Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [39F] Offloading Units glacially slow  (Read 2807 times)

Keishin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[39F] Offloading Units glacially slow
« on: August 10, 2008, 01:40:37 am »

Running a Core 2 Quad, DF at normal priority, getting 5 FPS... and I'm not sure, but I think I'm getting around that many units offloaded per second as well.  It may be related to the screen size (105:65, 1680:1040).  Looks like it's maxing one core the entire time.

Edit: I suppose I should mention that the rest of world gen was notably slower as well.  But offloading units is terrible.

EDIT2:  Okay, guess I posted too soon.  Everything's pretty slow now, actually =\
I had renamed my atioglxx.dll since it seemed to be causing crashes soon as I launched the game.  My guess is it's rendering things entirely in software without it present, causing the massive slowdown across the board.  I'm running a 4870 and Catalyst 8.7
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 01:57:16 am by Keishin »
Quote from: zagibu
Don't ask how many times I've accidentally spawned an alligator completely covered in adamantine with a battle axe strapped to its tail.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [39F] Offloading Units glacially slow
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 02:31:38 am »

Running a Core 2 Quad...Looks like it's maxing one core the entire time.

DF is single threaded, it will only run on one core.  This is why there are repeated requests for "please add multi core support."

Keishin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 02:39:07 am »

I didn't expect or say otherwise.  I was just stating the fact.
Don't ask how many times I've accidentally spawned an alligator completely covered in adamantine with a battle axe strapped to its tail.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 03:10:45 am »

I didn't expect or say otherwise.  I was just stating the fact.

DF always uses up as much CPU as it can, it's just doing that much.

Calessa Lynn Orphiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 11:04:30 am »

For what it's worth, I have this same issue on my primary machine.  I actually gen worlds on my file server -- a much slower machine -- because despite the difference in specs, both offloading and history simulation go approximately 5x faster on that machine.

The game itself runs significantly better on my primary machine.  I don't recall the specs of the machines offhand, but I can post them when I get home in about an hour.

Keishin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 03:11:04 pm »

To clarify further, this is not normal.  Previously it would not max load when idle, and was significantly faster everywhere.  I'm able to get it up to I think... 20-something FPS on a standard size window immediately after embark & arrival, where I could previously hit 100 without any issues or significant load.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 03:14:52 pm by Keishin »

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 03:41:32 pm »

Hi!

I haven't gotten around to playing 39f yet, but I have spent some time world generating.

With the default screen size active, I have not seen any problems with the speed of generation or saving or whatever. At least for the generation bit, I would personally think the new screen size may be involved in the issue.

BTW, do you do window or full screen? Have you tried switching to the other?

Deathworks

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 05:58:06 pm »

Running a Core 2 Quad, DF at normal priority, getting 5 FPS... and I'm not sure, but I think I'm getting around that many units offloaded per second as well.  It may be related to the screen size (105:65, 1680:1040).  Looks like it's maxing one core the entire time.

Edit: I suppose I should mention that the rest of world gen was notably slower as well.  But offloading units is terrible.

EDIT2:  Okay, guess I posted too soon.  Everything's pretty slow now, actually =\
I had renamed my atioglxx.dll since it seemed to be causing crashes soon as I launched the game.  My guess is it's rendering things entirely in software without it present, causing the massive slowdown across the board.  I'm running a 4870 and Catalyst 8.7

Whats your FPS CAP and G FPS CAP?

Keishin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 08:26:10 pm »

100 and 60, respectively.

The current, slow performance seems to be the same whether windowed or fullscreen.  I typically prefer windowed.

Keishin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 11:23:54 pm »

I feel like I should re-state my current issue for clarity, as my mental faculties aren't quite at their fullest in the wee hours.

So normally (read: before 39f) I run the game windowed and, of course, at the default size.  With FPS set at 100 and GFPS at 50/60/100/whatever I can run the game perfectly smoothly until rather late-game (I play only Dwarf mode, only mods I've used are reveal and the embark-screen reveal thinger).  World gen used to take a little bit before 39, but up to 39e it was going markedly faster (I'm sure stopping earlier didn't hurt).

Now then, with the release of 39f I've been unable to launch the game normally.  It draws the initial window and vista immediately gives an error and closes the program.  It does this whether fullscreen or windowed, normal dimensions or not.  The error is in atioglxx.dll.  I renamed the file to atioglxx.old to see if it work then, and it does.

However, when I run it this way things are very slow.  Even with a default config I get a max FPS of about 30, and that's at title screen or after a fresh embark and paused.  I unpause and it lowers to the lower twenties.  It seems that it's constantly giving one core a max load at all times, which was not formerly the case.

Now, I interpret this as having manually killed gfx acceleration by renaming the file.  Gripes about multi-core cpu support aside, are there any known courses of action to improve performance here, to restore acceleration support (I've done a full uninstall/wipe of ATI software & reinstall already), or to do something on my part for more troubleshooting/debugging?

As stated earlier, I'm running a 4870 with Catalyst 8.7 (non-beta/hotfix) w/CCC.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 01:42:36 am »

atioglxx.dll

Looks like you need a new ATI OpenGL driver.

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 04:23:38 am »

The error is in atioglxx.dll.  I renamed the file to atioglxx.old to see if it work then, and it does. (...)
 (I've done a full uninstall/wipe of ATI software & reinstall already) (...)

atioglxx.dll

Looks like you need a new ATI OpenGL driver.

Quote from: codezero
fuck you're slow draco

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 06:43:37 am »

Hi!

Unfortunately, there is nothing concrete I can tell you.

However, since you have figured out which piece of software is glitching out, you might have chance to find a solution. See if there is any way to configure that software, either via a configuration tool that may have come with the installation or some other means. Check all the readme and stuff for that software for any hint.

If you are lucky, there is just some obscure feature you do not really need but which messes things up. So I suggest deactivating individual features/changing settings until you find out if and if which setting may be causing the issue.

Sorry, this is the best I can do for you.

Deathworks

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 09:44:08 am »

100 and 60, respectively.

The current, slow performance seems to be the same whether windowed or fullscreen.  I typically prefer windowed.

Okay, set your FPS cap to 60, and the G FPS CAP to 10 or 20
Tell me if that solved your problem or not.
Btw..FPS CAP to 60 is just perfect, when I set it to 1000 for example the dwarves are running around so fast that the game is unplayable.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 10:47:16 am »

fuck you're slow draco

Wow, you're an ass.  So I missed the line where they reinstalled their drivers, that's no excuse to be rude.
Pages: [1] 2