Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [39f] Negotiations advance while paused  (Read 1312 times)

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[39f] Negotiations advance while paused
« on: August 10, 2008, 09:31:27 am »

I had noticed this in 39e also but just verified it.

If you have a liason of some sort talking with your mayor or broker and they're working out the details of a trade agreement, you can pause the game and wait for a while, and it will move on to the next phase of the negotiation, without it being necessary to unpause.

Probably related: I have noticed animals giving birth while paused also.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [39f] Negotiations advance while paused
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 10:18:43 am »

I'm 90% sure I've seen skill or stat increase announcements as well.
Suspect this has been reported before, btw.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

SocietalEclipse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 11:08:37 am »

Yes stat increases happen as well.  And kitten adoptions of dwarves.

suresir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 11:13:48 am »

In my experience it happens not just when the game is paused, but when you use the mouse to designate tiles. The game somehow runs then, since my fps drops from the max of 100 to like 30. During a meeting you can get all the steps in a less then a minute if you use the mouse to designate tiles while the meeting is going on.

avari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 11:33:44 am »

I remember these three being reported a while ago. The stat/skill increases were thought to apply specifically to conversation skills. Using mouse designation was indeed supposedly the trigger. Also, I think the conversation skill gain bug was supposed to be fixed (and actually it is marked as 'fixed' in the known bugs list). Maybe it has resurfaced?

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 11:49:13 am »

I have mouse turned off completely in the init so it's not that.  I was designating stuff to mine though, so maybe it's designation in general.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 04:46:08 pm »

In my experience it happens not just when the game is paused, but when you use the mouse to designate tiles. The game somehow runs then, since my fps drops from the max of 100 to like 30. During a meeting you can get all the steps in a less then a minute if you use the mouse to designate tiles while the meeting is going on.

Do you know if you have do be clicking stuff for it to advance, or is it enough to have the mouse enabled and idling in the designation mode?
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 04:48:10 pm »

is it enough to have the mouse enabled and idling in the designation mode?

No, you have to actively be designating (mouse or keyboard).

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 06:30:49 pm »

is it enough to have the mouse enabled and idling in the designation mode?

No, you have to actively be designating (mouse or keyboard).

In that case, I suppose the next logical question is: does designating stuff actually advance time in general, one or a few frames per tile, or does it only affect some specific things?

I would be surprised it the overall time moved at all - I probably wouldn't have noticed if the effect was small enough, but I would have expected someone to notice - but it'd be easy enough to check, I guess. Just note the position of a rapidly-moving dwarf, pause and designate and un-designate a bunch of stuff for a bit, then check and see if the dwarf moved at all. :)

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 02:11:12 pm »

Ok, I can say for sure that designation does advance time.  I started a new fort with a bunch of dwarves with hunting skill but higher other skills.  They all start off idle.  I start designating stuff to mine, check the unit list: they've all switched to "hunt".  After dealing with that I watch my miner finish off digging the very last square of what I had designated and I pause the game just as the square disappears.  Miner is not "?" yet.  I designate another segment to mine.  Miner starts blinking blue "?".

This really shouldn't be happening, pause is pause ...

Wirrit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 01:24:49 am »

Just thought I'd throw another hat into the ring -- I've also run into the Negociating-While-Paused / Negociating-While-Designating problem before, and find it quite irking.  I often hit a key to try and complete some other operation in the game while paused (especially designations)...and then end up accidentally canceling the negociation that popped up when my finger was already halfway to the key.

It's not crippling in most cases, but it'd sure be nice if it didn't happen.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 01:34:42 am »

And here I thought I was going crazy and they were teleporting or something. :3
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 02:40:54 am »

I often hit a key to try and complete some other operation in the game while paused (especially designations)...and then end up accidentally canceling the negociation that popped up when my finger was already halfway to the key.

I've done this too.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 01:32:34 pm »

This is not actually related to designating, that is just the most commonly sighted point.  I observed the same thing happen while adjusting workshop orders and profiles.  It seems to be that any keypress that does something causes one of the counters to advance.  The particular counter appears to be the one that controls job scheduling, and likely completetion.

A good test for this would be to observe a dwarf begin a job in a workshop.  Pause the game, then repeat pressing k and <space>.  It would be easier to notice if the dwarf is legendary at whatever job he is doing, and the workshop is empty.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Redd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 08:06:25 pm »

Fed up with ninja kittens too.  The pause needs declawing.
Pages: [1] 2