Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress MU* Discussion  (Read 45955 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress MU* Discussion
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2009, 09:37:31 pm »

Ah, memories. I really wanted to connect that grotto to everybody else's rooms. Even a few days ago I thought of a fishing game that would be nifty.

We must find Dullard and make him get it back up!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2009, 09:40:00 pm »

Ah, memories. I really wanted to connect that grotto to everybody else's rooms. Even a few days ago I thought of a fishing game that would be nifty.

We must find Dullard and make him get it back up!

I agree.
I miss the MU*.
Dullard just vanished, with no warning or anything, I wonder what happened to him.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2009, 06:00:31 am »

CURSES! And I just found out about this now.   I bet them damn elves are behind it.  *Glares at their forests*  Anyone wanna throw a bonfire?

Anyways, sucks... wonder if anyone else will try and make their own version of it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2009, 11:17:50 am »

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but it just ocured to me might be cool to make a MU* modeling a very disfunctional fortress instead of one where people co-operate.  Dwarven interactions are, to put not too fine a point on it, insane and it might be cool to go that route.  Everyone would be clawing at each other to try to ascend to the top of the pack and become mayor/treasurer/dungeon master (DM might not be an immigrant position in the MU*) etc. where upon they would mercilessly exploit their position to force others to do their ends (insane mandates much?) while at the same time trying to keep down the proletariot revolt.  Those who are successful enough at staying at the top can be considered to have "won" the rat race and would be given noble rank from which they can look down upon the peasant rabble and can now happily feud and backstab with other nobles, giving fresh blood a shot at competing for the lower rank.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2009, 11:43:04 am »

Wow. I had nearly forgotten about this...

I wonder what happened to LD. If anyone out there with a decent connection and a spare computer is willing to host something, I'm more than happy to work as a builder or moderator or whatever. I'd love to see something like this.

I'd set something up myself, but my connection is terrible and goes down all the time. I do have a few spare computers, and it might be fast enough to handle a small number of connections with minimal lag... Hm.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2009, 04:12:44 pm »

He is still around(last post late december, last active yesterday)
Eh?
Eh!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2009, 04:30:40 pm »

Yeah, I'm for bringing this back, perhaps with some of Tahin's techno-magic engine. Or any kind of visualization, frankly.

Come to think of it, I belive we had an idea for giving each room a text description and a DF-style map. That would solve the argument over how long it should take to carve a room, too, as it would be simple enough to say it takes x minutes per square in the map.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2009, 04:35:21 pm »

No need to worry about traffic and lag. The most we ever had at once was six people online at the same time.

I dunno, custom descriptions had their charm. Not to mention it was annoying as hell to type the quality modifiers every time you types an item. It would be best if it was formatted so you don't need to add the - on each side of the tiem name.

Also, LD was working on a custom system for most DF things like combat and crafting.

I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2009, 06:36:10 pm »

I managed to write actual network code(!)  that would draw a 25x80 grid of #s to telnet.
Eh?
Eh!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2009, 06:45:08 pm »

Let's do this!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 08, 2009, 12:03:23 am »

I really don't think a MUD/Roguelike would work terribly well.

What if we tried a different system? Dead Souls mudlib (http://dead-souls.sourceforge.net/) is pretty good, uses a C-like scripting language, and has a prebuilt combat system that's rather nice and detailed.

Oh, and it has some crazy detail. There's even scripts for diseases. Giving myself a cold when I was playing around with it was just eerie.

Also worth noting is that pretty much everything is softcoded, so there's none of the awkward commands like "+look" to get around the hardcoded commands of the same name. If you want the look command to do something else, you simply open up the appropriate file and change it.

EDIT:
Come to think of it, I belive we had an idea for giving each room a text description and a DF-style map. That would solve the argument over how long it should take to carve a room, too, as it would be simple enough to say it takes x minutes per square in the map.

Wait, what? How does that simplify it at all? How long should it take per tile, then?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 12:32:25 am by Tahin »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 08, 2009, 12:36:19 am »

Of course, what system we use depends on how easily we can make custom commands. Digging our own rooms, crafting, etc.

Although on looking at it, it does seem useful. Lets see.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 08, 2009, 01:02:58 am »

Well, the only issue with LP-muds (That system I posted above falls under this category) is that items are handled in an object/instance fashion. You create a new file for each unique object you want, and simply spawn a copy of them. If we wanted truly customizable craftable objects, I'd have to find a way around this. It's possible that I could find a way to have object "classes" which the instances of could then store their individual quality and description, but I'm not sure if that's possible.

But I do really love that system. I think my favorite thing I ran into while playing around with it was when I "killed" an NPC with a wizard command, and his weapons and armor fell to the floor, rather than just disappearing along with his body.

Edit: All right, I take back everything I've said, except that this mudlib is fucking amazing.
It appears to store a "template" of the object as a file, but each individual instance of an object is stored separately as its own object. I may be way off with this, though, as I haven't really spent that much time digging around.

So, is anyone with extensive experience with LP-muds going to step forward?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 01:37:07 am by Tahin »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 08, 2009, 08:56:37 pm »

If you guys are still looking for a system, how about taking a look at CoffeeMud? Setting up a server is super easy. From what I recall (which is from at least three years ago; lots of updates have happened since then), players could create rooms and all that good stuff. I believe there may have been a crafting system, too.

Admin-types can login through a web browser and modify all aspects of the game, including creating new rooms and setting up a map.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 08, 2009, 09:22:01 pm »

Hm. That looks interesting, but it might be a bit complicated for what I'd like to do.

Does anyone here actually have some decent experience with a codebase?

I wish LD was still interested... Heh.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14