Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.39f Released  (Read 27330 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.39f Released
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2008, 10:17:22 pm »

Okay, simple instructions:

For the [GRID:#:#], put in the width and height (in that order), in tiles.

Then multiply the number of tiles by the height of a tile in your tileset. Then multiply the width in tiles by the width of a single tile in your tileset.

Put these numbers in [WINDOWEDX:#] and [WINDOWEDY:#]. X is width, and Y is height.

I dumbed it down as much as possible. I hope it helps.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2008, 12:03:42 am »

You're right I think in saying that there's no reason why we can't have games with good graphics + depth. But I still think that even with very big budget games one can be sacrificed to the other. Not just that it is thought that depth is no necessary, but that staff and budgetary constraints really do restrict them, as well as particular choices about going for that immediate, surface level wow factor. My example of Obilivion: fully voice acted. Every line of dialogue. But at the end of the day you only have so much space on a DVD. And only so much money and time to pay voice actors. So you have very little dialogue, and only about 8 people voicing several hundred characters. Thats more of an "ear candy"? example... but I think it holds...

I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Possessed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2008, 06:28:26 am »

The reason big games nowadays have no real depth is because they are so fucking expensive and time-consuming to make. So game companies can't really gamble on things like gameplay and instead choose to make big-selling games that go well with the general audience by including ballbusting graphics.

The more you know!  ;D
*meep*

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2008, 08:13:39 am »

You're right I think in saying that there's no reason why we can't have games with good graphics + depth. But I still think that even with very big budget games one can be sacrificed to the other. Not just that it is thought that depth is no necessary, but that staff and budgetary constraints really do restrict them, as well as particular choices about going for that immediate, surface level wow factor. My example of Obilivion: fully voice acted. Every line of dialogue. But at the end of the day you only have so much space on a DVD. And only so much money and time to pay voice actors. So you have very little dialogue, and only about 8 people voicing several hundred characters. Thats more of an "ear candy"? example... but I think it holds...

i really dont think voice acting is very time consuming, nor expensive for such large companies, at least in comparison to developing 3d graphics, models, animations etc.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2008, 09:42:49 am »

i really dont think voice acting is very time consuming, nor expensive for such large companies, at least in comparison to developing 3d graphics, models, animations etc.
You'd be surprised. Good VA can be extremely time-consuming and pricey.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Hundsstern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2008, 09:57:43 am »

I don't think that many people want to play games with great depth. Most of them don't have the time for learning such a complex game like DF for example. Some of them are just too stupid for DF.

Mainstream-people demands short and dumb gameplay. The game industry knows that and fulfills the wishes of mainstream gamers. ( I like some of the dumb games too ;) )
Mainstream money kills true ambition and good ideas. Even Sid Meier has lost his ability to create really! great games like before. No great Development.  >:(

And i think too, that "Too many cooks spoil the broth". Too much personal influence from all the developers destroying a game. To much rules destroy creativity.

Oblivion was bullshit. Even with mods, a relatively dead arcade world with respawning highly armored bandits and lvl-scaling monsters. I tried it twice and i hate it.
Freedom and individuality!

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2008, 01:53:16 pm »

hm... i didn't mind oblivion especially if you added some mods. Though i do believe morrowind had far more depth (and werewolves... everyone loves werewolves).. you can't write of all games as being bad though.. its all opinion, i love games like Dwarf Fortress, but some days you just want a mindless shooter to get rid of anger or whatever.. they all serve a purpose. (barring the stuff thats just so half arsed its not worth looking at -.-)

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2008, 02:55:42 pm »

Oblivion is a good framework for a game, but lacks content. They should have put something in all those dungeons and caves, given all those people something interesting to say, build on the cool things like vampirism or the different orders.

Instead all those procedurally generated surroundings were useless, because no matter where you went, you saw the same monsters, you got the same loot, and there was nothing else to do. I still wonder why they bothered to include hundreds of dungeons and caves...

Maybe they did plan to fill the world. But then someone in a decisive position said: "Why spend more money when the game's looks alone will sell the game?" And, from an economical standpoint, they were right.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2008, 07:40:38 pm »

Play the Origanal Half Life.
Then play Halo 3.

Do it and you'll see what I mean.
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2008, 03:28:14 am »

Ahh, the original half-life... nice.

Actually, while I am knocking Obilivion, it is the game I'm spending the most time on at the mo.  ;D

But I wouldn't dream of playing it vanilla. Had to spend many many hours downloading good mods. It might sound crazy.. but I have got 50 running. Of course, most of those are small in scale, tweaking the code, and adding a bit of content, but one is very big. Obscuro's Oblivion Overhaul.... don't play without it. It's a different game.

Anyway, this is not the oblivion boards, so I'm gonna shut up about it now :P

DF rules!
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2008, 10:45:44 am »

Have anyone seen a good adventure game latly. One that isn't focused of hard core action 75<->90% of the time.
I think the number of games that fit this category for the last 8 years are less then 10. And then i mean adventure and point and click games that arent just trying to steal quick money with poor gameplay (the new sam and max series, may you burn!!!)

The one I can count are.

Run away: a road adventure.
Zak and Wiki.
? ? ?
? ? ?
? ? ?

Story is not the big thing any more, and if it is, it's hidden under loads of loads of nonstop alien killing action.
(I don't mind that either but please give me a good adventure that doesn't have the feeling of being pulled out of a rats arse.)

Text adventures evolved in to point and click, point and click had som more "realtime/ less gui" games followups. Then it all died...

Doh I am OT!!!!! :'(
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 10:47:55 am by TheSpaceMan »
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Frobozz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2008, 11:57:34 am »

the new sam and max series, may you burn!!!
A bit more off-topic but oh well. I personally think the new Sam and Max is great. Its probably the best game to come out in a while that isn't full of stupid puzzles with the story made to fit the puzzles instead of the puzzles made to fit the game (Dreamcatcher sells a lot of lame games that are more about puzzles than actual story).

Anyways the way companies see it, why bother making a fancy story. Just make a game that is easily modded. Then the customer makes the story for you and buys your game. Thus no real work is done by the company. ;D

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2008, 12:04:11 pm »

That being said i would easily pay 30£ for a good adventure game and it's follow and it's followups followups, even if they are all made in the same engine. ^^ Oh well.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

duro

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2008, 04:47:16 pm »

Doh I am OT!!!!! :'(
While we're at it, a couple of months ago there was Edna (>), a great game if you happen to speak Schnitzelkraut. The genre is not completely dead yet, it's just spending its time vegetating until nobody will remember anymore so it can redraw to die in dignity.  :-[
If slavery, barbarism and desolation are to be called peace, men can have no worse misfortune.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2008, 08:21:48 pm »

Actually, Adventures kind of had a revival in Germany during the last three years. There were quite a few, and some weren't bad at all...but not a single one could even hint at the brilliance of any one of the old Lucasarts Games.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5