Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unit ends up with 99 speed  (Read 1031 times)

Darkwind

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Unit ends up with 99 speed
« on: August 10, 2008, 05:07:05 pm »

While using the Legendary lands mod (which I don't think is the reason of the bug), I was playing as an Avatar (which starts with 1500-1600 speed, if I recall). I had trained him in Ambushing, just in case something actually had the power to kill me. I was flushing out a vampire-filled cave when it hit. My unit went from over 1900 speed to 99 while killing the vampires (who are absurdly weak against Avatars even when said Avatars are crippled). It wasn't just a display bug, because many vampires died to counterstrikes before I could even react. I'm guessing that something happens when a unit goes above, or reaches, 2000 speed that the game can't handle, so it reverts to the lowest speed possible. This is just an uninformed guess, of course. In the meantime, the Avatar is resting in Yorrevered, one of the numerous capitals.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Unit ends up with 99 speed
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 06:29:20 pm »

While using the Legendary lands mod (which I don't think is the reason of the bug), I was playing as an Avatar (which starts with 1500-1600 speed, if I recall). I had trained him in Ambushing, just in case something actually had the power to kill me. I was flushing out a vampire-filled cave when it hit. My unit went from over 1900 speed to 99 while killing the vampires (who are absurdly weak against Avatars even when said Avatars are crippled). It wasn't just a display bug, because many vampires died to counterstrikes before I could even react. I'm guessing that something happens when a unit goes above, or reaches, 2000 speed that the game can't handle, so it reverts to the lowest speed possible. This is just an uninformed guess, of course. In the meantime, the Avatar is resting in Yorrevered, one of the numerous capitals.

If you are nocked over then your speed will go to the normal on ground speed. It is not the reset thing that you though as I have created creatures with one or two for their speed and I managed to get some humongous speeds. (>3000)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 07:23:49 pm »

I've hit 10,000 speed before.  At that speed, you move faster then TIME.
You have to lie down to get anybody else to do anything.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 07:36:17 pm »

I've hit 10,000 speed before.  At that speed, you move faster then TIME.
You have to lie down to get anybody else to do anything.

Dr. Kogan Brown: Oh, my God, they found me, I don't know how, but they found me. Run for it Urist.
Urist McFly: Who? Who?
Dr. Kogan Brown: Who do you think? The Elves.
Urist McFly: Holy shit!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 08:55:34 pm »

I wish I knew the reference...

Calessa Lynn Orphiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 09:13:26 pm »

I wish I knew the reference...

Back to the Future

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 09:39:18 pm »

Ok, got it.  That's Dr. Brown all right.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 07:48:19 pm »

If you've got a save with your healthy and happy standing adventurer moving at a low speed, I can take a look at it.  I'll need the region folder in some kind of zip/rar/7z, and any new objects that were added to the raw folder.  If it's less than 20 megs, you can send it to toadyone@bay12games.com.  You can also try The Dwarf Fortress File Depot which has a special section for bugged saves.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!