Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: dwarven Multiverse  (Read 11637 times)

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dwarven Multiverse
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2008, 08:19:46 pm »

yeah the areas choked full of coal and iron, ive hit an iron vein full on and scraped a coal vein already during my excavations.

Nice idea using a different colour Cajoes, really helps tell the difference. and its funny seeing everyone react to that damned hunter running at the kitty as soon as the game starts.

but has you'res killed a dark gnome? I think not.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2008, 08:26:27 pm »

I've only managed to get through part of spring and now I need to work.  In my reality, Gaulgath killed the giant jaguar without incident (and completely depopulated the mountain goats), and I almost lost Din-dan prospecting for the cave river.  Will have to play out the rest and write about it.  The first year is always the fastest.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2008, 09:08:39 pm »

Haven's universe:
Spoiler: Clicky! (click to show/hide)

This is turning out pretty well so far. So far being the operative words. (Kobolds with bows would not be good.)

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2008, 12:41:47 am »

Cajoes' Universe Story
Warning: Mighty wall of text! Raise the shields!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Chronicles of Government Dwarf.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Continuation:

+ + + + + + + +
5th of Felsite, late spring.
+ + + + + + + +

Ugh, my poor aching squeedilysquooch, been topside all week, polishing our entrance to a shine so the caravans won't simply pass on by thinking we were lost to the wilderness. It's been... busy.

First, I'd like to point out the silver veins in the walls of my temporary office. Technically it is miss what's-her-face's room, but I'm sure she won't mind me borrowing it for a few hours of sleep. Anyways, I believe the King will be pleasantly surprised at recieving a silver bottle of our finest locally produced dwarven rum as the first years tribute..

I was loathe to burn a few logs of our precious wood, but refining more fuel requires energy. Luckily the process should be self-sufficent now that we have coke production up and running... Personally I would have waited until we had the industrial districts up and running, the roars of the furnaces is deafening. And just outside the bedroom. Ah well it is a temporary space... I plan to have a giant shaft dug here.

+ + + + + + + +
23rd of Felsite
+ + + + + + + +

Truly this is a marvellous site... Silver, iron, bismuth, coal, gems, rare stones. More granite than you can possibly use... Remarkable. I won't doubt our prospectors judgement again.

++++++++++++
18th of Hematite
++++++++++++

Ach! Thieves! They must have followed us from the mountainhomes, I refuse to believe they simply found us by "dumb luck".

Baughn was clearly very shook up about the entire affair, and has retreated to his quarters, refusing to come out until the "furry devils" are gone. Gaulgath was quick on the offensive however and managed to nail the second thief in the right arm, it's pathetic yelp indicating it was a painful hit. After which he ran after it from our bedrooms, slided around the corner and shot the unconcious kobold two more times until it, sorry, he died.

Din-dan managed to fill in the blanks of the aftermath report as he was returning down the entrance ramp when the two kobolds tried to flee. Apparently the steel bolt must have struck a nerve since the second thief fell unconcious just around the corner. Had our defences been completed this would not have been a option for him. But then again, he'd probably been discovered earlier and had a greater chance of escaping had that been the case.

Spoiler: Piccie (click to show/hide)

I resigned myself to clean up the first blood spilled in Brokenrealms... And, I fear, not the last blood spilled... Lanlar have mercy on our beardy souls.

+ + + + + + + + + +

+++++++++++++++++++++
2nd Limestone Early Autumn
+++++++++++++++++++++

[expletive]ations! Why did nobody tell me we lacked a brewer?! Argh! I'll just do it myself then.

++++++++++
5th limestone:
++++++++++

It is complete, it's been a management nightmare.. But one finely crafted silver barrel of... passable rum has been brewed. I hope the king will like it, brewing is darned hard. Right, I'll need to make more rum for the fortress, lacking a water source (where is that blasted underground river?!) we'll simply have to suck moisture from any available source. . . mmm rum...

++++++++++
9th limestone:
++++++++++

Wow, in the nip of time, barely has the rum batch cooled before the liaison and the caravan arrives.
I wonder what they brought...
Oh yeah, did I mention the giant eagle? I hope they brought marksdwarves.

+++++++++++
12th limestone
+++++++++++

I decided to catch something to eat before I began the arduous task of trying to figure out what I was doing, I never took any classes in basic appraisal!

My initial concerns were misguided it appears, the merchant was kind enough to give me a crash course and I quickly caught on the basics. (My new title is Trader, woohoo! No more carpenting for moi.) I nodded to the marksdwarves present and began haggling. Luckily our silverwares seems to been more than enough, our flasks alone getting us a few bags of rock nuts, a dog, some barrels, some rum and beer and most of the food they brought with them, including some cow cheese.

I also bought some useless blocks of stone in order to make room on the wagon for the king's tribute. I threw in two of the three silver goblets as well (including a silver studded granite floodgate... I will have to have a word with mister Baughn, I am sure he means well, but no matter how much glitter you put on it, I don't want a floodgate in my office for any reason.)  for some more animals, a length of rope and a bronze pick. If we were going to get any digging done we needed more miners. - I instructed the merchant regarding the silver barrel and thanked him for his keen business sense, retiring to my office (hole in wall) to discuss next autumns caravan with our appointed liason.

