Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress MU* Discussion  (Read 45957 times)

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress MU* Discussion
« Reply #135 on: January 09, 2009, 11:53:17 am »

Yeah. I was hosting it on my main computer, which I don't necessarily want to leave on all the time.

I'll get my old broken laptop set up hosting it so we at least have some sort of permanent meeting place.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 09, 2009, 12:03:20 pm »

I don't think it would be too intensive to host, so an old crappy thing would likely work fine.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 09, 2009, 12:45:25 pm »

Well, it's a little crappier than I thought. It refuses to boot up at all now, whereas previously it would boot about one in ten tries. I'll see what happens when I stick the ram I borrowed for another laptop back in, and then I'll tear it apart and see if anything is loose or broken.

For the record, it doesn't even power the screen on. Plugging a different screen in doesn't help. It appears to be a bios issue or something... Hm.

I'll just host on here, I guess. I'm leaving in a few minutes, though, but feel free to come on in and screw around.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2009, 11:19:39 pm »

Sorry about the double post, but this is important.

I moved the server over to my desktop, which should work semi-permanently. The address is 12.183.160.30 and the port is 1050.

I have yet to touch anything, but feel free to come in and say hi and check out the system. Also, tell me if there's unbearable lag.

I'll figure out how to set up some sort of static address at some point. I'll have something interesting to play with soon, I promise.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 10, 2009, 12:38:55 am »

Now now, don't feel too rushed. As far as I can tell, it really is only us now. Also, I thought you had issues with having your desktop on all the time? Unless it's just a cooling thing, in which case you can get rid of some overclocking you must have done.

I think. Never messed with that stuff myself.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2009, 01:17:33 am »

No, it's issues with my laptop on. It crashes if I leave it on for more than 8 hours ever since I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10. I'd install 8.04 again, but it works well enough otherwise and I hope a fix will be released eventually.

Have you tried logging in?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2009, 01:29:56 am »

Is it sort of working? I'm clueless for everything except this site, so I'll help if it's relaively stable.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2009, 03:47:35 am »

What do you mean "working"? I haven't really touched any of the code, if that's what you mean, but it's all functioning well enough.

There's a sort of sample mud there that you can log in and play around with, if you want.
I'll work on learning LPC and figuring out how to work everything and such.

My plans for the immediate future are to write some simple commands for crafting and digging and such. It should be relatively easy to create a few "class" objects that describe a wide variety of potential items. For instance, I could make a sword class, each instance of which would function more or less as a sword, but would have its own quality, description, value, various statistics such as sharpness and durability, and so on and so forth based on the skill and decisions of the smith that made it. For  all I know, this may not be possible, but based on what I've read, instances of an object don't necessarily have to be exact copies of the object, so I should be able to get away with quite a bit.

Also, a grid-based digging system should be possible, where by if you choose to dig north, then west, then south, then east, you'll end up in the room you started in. I'll just assign each room x, y, and z coordinates, and check if the coordinates overlap with an existing room before creating a new one.

There's already a "Quick Creation System" coded into the game, so I should be able to copy most of that code and add some skill checks.

Overall, I'm pretty optimistic about this, but I could use some help.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 10, 2009, 05:35:09 am »

Sorry for not being on. Got two DF things to complete and lots of real-world stuff to work on.

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 10, 2009, 09:11:16 am »

I might be able to help - I'm fairly comfortable with C++, so I'd be happy to give LPC (You're using that, right?) a try. Though keep in mind that it may take me a while to get used to.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #145 on: January 10, 2009, 01:05:12 pm »

So, how does the dwarf fortress aspect work?
Eh?
Eh!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 10, 2009, 01:25:35 pm »

Well, I'm trying to get used to it as well, so that's hardly an issue.
If you want, log in and I'll make you a creator so you can mess around, or just download and set up your own copy so you don't have to use the terrible built-in editor while you're still trying to get used to other things. I'll see about setting up an FTP server once I have a few people helping me.

So, how does the dwarf fortress aspect work?

I intend for the game to function as a multiplayer dwarf mode game. You'll start in a wilderness area with a pick and some supplies and have to carve out a fortress. Each player will play a dwarf, and be able to use a variety of skills. Roleplaying will be enforced in In-Character areas, as I want the game to be about being a part of a community as much as possible.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #147 on: January 10, 2009, 01:51:11 pm »

Well, after looking at it, this seems to be a good system.
When does the dev start?
Eh?
Eh!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 10, 2009, 01:55:38 pm »

As soon as I figure out what the hell I'm doing and/or get someone else who does.

Oh, and sorry about it going down, just now. A breaker popped. It's back up. Damn my desktop's lack of batteries.

Denisius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Erandia Wiki
« Reply #149 on: January 10, 2009, 02:59:16 pm »

This is a great idea, I hope it works out. You might want to take a look at the EmpireMud codebase, it might just be what you are looking for.

By the way, I have a shell lying around that I barely use, I can give you access to host the project on, if you want.
That's what I do. Break their kneecaps, then stab them in the head repeatedly.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14