Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress MU* Discussion  (Read 45953 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress MU* Discussion
« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2009, 10:21:23 pm »

You know, if you guys do try and do this, I know of someone who offers free mu* hosting. I've never spoken to him, but I did (used to) have a paid account with his service, and it was very good. I saw his +finger on Gateway (its a mush which serves to advertise mushes, sortof like a mudconnector, but...for mushes)

This is his finger:

Email: pmesritz@gmail.com
    Games: Staff Roles: Loon@AngrealMOO (1994-1996 - Roleplay); Destruction@BalanceMUSH (1995-1997 - Co-Head Admin); Kiri-Jolith@DragonlanceMUSH (1995-1996, 2004 - Code); Stranger@Shadowrun:Detroit (1997-2000 - Code, Head Coder, Head Wizard); Eclipse@Shadowrun:Seattle (1999-2002 - Head Coder, Head Roleplay); Asmodeus@Treyvan (2000-2002 - Head Admin); Kiri-Jolith@DL:AoM (2004-2007 - Head Admin); Xandar@DL:What If? (Alpha - 2008-Present - Lead Project); Xandar@many places (Game Consultant; Coder; Roleplay). Player Roles: Don't make me do this!
      WWW: http://www.isunlimited.net/ 
     Info: Looking for FREE hosting? Check out http://www.isunlimited.net/index.php/hosting/shared -- We have been up and running since January, 2006 and have a significant number of clients! Please feel free to @mail or page me with questions or follow the instructions on the website if you're interested in either the free or paying accounts. You can also log onto our information MU at isunlimited.net 2500. YES, the free accounts /really/ are free within the specs!
           We now offer colocated and dedicated hosting packages as well!
           http://clients.isunlimited.net/store allows you to sign up and request an account.
           @tel to our offices (#1154) and join our channel (addcom isu=ISUnlimited)   
    Quote: Involved in a call center? Take a look at my blog @ http://blog.mesritz.us/

As he notes, the site is http://www.isunlimited.net/index.php/hosting/shared

I don't really know why he'd offer free mu* hosting though, and I think someone else earlier said they had hosting. I'm just in favor of Dwarf Fortress, so I thought I'd point (the above) out, since I happened to  notice his advert while looking about for a mu* to play on.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 10:23:17 pm by lastofthelight »

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 09, 2009, 12:43:33 am »

I think I could host easily enough, and I'd rather maintain control if at all possible. I have nothing against having someone else host, but it would be good if they were also the admin. Anyway, there are enough free mud hosts out there that that shouldn't be an issue.

I managed to compile and run Dead Souls, but my copy seems to be missing a few important commands and helpfiles. It all works fine on the demo mud, so I'm going to try an older version...

Okay, I got it compiled and it's running. It all seems to be working... Awesome.
If anyone's interested in learning LPC and helping me with this, I think this would be the way to go.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 09, 2009, 12:46:04 am »

I'll take a stab at it, but expect me to generally just dick around in the MUD with pre-built commands.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 09, 2009, 12:53:03 am »

Well there are some prebuilt building commands. I'll end up adding some skill-based building, crafting, digging, and whatnot, commands, at some point, if I actually get around to this. I'll have to balance this and my zombie action-roguelike, now... Oh well.

If anyone's interested, I guess you can telnet to 192.168.1.4 port 1050. I'll be up for another two hours. I'm interested in hearing if anyone can connect, actually.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 09, 2009, 01:03:19 am »

Got a connection timed out message. Code 10060.

Does it have a name?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 01:05:13 am by Duke 2.0 »
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 09, 2009, 01:10:05 am »

Hm. I'm not terribly surprised...

Give me a half hour. I'll figure this out.

EDIT: Huh. They suddenly updated the download page to show that the one I was using previously was completely unsupported, and the one I'm using now is a bit behind, so I'll try compiling the latest stable release.

EDIT2: I stand corrected. The one I was just using was an unsupported alpha... Huh.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 01:15:55 am by Tahin »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 09, 2009, 01:13:40 am »

192.168.*.* is a private address. It's also what many home routers use as the default range. Check out WhatsMyIP to find your external address.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 09, 2009, 01:42:42 am »

Thanks for the tip, Mephisto. All right, try 12.183.160.30 port 1050...

It's giving me a connection refused error when I try it... Something's wrong here...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 09, 2009, 01:44:31 am »

Yup, same error from me.

Although I have to go to bed soonish. If you can get it working within the hour, I'll be on.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 09, 2009, 01:46:01 am »

It would be nice to figure this out. I've never had any luck with networking, so that's probably the biggest hurdle, right now...

According to all my googling, this should just be working. Help?

Edit: All right, I just realized that my router is probably the issue. Now I need to dig up the tiny piece of paper I have its info written on...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 01:50:08 am by Tahin »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 09, 2009, 01:50:02 am »

You checked the Dead Souls FAQ?

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 09, 2009, 01:59:05 am »

Try it now.

Mwa hahahahaha!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 09, 2009, 02:02:33 am »

Works. Currently in default start place.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 09, 2009, 02:34:14 am »

Awesome. I'll get started learning this stuff so I can actually create something decent.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 09, 2009, 08:40:22 am »

Hmm, seems to be down again.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14