhappy thought from being booted out of the army. What with having valuable milking skills to fall back on, I guess.

That's why I don't draft peasants. Let 'em add another pick to my exploratory mining team.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 06:09:49 pm »

hey. I didn't know that yet. :)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

CrazyEyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 06:15:01 pm »

Yeah, my peasants get used as either cannon fodder an elite wrestling squad in the case of sieges, or extra haluers, woodcutters and miners.  If they manage to make a name for themselves (i.e. their profession changes) they'll stop being treated as such, but until then... ::)
I'm glad all the DF players are not living in one district. It'd be the most dangerous district for the whole world.
Actually, it'd be the most dangerous district in hundreds of thousands of worlds, starting with 'Xah Rabin' The Dimension of Omen. 

EvilCheerio

• Bay Watcher
  • Whats Candlejack doing h
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 01:22:45 am »

You know, i might have had that problem, but i actually put my peasants on working a few screw pumps i have it place that may come in hand later. So most of my army are actually pump operators. If your wondering why, it's because something said it trains their strength and toughness, so why not. Miners can also get this advantage too though
Delicious wine biscuits
 A real dwarf can survive on meals consisting of Wine, beer, and more wine.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 02:24:06 am »

engraving is good, if you're going for "really" high attributes(otherwise its slower than mining and pumping)

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 03:25:10 pm »

I think the original poster was referring to the irony of having a judicial chain called "the Band of Liberty." ::)
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Khain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 05:48:56 pm »

My dwarves just know how to piss me off... My legendary engraver (my only one so far in my 2 year old fort) went into a strange mood, claiming a craftdwarfs workshop. He began drawing pictures of shells and skeletons so I hurridly begin slaughtering one of each animal in the vicinity. Having done without fufilling his demand for bones I also realize that my stockpile of shells has gone missing so I hurridly force my fisherdwarf to begin fishing in the swamps again, thankfully he caught 3 turtles which were hurridly prepared and eaten. The shells, having been taken to my none too distant stockpile. Then, to my dismay, as my engraver hurries to the stockpile, not 3 seconds from picking up his desired bones (turned out he wanted turtle bones...) and shells, he is overcome by madness and depression =.="
Khain is a dubious worshipper of Stozu Oxtrararstruck Baxstutspen

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 07:48:06 pm »

I use my pesants as masons in my tower which is freaking huge by the way. it took a year to finish teh first floor without pesants

Elvenshae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 10:32:37 pm »

I think the original poster was referring to the irony of having a judicial chain called "the Band of Liberty." ::)

On the other hand, the "Banned of Liberty" ...
Patryn of Elvenshae

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 01:14:54 am »

Once, and only once have I struck the HFS. I left it as is for a while, but I think my dwarves simply gave up.

Outpost manager got a fey mood and made a Artifact granite coffin studded with emeralds and with images of laboring dwarves in silver.

Checking what skill he gained I notice he's become a legendary miner.

I think they've resigned to their fate. It's too close to truth to be coincidence.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.
Pages: [1] 2