Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Is combat reports working for 39f yet?  (Read 2971 times)

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
Re: Is combat reports working for 39f yet?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 12:38:26 pm »

I've gotten along just fine without Dwarf Foreman. Maybe it's just me never having had access to such utilities, but I don't mind designating labors and tasks manually.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 12:51:04 pm »

In regards to Torak, I'm not sure why using such a useful 3rd party program makes me a tool. As far as I can tell, it certainly isn't cheating to use Foreman, since all it does is help manage tasks. And like I said, I've upgraded to the latest version, it would just be nice if I didn't lose Foreman's capabilities when doing so. I mean, heck, the screen change alone made it well worth the download.

You act like I was talking to you when I said it.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 01:08:47 pm »

Fort mode is perfectly fine without mods and utilities, I have no idea why you are all so dependent upon them ...
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

danielout

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 02:03:55 pm »

Fort mode is perfectly fine without mods and utilities, I have no idea why you are all so dependent upon them...

I think the people in the thread have just been looking for something to make some tasks easier; Fort mode gameplay is, in my opinion, fine. However, the interface could use some help to streamline things.

XmasApe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2008, 02:09:07 pm »

In regards to Torak, I'm not sure why using such a useful 3rd party program makes me a tool. As far as I can tell, it certainly isn't cheating to use Foreman, since all it does is help manage tasks. And like I said, I've upgraded to the latest version, it would just be nice if I didn't lose Foreman's capabilities when doing so. I mean, heck, the screen change alone made it well worth the download.

Perhaps not pulling this blatantly disingenuous bullshit would make you more tolerable.
Quote from: Torak
You're (person who is reading this) a tool if you don't play a new version because some little program hasn't had a few lines of code changed.
Quote from: Torak
Quote from: danielout
In regards to Torak, I'm not sure why using such a useful 3rd party program makes me a tool.
Well, he was reading it, which is who you addressed it to, so yes, he was.
Kindly GTFO, nobody is particularly interested in your MORE HARDCORE THAN YOU!!!! bullshit until you starve to death because you won't leave your fortress alone.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 02:19:53 pm »

Foreman allows job management based on profession name. Thus, once I get new migrants, I can customize their profession names in DF, then in Foreman I can mass-assign tasks. Also, this lets me accomplish large-scale tasks quickly. Say I want to smooth a ton of stone, and can handle pausing my production lines to do it. I just open up Foreman, and give all my crafting professions that job and remove their others. Thus, being able to mass-apply jobs to groups is quite handy, and allows me to finish large-scale tasks rather rapid, with little time spent micro-managing jobs.
Also, it is a really good visualize to see how I've got my classes broken down, and to see if I'm missing any jobs. ie: Why aren't my iron floodgates being made? *glance to Foreman* Oh, my smiths were assigned to haul stone for a while, and I forgot to turn their smithing back on. *fix*
Quoted for truth.  That's exactly how Dwarf Foreman helps me.

When working on Mountain-Banners, this program allowed me to "surge" a massive group of haulers from task to task as desired.  Want another 30 warm bodies to help place stone, furnish rooms, place tapestries, haul rock, clear scaffolding?  One click and done!

When managing any fortress, I want to see no idlers.  Everyone contributes all the time,to my latest mad-cap plan.  If a craftsdwarf has run out of materials, I want to see him helping with haulage, placing stone, practicing his wrestling moves, boosting production of the missing inputs, or whatever.

Fort mode is perfectly fine without mods and utilities, I have no idea why you are all so dependent upon them ...
Dwarf Foreman is an important reason I continue to enjoy this game so much.  I just don't have enough patience to get more than about 30 dwarves to do what I want them to in the native interface.

In the native interface, every new dwarf is an additional management burden.  With Dwarf Foreman, you assign the dwarf to a labour category and manage him along with everyone else in that category.  Instead of navigating around in menu-after-menu, you see everything laid out before you, on a grand canvas on which you manage the fortress labour as a whole.

=============

If Dwarf Fortress made it possible to assign a dwarf (or group of dwarves) a priority-ordered list of tasks, then fortress management would become a lot easier. 

Ideally, I want my haulers to ensure that nothing creates miasma, then that food is put where it belongs, and only then work on other haulage stuff.  At present, whenever I task them to rock-dumping, vermin rot unattended and food haulage can easily jam up.

