Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress MU* Discussion  (Read 45948 times)

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress MU* Discussion
« Reply #150 on: January 10, 2009, 06:33:59 pm »

Well, this seems to be working well enough at the moment, hosting it on my home computer. I found EmpireMUD on google, but it wouldn't load the website. I think I'll stick with Dead Souls, anyway. It seems to fit well enough. If some huge, glaring issue comes up, I'll see about switching to something else.

Unless of course, you're incredibly skilled at coding inn the EmpireMUD codebase and are interested in helping, then I'd definitely consider switching over.

Also, important:

The MUD can now be accessed at dfmud.no-ip.org port 1050. This should be more or less permanent, as long as nothing goes disastrously wrong.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 11, 2009, 04:22:31 am »

I'm getting pretty good with the QCS and CreWeb, if you happen to need another creator. ed seems to be fairly straightforward, also. There are two commands I'm thinking about trying to code that would be useful, also.

I can already program in one language and am learning a bit of C++ whenever I get back to school.

I'll screw around on my home computer a bit more and come back if I learn anything useful.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 04:43:59 am by Mephisto »

Denisius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Erandia Wiki
« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2009, 05:54:17 am »

I have a copy of EmpireMUD on my computer, and I've uploaded it to my shell in-case you want to check it out.

"Offers a beautiful ASCII world map, along with the ability to craft, forge, mold, plant, harvest, dig, mine items. Along with players creating their very own empire which they build. Or join another players empire. (Just replace Empire with Fortress, and voila :-)"

www.erandia.net/empire.zip
That's what I do. Break their kneecaps, then stab them in the head repeatedly.

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2009, 08:40:12 am »

I was just reading about Dead Souls and found this:
You may be surprised to learn that almost any manipulable object can be wielded as a weapon, or thrown as a missile. You can wield a can of Spam and try to kill an orc with it...and you may even succeed, if you are strong and tough enough.

You have to admit, this mudlib does seem extremely dwarven.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2009, 09:24:45 am »

Not to mention it tracks limbs and their respective damages.

I had grabbed Tahins left foot the other day.

I felt very dwarven when I threw it at a test fighter.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2009, 01:09:48 pm »

Not to mention it tracks limbs and their respective damages.

I had grabbed Tahins left foot the other day.

I felt very dwarven when I threw it at a test fighter.

Another dwarvenly trait: I took off two of a man's limbs that are never in a line with each other in the same hit. It was one of those "holy crap, I'm at home!" moments. Separated the left foot from the leg and the leg from the body.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 11, 2009, 02:45:34 pm »

Yeah, it does that. If you sever a leg, it counts the foot as a separate body part, but tries to keep them together, so they fall off separately. Same with arm/hand.

Anyhow, I'm currently upgrading to the alpha, as it has support for persistent rooms, which means you'll be able to drop a piece of furniture and it will stay there between reboots. I'll edit this once it's back up. Expect it to take a few minutes.

EDIT: All right, it's up. Post here if you can't get in.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 02:50:56 pm by Tahin »

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2009, 07:48:57 pm »

How do you get out of the ocean?
I walked into the water and sunk.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 11, 2009, 09:07:34 pm »

Happened to me too. Upon thinking this over, we should keep the deadliness but post warning signs.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #159 on: January 11, 2009, 09:29:13 pm »

say yeah
say that would be a great idea
say I spent almost all of yesterday playing from TELNET
Eh?
Eh!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 12, 2009, 01:32:37 am »

What's there at the moment isn't something I made or anything. It's just the examples. It's far from perfect, but once I set up the actual game, you'll never see it.

Also, I have per-room persistence figured out. It works exactly as it should, preventing the mud from wiping any objects within the room.

I don't know if there's a way to toggle mud-wide persistence, but it shouldn't be necessary, as it will be trivial to create an in-character room parent with this feature.

I'm close to figuring out how to write "crafting" commands. I don't currently have a runnable command, but I think I'm close.

Once I figure a few things out, setting the game up should be pretty simple. The only hard part I foresee is making sure that the digging and crafting commands can't be exploited to bring my computer to a halt.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 01:39:48 am by Tahin »

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 24, 2009, 06:49:30 pm »

To generate a little new interest (which is the only thing that keeps me working on this at times) and to show that I am still at least thinking about it:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes, it's horribly messy and is probably missing a lot of stuff. Tell me if I forgot anything.

Once I have all that done, it's just a pretty simple overhaul (complete gutting) of the class/leveling system and a long list of purely aesthetic changes.

If I could get a few people with some programming experience to help me out, that would be great. The system I'm working with isn't too terribly complicated, it's just a little messy and poorly-documented, but the community is surprisingly helpful.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 24, 2009, 07:02:13 pm »

So, working on changing the flavor? Did you get the digging skill code done, or is that still yet to be made?

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 24, 2009, 07:34:58 pm »

I haven't really done any actual coding, yet. I'm still trying to figure out it's all going to be structured. Those there are my preliminary plans.

As I said, I could really use some help.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 25, 2009, 03:03:46 pm »

I wish that I was above Dabbling Programmer so that I could help. Is there no one else willing to help Tahin?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14