Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Leather Bracelet  (Read 4452 times)

ArdentPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Leather Bracelet
« on: August 10, 2008, 08:25:37 pm »

So hidden in the human caravan's crafts that I always skip over, I found a Dwarf Leather Bracelet!

Those jerks!

This must be how the elves feel when someone tries to sell them skull totems or whatever.

pavlov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Leather Bracelet
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 09:19:24 pm »

Sounds like you've got yourself an excuse to start a war. "RITH, OPEN THE MERCHANT-DROWNING FLOODGATE!"
This animal is waiting for conflict.
Ready for slaughter? (Y)

CrazyEyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 09:44:39 pm »

Elves always annoyed me before I learned that it's far simpler to just sieze their goods then murder them.

It'd be like

"Ah, welcome to our humble fortress!  I see you have brought your *ahem* usual inventory."
"Yes, we carry only the finest in Elven -(rope reed cloth)-, and these five Wild Strawberries.  May we interest you in any of our goods?"
"Ah, well, we are running a bit short on cloth.  Perhaps we could barter over, say, that bin there... and that one... and the one there."
"Wonderful!  And what are you prepared to offer in return?  Our druids were delighted by the unique and complex stone crafts you offered us last year.  Perhaps we can expect more of the same?"
"Of course, of course!  Urist, bring the stone crafts here, that's a good lad.  Now I'm sure you'll take note that our craftsdwarves have only become more skilled since last- what?  What's wrong?"
"THOSE GOODS ARE BEING CARRIED IN A WOODEN BIN!"
"Ah... ah, well, if it's the bin that bothers you we can just as easily-"
"NO! ABOMINATION!  BUTCHER OF NATURE!  THE MOST VILE OF CURSES ON YOU, YOUR FORTRESS AND YOUR KIN!
"Now, there's no call for such-"
"ENOUGH OF YOUR FOUL WORDS!  WE'LL NOT STAY A MOMENT LONGER IN THIS FETID TOMB!  LEAVE US NOW THAT WE MAY COLLECT OUR GOODS IN PEACE!"
"If... if that's what you wish, so be it." *leaving the room* "Urist?"
"Yes, sir?"
"Pull the lever."
I'm glad all the DF players are not living in one district. It'd be the most dangerous district for the whole world.
Actually, it'd be the most dangerous district in hundreds of thousands of worlds, starting with 'Xah Rabin' The Dimension of Omen. 

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 11:08:02 pm »

Elves definitely need to learn how to respect the current state between dwarves and elves and NOT get all hoity-toity when you happen to use a wooden container. Sure, they're haughty, but even they can learn that differences in opinions don't mean you have to act like _that_.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 12:53:17 am »

Elves definitely need to learn how to respect the current state between dwarves and elves and NOT get all hoity-toity when you happen to use a wooden container. Sure, they're haughty, but even they can learn that differences in opinions don't mean you have to act like _that_.

...These are the creatures that will eat you should you go against their beliefs. So, yes, yes they will act like that.
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 01:18:58 am »

No, they'll eat you if they KILL you. They'll try to kill you, of course, but my point is they shouldn't jump to killing you so quiickly. :P
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 05:04:21 am »

The Elves are the Ecological, Green, Extremists!
They are terrorist!!!
So it is OK if they offended so much, because the fill that role!

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 05:48:07 am »

Well they don't mind if you bring the crafts to the Depot in a wooden bin, so long as you don't sell them the bin itself.

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 10:45:54 am »

In trading with our last elf caravan, they apparently didn't like my dwarf's offer, so they wanted us to sweeten the deal with... a leather item. What's the deal with that? Were they trying to trick us into offering something made from an animal?

We offered them other stuff, instead, and they took that (though they never bring anything I really want, so I don't know why I bother).

Bill

teta

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN] [SPHERE:WATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 11:21:03 am »

I always wondered, aren't those wooden rope reed cloth bins the elves bring with them also made out of trees?
Some mega eye-candy projects:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6018 Human city
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6201 Little Star Wars Space Ship

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 11:38:18 am »

I always thought that the elves just collect dead wood from the ground. They're immortal, they've probably been building a log stockpile for several centuries.

Or maybe the elves feel about wood the same way dwarves feel about kittens. They must be killed before they adopt someone.

And while elves like their Soylent Green, everyone else in the world processes their victims into bracelets and earrings and wears all of them at once. Creepy bone collectors. I'll rather trade with someone who doesn't have an actual throne made of skulls.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 12:05:24 pm »

I always thought that the elves just collect dead wood from the ground. They're immortal, they've probably been building a log stockpile for several centuries.

I like to imagine that they are able to commune with the trees in some mystical way, and that the trees willingly give up some of their branches when they are needed.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 01:27:55 pm »

I like to imagine that they are able to commune with the trees in some mystical way, and that the trees willingly give up some of their branches when they are needed.

I wonder what the traders would be like to them if trees were a playable race...
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Zwergner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 01:30:41 pm »

"Ah, welcome to our humble fortress!  I see you have brought your *ahem* usual inventory."
"Yes, we carry only the finest in Elven -(rope reed cloth)-, and these five Wild Strawberries.  May we interest you in any of our goods?"

I lawl'd.  They never have anything useful.
Dwarf Transplant updating utility

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 03:11:27 pm »

I lawl'd.  They never have anything useful.

Say that to my barrels of home brewed sunshine. And sunberries are so cheap!
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.
Pages: [1] 2