Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress MU* Discussion  (Read 45938 times)

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress MU* Discussion
« Reply #180 on: February 06, 2009, 12:35:42 am »

Dabbling is fine. I'm just looking for someone who can be on a lot, providing moral support and the like, and possibly help with the coding. I'm willing to make anyone a trial creator at this point, as I could really use some help.

If you log in some time (I should be available all day tomorrow and until about midnight, Pacific time, tonight) I'll get you started and show you around a bit.

Also worth noting: I'm actually more or less happy to teach people with very little experience with coding. It's almost better because then we'll be on the same page. All I request is that if you aren't good at remembering things, please take notes. I hate explaining something to the same person more than twice.

Worth noting, as well: all of the trial creatorships are a very short-term thing, so don't be surprised if you log in one day to find yourself demoted to player. I'm happy to let people play around with the code, but if you're generally inactive, I probably will demote you after a while, as the creator save directory filling up kind of bugs me. If you want to take a look at the code without the risk of your precious creations being spontaneously deleted, check out the demo mud at alcatraz.wolfpaw.net port 8000. I don't think he makes a point of deleting inactive accounts.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 08, 2009, 08:21:50 pm »

All right, I've made quite a bit of progress, though most of it isn't visible at the moment.

The Who output is now a bit... nicer. I might have overdone it, though, so tell me what you think.
I've changed the welcome screen.
I'm now updating the news page on a regular basis as I change things or make progress in my various projects. This is as much for your benefit as for my own, as I need a place to keep notes on what I've changed so if I upgrade to a newer version (which I really should sometime soon to get that damn atmosphere code working...) I'll know what I need to copy over. Note that you'll now need to type "news" to access this, as I've received complaints that having a few screens of text pop up when you first log in is none too pleasant.

Anyway, the main thing I've done is my virtual room code. They can't be accessed from the game world, nor can they be edited with commands, but they're almost in working order. In fact, they work perfectly aside from spewing up error messages every time I update them, but they update fine otherwise. I'll track that down and then see about writing some commands. Then I'll add some skills and whatnot and get mining working. From there, I'll probably figure out the crafting code, and then rip out the leveling system and code something else in its place.

My point is, this all seems promising.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 05:01:38 am by Tahin »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 10, 2009, 01:50:30 pm »

Well this is neat.  I've devved on another MUD before, but I got swamped with real life before I made any meaningful contributions  :-\.  It's been around long enough that the base has been pretty heavily modified and I think it started with a different MUD base system anyway... I'm going to say I'm interested in helping out and I want to get in on this.  I'm Zyll in the MUD, just so you know. 

EDIT: That being said, I have a fair amount of coding experience, but none of it is with C/C++ and the MUD devving experience I have was abstracted out a level, so I wasn't fiddling with the guts of the MUD, just room descriptions and NPC creation mainly.  I'll read up a bit on the LPC wiki link you sent and the mudlib when I get a chance.

EDIT AGAIN: I just read through the wikipedia site and I feel like I know what I'm doing, so that's bound to be a good sign.

AND A THIRD (and fourth and beyond) TIME (I'm bored, so sue me): A killed a rat!  Apparently there's a fake wall in the basement of the school.  Neat.  Also, I decided I should actually read the news you posted on the MUD and saw the stuff about the digging system.  I'm really interested to see how you're doing that.  This just struck me as something that might actually be possible, which is pretty cool.

After looking into LPMUD a bit it turns out the MUD I was devving for (Lost Souls) is originally based on LPMUD. Funny how that works out.  Anyway, they've done a heck of a lot with it, but nothing that lets players mess with the actual rooms (yet anyway, I hear there's something about a player-run area in the works) or craft anything.  I don't see why that wouldn't be possible though, with enough determination on the part of coders.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 03:36:49 pm by Bluerobin427 »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 10, 2009, 08:20:26 pm »

I've got digging more or less figured out, actually. I'm just using a virtual room with the individual room info stored in a daemon.

Crafting's easy, as objects are stored as instances and can store their own values for things separately of everything else. I can just clone a generic sword item and give it the appropriate description and stats based on how well it was crafted and the choices made.

Anyhow, welcome aboard.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 08:23:32 pm by Tahin »

XD!

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling modder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 13, 2009, 08:49:22 pm »

-Snip- Question answered ingame.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 08:53:40 pm by XD! »

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 14, 2009, 02:25:26 pm »

Sorry if anyone has been unable to connect. My power's been off and on lately, and I've given up trying to keep the server up, for now.

