Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: None-Linear, Open-ended, Multiple Choice Games.  (Read 7015 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: None-Linear, Open-ended, Multiple Choice Games.
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 10:25:45 am »

If you seek something Fallout-like, then try Arcanum, it's the nearest thing to Fallout out there, although a bit more story focused.

There's also Darklands, an ol' party-based cRPG in medieval Germany without much of a main story to follow (there's said to be one somewhere in the game, but I've never found it), it's mostly about seeking fame and fortune.

You may find the 2004 Pirates! remake worth looking into.

There's also Mount & Blade, which sort of plays like Pirates! on land.

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 02:37:36 pm »

I assume that any City Building game is 'Open ended' by definition. And since that's true, play Tropico. You won't regret wasting your hours trying to get your Communist islanders a respectable cigar industry.

Holy crap, yes.  I miss this game so much.  Shenanigans on Tropico 2, though.  I was wishing so hard for an update and then surprise!  Pirates!  Frickin' pirates.  There's enough of them already.

If you seek something Fallout-like, then try Arcanum, it's the nearest thing to Fallout out there, although a bit more story focused.

There's also Darklands, an ol' party-based cRPG in medieval Germany without much of a main story to follow (there's said to be one somewhere in the game, but I've never found it), it's mostly about seeking fame and fortune.

You may find the 2004 Pirates! remake worth looking into.

There's also Mount & Blade, which sort of plays like Pirates! on land.

Also incredible.  This is what combat in TES games should've been.
Tessie! 'nuf said' McGreevy shouted,
we're not here to mess around!
Boston, you know we love you madly,
hear the crowd roar to your sound!
Don't blame us if we ever doubt ya, you know we couldn't live without ya!
RED SOX!  You are the only, only, only!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 03:13:10 pm »

Well, there's Oblivion.  It's a terribly boring and unoriginal game that butchered the lore of the previous games in the series, but it's open ended in that you can wander around killing things and picking herbs all you want, or you can complete a number of linear quests, like saving the world, whenever you feel like getting around to it, or you can refuse them and choose to do them later.  I guess you could say the game gives you allot of choices, but pretty much none of them actually matter.

I always did the main quest first, it felt weird to have a guy tell you you have to save the world and somesuch(Which is why I don't like Oblivion's storyline, I mean come on.  How do we go from messiah everyone hates to ZOMG  TEH DEMUNZ R CUMING?!)and just be like "Eh, I'll do it later"
Shoes...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 03:30:07 pm »

Daggerfall didn't even make you the messiah.  It was all about political intrigue with a bit of ancient super magic thrown in to upset the balance.  Your character even had a background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh24sXlxY8s&feature=related

Notice that Ocato is not an Altmer in this video.  The king of worms wasn't an Altmer in Daggerfall either (he also wasn't a pitiful weakling), and necromancers weren't just mindless killers.  And while I'm already going off topic on Oblivion's evil Altmer fetish Mankor Camoran, the main bad guy in the game, is an Altmer... even though both his parents were Bosmer.  Also, Daggerfall an the original uncensored version of The Real Berenzia.

Anyway, back on topic, Mount and Blade is great!  They're having a contest over at RPGCodex to give away a bunch of copies.  You just have to draw something M&B related in MS Paint.

Darklands is cool though the combat is really confusing, as is allot of the game.

The X series is really slow paced, but if you're patient you can get some really cool stuff happening.  Commanding an inter-stellar corporation that you built yourself from the bridge of your own carrier is pretty cool, though I never got that far.  It's got a full dynamic economy so if you were strong and ruthless enough you could corner the market on a commodity my taking out the stations that produce it.  Thus forcing everyone to buy from you.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 03:47:27 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 06:55:09 pm »

I really want to like Mount and Blade, I desperately want to like it, but the controls are absolutely infuriating, in the training field my character outright refuses to attack from the direction I indicate, instead going for the complete opposite attack, sometimes eight or nine times in a row, despite my increasingly wild jerking on the mouse.  Also, blocking is useless, you can't get an attack in between blocking their attacks, I just dodge, screw shields.  Since the controls are impossible and you can only take one or two hits, you inevitably get captured by bandits, lose all of your money and companions, sometimes your items, and at this point I start to wonder if it's really worth going through all of this just to lose it all again a few minutes later.
Shoes...

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 07:14:18 pm »

I really want to like Mount and Blade, I desperately want to like it, but the controls are absolutely infuriating, in the training field my character outright refuses to attack from the direction I indicate, instead going for the complete opposite attack, sometimes eight or nine times in a row, despite my increasingly wild jerking on the mouse.  Also, blocking is useless, you can't get an attack in between blocking their attacks, I just dodge, screw shields.  Since the controls are impossible and you can only take one or two hits, you inevitably get captured by bandits, lose all of your money and companions, sometimes your items, and at this point I start to wonder if it's really worth going through all of this just to lose it all again a few minutes later.

Which is why you ride around on your horse and chop off their heads with a nice big axe  ;D Fighting on the ground is good if you have meat shields engaging people so you can do some 1 on 1, otherwise the enemy likes to swarm you with a never ending barrage of knives and clubs.

The only part I can't the hang of in mount and blade is ranged weapons, usually miss and apparently your enemies learned more about MC Hammer than they did about shields.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 07:27:36 pm »

The horse combat is worse than the ground combat, it's there where he refuses to attack properly.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 07:39:49 pm »

I guess it takes a while before you get used to the timing on the targeting...  I never really had a problem with it, but that's just me. 

Also, who in blight's name said you couldn't go very far in Freelancer???  Once the plot's over, you get an entire universe to zoom around in.  There are all sorts of pirate-controlled areas around the fringe stars, packing the most powerful ships in the entire game.  There are also plenty of large vessel wrecks that can contain experimental weaponry that can pack a seriously nasty punch.

And then there are all the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, yeah...  When you're in the middle of the main plot, there's not a whole lot of wandering around.  Once you're out of it, the place opens up like you would not believe.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 07:54:08 pm »

X3 Reunion if you ignore the COMPLETLY OPTIONAL storyline.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 07:54:36 pm »

It's not a matter of timing, I've gotten that pretty well down, it's that about 70% of the time, moving the mouse left and attacking causes him to swing to the right and vice versa.  But whatever, as much as I'd like to like it, I'm not going to continue to piss myself off trying to slog my way through it.
Shoes...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2008, 08:26:39 pm »

No offense Chthulu, but it sounds like you're just really bad at it. :P You know you can change the controls and the combat speed right?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2008, 08:36:58 pm »

Mount and Blade has difficult combat? Wow. It's pretty much the simplest type of combat out there, you move your mouse the way you want to swing, click, and release.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 08:46:53 pm »

Actually, you move your mouse to way you want to attack from.  If you move the mouse to the right and click, you'll attack from the right.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2008, 08:47:37 pm »

Maybe I'm just not moving deliberately enough.  The other big problem is random weapons in tournaments.  It's a hard, angry kick to the groin to get to the finals in a tournament and being forced to fight with a bow against Lord Decapitator.
Shoes...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2008, 08:48:29 pm »

Well, it's a skill based game modified by character skill, so practice makes perfect.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5