Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A game of my own creation  (Read 5444 times)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
Re: A game of my own creation
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 08:59:10 pm »

serious issue spider overpowered.

You forget, this is the forums of Dwarf Fortress.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 11:47:12 pm »

And you just have to sit and wonder why in the world you cannot get ye flask!

So Aq, any tips on places that have resources for MUD developers, or a robust MUD scripting tool?

I have been playing around with Coffeemud http://www.zimmers.net/home/mud/index.html, a pretty good java MUD codebase.

Just download the Coffeemud engine, unzip it somewhere, and run the make.bat file.

Once you have it running you can connect right to it with your MUD client at localhost and port 5555. You can also access a browser based area and room creation tool at http://localhost:27777/.

You can modify and create new creatures and items right inside of the MUD or from the browser. Since it is completely open source you can change any part of the game engine, you will have to know java though.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 03:27:47 pm »

If you're new to interactive fiction (text adventure) development and IF games in general, I strongly suggest checking out the IF wiki.  In particular, you can find links to information about programming IF languages here.

If it's writing games you're interested I believe there are several free development systems out there, whose games are already supported by a number of interpreters on all platforms.  If you want to play some IF but don't know what to try, check out Anchorhead (a Lovecraftian horror game) or Curses.  For a less traditional game, try Rematch, in which you can only take one turn before the game ends; the parser is pretty powerful in that one as I recall. 

If you're more interested in developing the engine, I haven't had a chance to try your game but it sounds like you could do well to take a look at what's out there to get a feel for what you should implement.  If you don't have the patience to play through a game, there are walkthroughs around for the better games and even following a walkthrough should give you a better feel for the genre.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 04:59:28 pm »

As promised, here's amuQuest v1.

True, but it's a spider, not a carp or elephant.

Thanks for the info korora. I'll have to trysome of those.
amuQuest wasn't really meant to be any thing in particular, just a game i made because i had a few half-formed ides and wanted to code. It's really something i used for a learning experience.

Here's an inside look at how it works:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I plan to continue with a GUI-based game played on a grid. Don't know when I'll even get started on it. "SolarShado cancels write game: playing games".

Thanks for the input!
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2008, 06:00:33 pm »

Many moons ago my friend who I knew at the time bought the HULK game. It was text based, so we put it on and tried to play. The game started off with somthing along the lines of..
"Bruce Banner is sitting in a large chair, in the center of the room."
And then it asked for your input. We spent hours typing in obvious things like "Get up" and "Exit Chair" but to no avail. I took the game back and got a refund, as did many other people. Years later I was reading a gaming magazine and it had a walkthrough for exactly the same game. The first command that you had to enter was "Bite lip". And then he turned into the Hulk, and from there on in it was a very enjoyable game. But the point is, games can be ruined by simple things such as this; make what you're supposed to do and the commands as clear as possible, even more so in a text based game.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2008, 06:10:00 pm »

Many moons ago my friend who I knew at the time bought the HULK game. It was text based, so we put it on and tried to play. The game started off with somthing along the lines of..
"Bruce Banner is sitting in a large chair, in the center of the room."
And then it asked for your input. We spent hours typing in obvious things like "Get up" and "Exit Chair" but to no avail. I took the game back and got a refund, as did many other people. Years later I was reading a gaming magazine and it had a walkthrough for exactly the same game. The first command that you had to enter was "Bite lip". And then he turned into the Hulk, and from there on in it was a very enjoyable game. But the point is, games can be ruined by simple things such as this; make what you're supposed to do and the commands as clear as possible, even more so in a text based game.

Say, isnt that was some C-64 game? I remember having a Hulk game for C-64, and it was text based also...

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2008, 06:13:54 pm »

Say, isnt that was some C-64 game? I remember having a Hulk game for C-64, and it was text based also...

Yep!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2008, 06:19:12 pm »

Yep!

Oh god, I also had no idea what to do in that game!  ;D

*edit*
OMG! Watch this movie Detrevni!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUgOrut7zP0

wow...its incredible that you can find everything on the net... :o
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 06:22:18 pm by Tormy »

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 06:39:10 pm »

Yep!

Oh god, I also had no idea what to do in that game!  ;D

*edit*
OMG! Watch this movie Detrevni!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUgOrut7zP0

wow...its incredible that you can find everything on the net... :o

Haha! That brings back memories. How clueless we were back then.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 06:49:36 pm »

HULK UNDERGROUND.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2008, 04:04:35 pm »

As promised, here's amuQuest v1.

True, but it's a spider, not a carp or elephant.

Thanks for the info korora. I'll have to trysome of those.
amuQuest wasn't really meant to be any thing in particular, just a game i made because i had a few half-formed ides and wanted to code. It's really something i used for a learning experience.

Here's an inside look at how it works:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I plan to continue with a GUI-based game played on a grid. Don't know when I'll even get started on it. "SolarShado cancels write game: playing games".

Thanks for the input!

Dern new kids, not getting giant cave spider references.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 11:49:14 am »

You are at the mouth of a cave which runs north in to a mountain.
A sign reads: "Welcome to Tut Cave."

There is a defense potion here.

:-? eat
Huh?
:-? eat ground
Huh?
:-? look
:-? read sign
Huh?
:-? go cave
Huh?
:-? enter cave
Huh?
:-? GO INTO THE GODDAMN CAVE
Huh?
:-? WALK INTO CAVE
Huh?
:-? WALK FORWARD
Huh?
:-? KILL SELF
Huh?
:-? Huh?
Huh?
:-?

I don't think I've ever literally laughed out loud so much that I've had tears by reading something, until now  :D

EDIT: also, Torak, I think your avatar displays exactly what a dwarf would look like if one did just as you did here
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 05:55:01 pm by Vaiolis »
Today's Toady Tip: 3 and 4 are not the same number.
How borgly is your borgle's borgle?
The Minister of BEEEES! and of The Great Charter for the Toady Protectorate!
Pages: 1 [2]