I have a colored clothes-making production line at pretty much every fort I make.  Managing such a lengthy chain of inputs requires a great deal of micromanagement, as dwarves currently don't know that what you *really* want is for the weaver and dyer to, respectively, primarily weave cloth and dye it, and in their spare time help with milling or threshing.  Same story for glassware, ironmongery, and leather goods.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2008, 02:28:02 pm »

XmasApe, let's keep it civil please. 

I agree that both of Torak's posts could have been better worded, but we are all constantly making the same mistake:  forgetting that gestures indicating who you're talking to or about, humour, or self-deprecation don't show up in the text.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2008, 02:34:38 pm »

Hi!

I hope people can take a little step backward, inhale deeply, and calm down a little bit. There is really no need to use foul language or insult each other.

People are vastly different here, and DF is so complex that it actually encourages that diversity. Whether you prefer adventure mode or fortress mode, ruthless murder & exploitation or creation of a utopian heaven, there are simply so many ways to play the game and enjoy it, even though it is an alpha. (Personally, I see it as somewhat where Maxis' original inventions were heading)

And as playstyles vary, so do the tools and what not vary. Personally, I prefer fortress mode and concentrate on slow-growing fortresses (it is no problem for my fortresses to go years without an anvil as it is not needed yet for such a period of time). And consequently, I don't see any advantage of such tools for my type of gameplay, so I play vanilla (and I don't change the screen size or tileset either, since I feel comfortable with the default settings). However, that is my approach to the game, and there is no reason to impose it on anyone else.

So, I think it would be better if people would simply accept these differences and not call each other names because of differing styles and preferences.

Deathworks

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2008, 03:13:50 pm »

I won't even bother.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 03:47:25 pm by Torak »
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Bluefire

• Bay Watcher
  • Slaves to Khorne
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2008, 03:14:52 pm »

I would like to say I have only used a 3rd person program once in my DF lifetime.

And it wasn't even an in-fortress app, just prospector.

No need to confess, even the most hardcore 3d party users aren't going to hell, at least not becasue of that.

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2008, 03:19:12 pm »

Why are people whining about how other people choose to play the game? Why even have an opinion on other people's use of 3rd party programs?

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2008, 04:00:14 pm »

I won't even bother.

You won't even bother to what? Take a step back as Deathworks suggested?

I wouldn't either, since the last time I listened to someone over the Internet telling me to take a step back, I fell over my chair. In retrospect, I should have seen such a problem occurring, since the chair was exactly where I left it...

Maybe you wouldn't bother accepting differences. Plenty of people like that in the world.

Or perhaps you wouldn't bother playing a new version if a particular third party program doesn't work with the new version.

Wow, that's a complete reversal Torak! I'm glad to see you have such an open mind that you are willing to allow it to be changed to such a degree.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2008, 04:31:00 pm »

Dwarf Foreman is an important reason I continue to enjoy this game so much.  I just don't have enough patience to get more than about 30 dwarves to do what I want them to in the native interface.

In the native interface, every new dwarf is an additional management burden.  With Dwarf Foreman, you assign the dwarf to a labour category and manage him along with everyone else in that category.  Instead of navigating around in menu-after-menu, you see everything laid out before you, on a grand canvas on which you manage the fortress labour as a whole.

You do know that the vanilla game lets you assign jobs with your Fort Manager right?

Hit 'u', then hit 'm' for manager, then hit 'q' to add new tasks and orders, complex construction queues, work orders, priority management etc.  I guess I just never had a problem, even with a 15+ year old for with 150+ dwarves.  Managers are incredibly useful!

I don't mean to negate the usefulness of Dwarf Foreman or the reasons why you don't use it or anything at all, I'm just throwing in my two copper. 
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

danielout

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2008, 04:37:05 pm »

You do know that the vanilla game lets you assign jobs with your Fort Manager right?

Hit 'u', then hit 'm' for manager, then hit 'q' to add new tasks and orders, complex construction queues, work orders, priority management etc.  I guess I just never had a problem, even with a 15+ year old for with 150+ dwarves.  Managers are incredibly useful!

I don't mean to negate the usefulness of Dwarf Foreman or the reasons why you don't use it or anything at all, I'm just throwing in my two copper. 

Yes, but it doesn't let you change which jobs you have assigned to each dwarf.... More so in large groups. Different functionality. :)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2008, 04:49:51 pm »

Wow, that's a complete reversal Torak! I'm glad to see you have such an open mind that you are willing to allow it to be changed to such a degree.

I responded to a flame with another flame, and I edited it out because I don't care enough.

Pages: 1 [2] 3