Aaand that's when I ran into the Dark Gnome.

Needless to say, I was stunned, I always assumed they were the stuff of bad fairy tales. But here it was, small, obnoxious and picking its nose in my general direction. I quietly spun around and led the oblivious liaison to my office just as one of the caravan sword wielding guards rushed past me to make some dark gnome gazpacho.

We were well into discussing the contract when a high pitched expletive drifted in, followed by a wet thud. It would appear the sword dwarf was practicing his backhand.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Later inspection of the scene revealed that the dwarven military was in dire need of some sensitivity training. Gnome bits decorated the rocky countryside for yards. Giving it a surprisingly festive look.

Shrieks of terror suddenly cut off with a twang told me that Gaulgath (currently our entire military power) was having some fun with the remaining dark gnomes.

That man disturbs me on a fundamental level.

But then again he's just doing his job. With gusto.

Death toll is now 1 kobold and 4 dark gnomes... Bound to rise

++++++++++++
3rd of Sandstone
++++++++++++

Finally concluded negotiations with Dwarf home liaison. Humbly requested they bring cow leather, cows and wood. Oh [expletive] I forgot to ask for additional coal, ah well no big loss. Grabbing a pick to dig out our dining room now. I'm sure Din-Dan will appreciate the assistance, it's gonna be a big one. And I know most of the lads has been dying to have a table for their plate. As well as bigger rooms. In fact, I'm getting rid of the hovels we've had to put up with until now! Wee!

Addendum: I feel a little silly, after I had concluded the meeting I spotted some documents regarding my staff and apparently our sociopath guardsman is also our brewer. I'll quietly set up some brewing orders as the need arises.

+++++++++++++
13th of sandstone
+++++++++++++

Din-Dan plowed straight through a cluster of emeralds, nice. I can barely swing this pick.

+++++++++++++
24th of sandstone
+++++++++++++

Wow, I can hardly believe we're already finished,
now we just need some tables, a little polish.. maybe some statues and engravings.. Yeah, it will be nice.

Now for the bedrooms, yehaw!

++++++++++++++
28th of Sandstone
+++++++++++++

Whispers in my head... telling me to give up... but if I give up.. I will never know how it ends...

++++++++++
8th of Timber
++++++++++

We've.. or rather.. Din-Dan has struck Limonite. What the [expletive] is limonite?

++++++++++
22th of timber
++++++++++

Carved some humans and dwarves on the wall.. I wonder what the others are up to...

++++++++++++++++++++++
1st of Moonstone Early winter
++++++++++++++++++++++

I hereby declare the year to be done with. And I won't hear any objections. Our progress have been... astounding, for me at least. But still a dysmal failure! Where is my giant statue I ask? Not even started I see! Sloth!

However, we've successfully created some basic accomodations, secured ample supplies of food and drink and even rubbed the king's nose in a silver barrel of homebrewed rum. Most fortress only manage some meager rock mugs in their first year, but we are not most fortresses! We are Brokenrealms!

Well now that belligerent self-gratification is done with, I should probably try to get to know my people better. And focus on getting us some better rooms and water, I can barely move in this hole!

G-Dwarf signing off.

edit: addendum: Oh yeah, somehow, frapps was left running in the background so now I have 5 gigabytes of recorded dwarves... whoops
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 01:55:37 am by Cajoes »
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2008, 03:29:08 am »

I just have to ask .. Cajoe .. which tileset are you using :)

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2008, 05:55:41 am »

very nice update, and god I love killin' dark gnomes.

Antlia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2008, 06:33:36 am »

Sorry, I must retreat from this because I'm too busy and I have two other DF games running.

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2008, 06:40:03 am »

thats fair enough, but remember to keep checking up on you're dimension travelling dwarf! ;)

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2008, 08:08:34 am »

d3c0y2's Universe

Diary of Jennifer Unoltirist, Autumn 52

Well it ain't half been a year, at the beginin' of this year twenty two mi'grants came, twenty-two! to this dusty 'ell hole Notably it included another Mechanic an' another cook.

This cook is a bloody arse, he cooks these fancy gourmet' meals that don't fill ya even up, posin' pish-posh. No sooner had the migrants arrived then that G-dwarf went batso, he grabbed two boulders and claim'd the mechanics workshop, refusin' to come out till we have 'im a rockblock! Should of left 'im to starve, but the other's point'ed out it would nae look to good to the migrants, so we got him his block an' he set about making the most decadent mechanism I've ever seen, its got bloody spikes on'tha cogs! aye it has, Thats just gone made it useless, it's also got a picture o'er dwarves travellin' which he claims is about the foundin' o' broken realms. My ol' arse it is, He's standin' there at the fron' with this over the top beard and he's standin a good foot 'igher than the o'er dwarves leadin the way, like. in reality he sat in his bloody cart whils' the rest o us had ta' walk.