There isn't much to see anyway, but sorry, Zyll, if you wanted to work on that code a bit more. If you have any questions feel free to email me at tahin23@gmail.com or send a private message through this forum. I don't know how much longer my connection's going to hold out.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 14, 2009, 05:01:58 pm »

It's back up again, if anyone's interested. Not sure how long that will last.

Each time my router reboots it gives my computer a new internal ip, which means I have to change all my port forwarding stuff. I hate winter.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 14, 2009, 07:20:34 pm »

You might be able to give your computer a static IP address on your router so you don't have to change it each time.  I know that works on my router at my parents' house, but my router in my apartment doesn't save them for some reason, so yours may or may not work.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 20, 2009, 08:37:25 pm »

Yeah. I can't figure that out without everything dying horribly. Damn Linux... Luckily the power has ceased turning on and off, for now.

Now, an update. I've been sick. Very sick. Ill. Lying in bed, virtually unable to move, cursing the gods for my condition.
I'm feeling a bit better now, but I've gotten nothing done in the last 8 days if my "devlog" is to be trusted.

I've noticed some weird bugs cropping up, so I am starting over with a clean slate. Persistent rooms are now working properly again, which is a good thing, and all of my old commands and aesthetic changes are back in place. However, I fear to move any of the save files over from the old copy lest issues start up again, so all character information, even for creators, has been wiped. I still have the backups, so if anyone has a project they were working on that they'd like me to restore, I can easily copy the files over.

This will likely be my last post in this thread, as I intend to move over to the "Other Games" forum. It's safer there.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 21, 2009, 12:18:07 am »

This will likely be my last post in this thread, as I intend to move over to the "Other Games" forum. It's safer there.

When you start the new thread, could you please put a link at the end of this one?
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 21, 2009, 12:56:11 am »

Sure. I'm not going to post the new thread until I have a rough alpha type thing up, which will probably be a few weeks assuming I do get better soon. Damn my weak immune system.

I guess that wasn't my last post in this thread.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 21, 2009, 01:30:54 pm »

Hey Tahin, just wanted to let you know I found this: http://lpmuds.net/forum/index.php?topic=916.0

That should help a bunch with crafting once I figure out all of what's going on there.  If nothing else, it's a really nice example of a pretty much complete system.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 21, 2009, 05:53:57 pm »

I've looked at that briefly. It's interesting, but I think I want to do something a little different.

Also, this seems to be a decent enough place for this thread, for now. Once I'm ready for an alpha/beta test, I'll start a new thread so I can have the actual address in the first post. In fact, maybe I'll just start a new thread, as that's probably really confusing.

EDIT: Well we've got some exciting new developments. The digging system is now "functional." It's very rough, isn't skill-based, is instantaneous, and doesn't even echo to you or the room what you just did, but it works. I'll work on making it take some time, be skill-based, and then get all the descriptions and whatnot figured out. Then on to crafting.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 09:41:53 pm by Tahin »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 28, 2009, 12:42:27 pm »

Wow, a MU* with digging AND dwarves? I'd love to play it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 04, 2009, 10:16:55 am »

Yay, I was hoping the mud would come back up. now for my two cents:

-As I've mentioned before in this mud's development (i think i did, i'm too lazy to check), if you want a REALLY object-based system to program a mud, AND one that can be coded 100% 'real-time', go with a MOO-type MU*, like LambdaMOO. Not only is EVERYTHING object based, every single item, room, and every command right down to stuff like the logging in system and such (ok, some very basic commands are still hardcoded, but really, that doesnt count...), its also all stored in a single 'database' file seperate from the 'server' files, and all those codes are typed and inserted right into the database and able to run instantly without any loading or whatever. I'm not sure if its the same thing with LP muds, but it seems not, as you've mentioned 'stuff.c' files and such. with MOOs, its just one big active file. Sadly, the big disadvantage to using a MOO is that, although its incredibly flexible, there are no publically-available 'starting packages' for RPG games. So everything down to the basic combat system would need to be coded by us. If we could manage that, it would be an awesome and quite flexible thing, but i think all here would prefer to not start something that could be really complicated. But other that that, atleast there are decent enough tutorials and a few extensive 'programmer's manuals' that detail all the commands available and such.

-Whatever MU* server you end up using, i'd like to join in! After reading Tahin's post about him not liking to have too many creators around, and preferring active ones, I think i'd join just as a player, because although i know how to code a bit in a few languages (mostly VisualBasic, PHP, and MySQL), i'm highly unreliable and have a quite random schedule :P
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14