Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: None-Linear, Open-ended, Multiple Choice Games.  (Read 7027 times)

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
Re: None-Linear, Open-ended, Multiple Choice Games.
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2008, 08:57:43 pm »

Oh sorry, I missed that.  I've been following Fallout 3 and everything I've seen so far has made me think it's not going to be much better.  It seems like there will be some consequences for your choices this time, though the only example I've seen is that retarded blow up Megaton thing.  Everything else about that game looks so bad that a few choices with consequences really won't make up for it for me.

Hey, what about Elite?

There's also a PS2 game called Way of the Samurai that's very multi-linear.  There are like seven different ending depending on your choices, but the game is pretty short.  The conversations in that game were kind of cool too because you could choose when to speak as well as what to say.

PC Gamer did a preview of a much more updated version, where he said: While not the same isometric view, it held very strong to the fallout feel, he also said, that VATS makes the idea of Oblivion with Guns obsolete.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2008, 01:07:17 am »

There are a few generally open-ended space-themed games out there. One is Flatspace. Another is Edge of Chaos, but that one's got only one ending, though it does give you free leave to cause havok through the three star systems.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Revvy1911

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2008, 02:03:47 am »

Nice choices, although I've probably played almost every game listed here.. Haha, I'll name off the games on my computer and maybe someone can throw in something else I missed! Or isn't already mentioned in this topic!

heres what I have installed on my cpu..

Mass Effect
Arcanum
Armed Assault
Medieval Total war 2 (W/exp)
Startopia
Alpha Centauri (With expansion)
Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Dungeon Keeper 2
Space Rangers 2
Neverwinter nights(all expansions)
Neverwinter nights 2(w/ exp)
Knights of honor
eschalon Book 1
Geneforge 4
Theme Hospital
Oblivion
King of dragon Pass
Master of Orion 3
Hardwar
Imperium Galactica 2
Fallout 2
The Ur-quan Masters. (Space Control 2)
Mount And blade

(Also sitting next to me on my shelf of uninstalled games, I won't name them all but a few.. Quantic Dream For The Nomad Soul, Police Quest Series, Swat Series(Swat 2-3-4), Immortal Cities children of the Nile, and SHENMU!!!!! Not a PC game but hey..)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 02:07:33 am by Revvy1911 »

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2008, 02:04:48 am »

Actually, you move your mouse to way you want to attack from.  If you move the mouse to the right and click, you'll attack from the right.

Wait, what.

Mount and Blade has difficult combat? Wow. It's pretty much the simplest type of combat out there, you move your mouse the way you want to swing, click, and release.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Revvy1911

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2008, 02:13:16 am »

^^ In concern to Mount and Blade, run the game, click options, where it says "Control block Direction" make sure that it's set to AUTOMATIC. And under that the attack direciton to Inverse Mouse movement (works 10x better then regular mouse trust me, this is a first person swinger, not a first person shooter)

Now what this means is, when an enemy attacks you, right when you see his hand lift in the air to swing at you(if your using a two-hander, or a one handed weapon with no shield)  Quickly hit your right mouse button and your character will block, when you hear the swords collide indicating a successful block quickly counter but doing a left to right swing by moving your mouse to the right, while at the same time hitting, or holding and releasing the left mouse button, or you can do any direction, move mouse up for overhead swing, down for gut stab, etc etc.

Also when using archery, the longer you hold the arrow within the notch, the less accurate your shot will be.. So it's best to aim high above your target if hes far, quickly draw and fire and repeat until an arrow goes through his/her brains.

Best tactic to do when out numbered? Get a horse, being on foot is almost suicidal as their multiple attacks will interrupt yours leaving you in an endless bout to defend your life with getting less swings in. Horses you can ram them, slit their throats from a riding pass, or Coach a lance into their chest with a spear.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 02:15:44 am by Revvy1911 »

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2008, 02:17:12 am »

I've been playing Mount and blade for damn near three years, I'm pretty sure I know.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Revvy1911

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2008, 02:19:47 am »

I was hinting towards Cthulhu and him talking about having troubles with the controls.. Good for you though, and same here.. Good games deserve to be played until they break.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2008, 05:06:25 am »

Offtopic:

Revvy1991, You play KoH! Oh, I finally found the one that lead me here.

Ontopic:

If only there is a Open-Ended, None-Linear, Multiple-Choice JRPGs. Dream that will not be true.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2008, 09:07:28 am »

I see a wolfquest icon....

*giggidy*

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2008, 09:29:46 am »

wall of text..

Firstly how do you install something on your CPU?  ;D
Secondly, MOO3? That game was pretty much horrible imo.

Also you guys have listed LOT OF not open-ended games and some quite linar games in this thread so far... ::)
I think that this is yet another "my favourite games" thread.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 11:44:11 am by Tormy »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2008, 10:56:58 am »

I see a wolfquest icon....

*giggidy*

I see it too.  Oh man that must be embarrassing.  That's like having the novelisation of the Spongebob movie lying out in the open while friends are over.
Shoes...

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2008, 11:33:46 am »

Hardwar FTW and mentioned only once.

I think if you really want open-ended gameplay you should do a MUD or something.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2008, 11:38:51 am »

If only there is a Open-Ended, None-Linear, Multiple-Choice JRPGs. Dream that will not be true.

There're no open-ended, but there are a few nonlinear ones. See Phantasy Star 3 and 4. The third has 4 endings based on choices in the first and second generations (that lead through entirely different storylines), and the fourth is more linear but has some nice bits as well.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2008, 12:19:33 pm »

Yeah, PSIII and PSIV are good bets. Not strictly a traditional JRPG, but Legend of Mana (PSX) is extremely open-ended. There's also this (Japanese) "RPG Remix Adventure" for the PSX called "Moon" that I'm really interested in, but I cannot speak Japanese.

I was thinking of Chaos World (NES) for a second, but realized that it's not nearly as open-ended as I had thought. Damn good RPG though, especially for its time. Even had a Day/Night system.

Oh! There is an Open-Ended, Non-Linear, Multiple(ish)-Choice JRPG (Series!): Romancing SaGa / Saga Frontier. Romancing SaGa 3 for the SNES (translated) is probably my favorite, though its multiple choices are usually limited to "greedy" and "not greedy", sometimes "sure I'll help" and "go do it yourself". Great music though, done by Kenji Ito. Aeon Genesis is working on a translation for Romancing SaGa 2, if I recall, which is different enough to be worth a play after having played RS3.

That's all I can think of for open-ended JRPGs.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2008, 12:47:54 pm »

Is Chrono Trigger a JRPG?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5