Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobold defeats Bronze Colossus in world gen  (Read 1412 times)

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
Kobold defeats Bronze Colossus in world gen
« on: August 10, 2008, 02:27:51 am »

So yes, here's another example of how broken mega-beasts are in world gen.  In the year 4, a kobold struck down a bronze colossus.  This was the kobold's only notable kill, and, in fact, the kobold was killed the next year by a hydra.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold defeats Bronze Colossus in world gen
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 06:14:16 am »

Just wondering -- was the kobold a markskobold? I seem to notice the trend that my megabeasts are killed by ranged attackers.

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 06:27:49 am »

So yes, here's another example of how broken mega-beasts are in world gen.  In the year 4, a kobold struck down a bronze colossus.  This was the kobold's only notable kill, and, in fact, the kobold was killed the next year by a hydra.

This seems to happen a lot. In fact, Bronze Colossi, which I thought were the most powerful megabeast, seem to be the whipping boys in worldgen, some of them dying without even earning a last name, and very few earning titles. For some reason, Titans and Dragons seem to be the most skilled at surviving. I suppose hydras have too many heads, so maybe they bleed to death easily? But I have no idea what's causing the Colossi to get reamed.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 01:09:56 pm »

It's propably because an yellow wound is sufficient to destroy a body part.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 04:36:38 pm »

Most of my dragons are slain by Elves and Kobolds with no previous kills who've only been adventuring for a few days.   

I mean ... it's obviously a work in progress.  I'm sure Toady is working on making it more realistic, but, for now, let's try and make the best of it.

You can always edit the raws to make megabeasts larger (size 50 or so) and they will be far more likely to survive.  However, they also make them almost impossible for even the most legendary adventurer to kill, and probably a great deal more damaging in fort mode.

The best way to deal with the current situation is to play your game somewhere between year 5 and year 25.  Sure, you don't get any nice roads or advanced civs, but, at least there are some megabeasts to look forward to.

Anyway I believe this is a known problem that is being worked on. 
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 04:52:28 pm »

However, they also make them almost impossible for even the most legendary adventurer to kill, and probably a great deal more damaging in fort mode.

You mod them back before actually playing.

Alternatively: large high-savage areas and lots of caves will also increase megabeast longevity.  My savagery is turned up only 1:1:1:1:2 with 100 non mountain and 200 mountain caves and can get worlds up to year 600 (though bronze colossi still die before year 10).  My last world I genned ended in the 580s when a hydra was struck down, leaving me with 2 dragons and a titan.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 04:58:35 pm »

However, they also make them almost impossible for even the most legendary adventurer to kill, and probably a great deal more damaging in fort mode.

Yeah, put all of your megabeasts into a single .txt file and copy it. Then go into the file for worldgen and give all your megabeasts SIZE:10000 and DAMBLOCK:999999, they tend to survive fairly well. Then, after world gen go and switch the two files (make sure that they are named the same thing and you delete the object files in the data folder) and make them go back to normal strength.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 05:22:19 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 09:42:13 am »

Yep this method works just quite good, thats what Im doing also.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 01:22:58 pm »

You know I tried modding them back before playing but it didn't seem to work, they were still just as brutal as before I changed it.  Maybe I got unlucky but that seems to have not worked out for me ... err, changing them back, that is.
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 09:04:16 am »

Yeah, put all of your megabeasts into a single .txt file and copy it. Then go into the file for worldgen and give all your megabeasts SIZE:10000 and DAMBLOCK:999999, they tend to survive fairly well. Then, after world gen go and switch the two files (make sure that they are named the same thing and you delete the object files in the data folder) and make them go back to normal strength.
Fairly well?
How on earth do you damage them with that stat?

The Dragon twitched.
Urist McAdventurer was truck down.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 09:22:36 am »

Perhaps this was a time-traveling steam-inventing royal lineage kobold.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 02:26:55 pm »

Fairly well?
How on earth do you damage them with that stat?

It's the only way they survive longer than 100 years on average.  Peasants can't touch them (do remember that 999999 damblock that they can still get injured.  It if doesn't move and you hit it with a plastic spork it will get a wound eventually).