Atleas' it got him some experience in'the mech shop, n'surprisingly he can now churn out some impressi've gears, so we trapped the entrance with more stone fall traps.

We 'it across a huge iron chasm, n' im not much o'er drawer, but her'be a quick sketch o'er it.

Some little laddie came wit them too, he's so young his beard only just reaches i's neck, adorable little fella. He runs through the corridors 'elpin out what he can an never makin' a mess, I must find ou' who is mother is.

Gaulgath had two new hunters put under 'is command, they go out 'unting together and are also the fort gaurd, as I speak our new tann'er is makin' em armour and a bowyer is  makin' bolts out of bones, as theres been a giant eagle  'overing nearby recently and we t'ink it may be time to set up defences.

some peasant ejgit also made a cape out of three peices of leather, its decoarated with spikes of leather an' is utterly useless. And the bloody moron don' even know how e' made it.

Should be thrown out int' the desert. Damn idiot, aye 'e be.

Your's Grannie Jennie

PS: that G-dwarf seems to'er taken on a differen' light since e became a legendary mech, he just flung a kobold down a corrider breakin' its arm, then beat the everlovin' crap o'er it whilst it squeeled.
Maybe a'er was wrong abou' im.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 08:37:36 am by d3c0y2 »

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2008, 09:09:24 am »

Gaul's Universe

Early Summer

G-Dwarf, carpenter and expedition leader, gazed out of the entrance into the red sands of the desert. Surprisingly, things were going quite well for the band of seven dwarves. They all had bedrooms, farms had been set up and the dining hall was beginning to come into shape. Game was rather good here, and Gaulgath had no trouble bringing in and butchering animals for them.

That is not to say, of course, that they had it made here. Without a good water source, they had to keep constant tabs on the booze supply. Should they ever run out  (Lanlar forbid!) they wouldn't have anything to drink and would surely perish!

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2008, 09:43:49 am »

I just have to ask .. Cajoe .. which tileset are you using :)

I call them Ur-Dwarves. A slight modification of Dystopian Rhetoric. They're slight exaggerations of dwarfdom, fishers wear yellow anoraks, stoneworkers wear hardhats, and so on.

I call them Ur because the original peasant sprite I started out with resembled something carved from living rock and imbued with the wrath of the very elemental forces of nature itself. Short, solid and grumpy.

And it's a work in progress. I add a few sprites between sessions.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2008, 09:59:55 am »

They look awesome :)
where can I get them ?

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2008, 11:18:06 am »

D3c0y2's universe

22nd o'er slate, 53.
Dear Diary:

It nae seems we have two artifact mechanisms, this second one made out of IRON!
With two legend' mechs and an legend' miner our city is becomin' a tech'ni'logical wonder lan', they've managed to carve the mountain to fit o'er needs, and built a defencive wall in'tae the mountain itself, and the mechanical traps we rigged up with goblin weaponr'ry wiped out a goblin ambush.

O'ever a carpenter went mad and starved to'death within the carpentry room, and some the gourmet cook used all o'er plump elmets on his newest creation, unfort'natly he used the plump helmets that were goin' ta be that seasons brew, and we almost died o'er thirst before the next crop was ready to be brewed. Work has began on a second bigger farm so that situation never happens again!

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2008, 12:49:07 pm »

11th Limestone

The traders arrived and quickly unloaded their goods onto the depot. The dwarves didn't have much: some shell crafts and bone bolts were all they could sell.

14th Limestone

G-Dwarf, after much negotiation, manages to secure five plump helmets and some fish meat from the merchants

19th Sandstone

Din-Dan, legendary miner, swung his pick high for another strike against the rock. He glanced at his target and... he paused. The stone was damp! Water!

"WATER!" he yelled! "Water!"

21st Sandstone

The migrants gathered near the wagon, eager for their job assignments.

10th Timber

Din-Dan struck down the wall in front of him, and was nearly deafened by the roar of the cave river. He'd found it! Water!

Near instantly, a hideous green creature lept from the water. Din-Dan screamed and quickly ran down the stairs into the hallway bellow. The frogman pursued, but soon found itself on the receiving end of a pickax strike, killing it.

Early Winter - Battle At the River

Din-Dan, Gaulgath and a peasant who had recently migrated to Brokenrealms soon found themselves trying to defend the outpost from the terrible creatures from the river. The battle originally went well, with Din-Dan and the peasant holding off the beasts as Gaulgath shot them down. But soon they found themselves overwhelmed, and Din-Dan and the peasant fell into the river and were torn apart by the many monsters there. Gaulgath could do nothing but listen to their garbled screams of agony as their limbs were torn off one by one.

Gaulgath guarded G-Dwarf as he walled off the entrance to the river.

The outpost had lost more than their miner, however. With him fell their only pick. Things suddenly looked bleak for the dwarves of Brokenrealms.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2008, 01:17:36 pm »

Owch, Gaul... Well, at least you have an anvil and a hammer.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7