Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: None-Linear, Open-ended, Multiple Choice Games.  (Read 7013 times)

Revvy1911

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: None-Linear, Open-ended, Multiple Choice Games.
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2008, 12:50:46 pm »

*Coughs* Yeah so about that wolfquest icon.. *Slowly deletes it while distracting the masses with Tea, Chocolate, and video games* What wolf quest icon? It's my sisters.. I swear. *finds a hidden door out*

Also maybe I didn't elaborate more on the topic haha, let me dig into detail on what exactly I meant. Even though we probably named all the games in existence, something is telling me we're missing some that fits in this category!

Games that would rightfully fit in this topic would have the following traits (Expandable of course if I missed any. (and they are also AND,OR, so it could have one, but not all of them and still be a good game.)

1. Allow you to have a multiple choice Dialog with NPCS, often determining how the story will play out from the choices you make in game. (Arcanum)
2. Has a plot, but is OPTIONAL. (Or if it's forced, at least must have quite a few side-quests a la Elder Scrolls: Oblivion)
3. No time-limit, able to move at your own pace. (Sorry Fallout 1)
4. Presistant World. (A La X3: Reunion)
5. Any others I missed that match above in the "You are your own character" category.
6. The games can be any genre, as long as they fit above, Strategy, RP, 4x games etc.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 01:06:45 pm by Revvy1911 »

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2008, 01:50:48 pm »

Is Chrono Trigger a JRPG?

Is Dwarf Fortress a Roguelike? It's close enough to be subjective among different people, so I'd say it is. I'd consider it one anyway, despite its differences. When in doubt, I say, does the game have a little white glove/hand pointing to your next action?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2008, 03:08:12 pm »

If white pointing gloves were defining, Double Dragon would be a JRPG. :)

Anyways, of all those 4X games are probably the best fitting, like MOO and Imperium Galactica 2, specifically. Optional plot, dialogues, quests, no limits, persistant galaxy during the game, ample fighting, and etc. Some elite-rpgs like Space Rangers (proudly created by ex-USSR citizens) and Vangers also fit in this category. Actually, I think Vangers can fit any category, except strategic. It's even got racing championships...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2008, 03:13:58 pm »

1. Allow you to have a multiple choice Dialog with NPCS, often determining how the story will play out from the choices you make in game. (Arcanum)
2. Has a plot, but is OPTIONAL. (Or if it's forced, at least must have quite a few side-quests a la Elder Scrolls: Oblivion)
3. No time-limit, able to move at your own pace. (Sorry Fallout 1)
4. Presistant World. (A La X3: Reunion)
5. Any others I missed that match above in the "You are your own character" category.
6. The games can be any genre, as long as they fit above, Strategy, RP, 4x games etc.

While it breaks a few of those (1 and 2), I would STRONGLY recommend Space Empires V based on some of your other games.  It's my all-time favorite 4X.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2008, 03:28:09 pm »

Oh sorry, I missed that.  I've been following Fallout 3 and everything I've seen so far has made me think it's not going to be much better.  It seems like there will be some consequences for your choices this time, though the only example I've seen is that retarded blow up Megaton thing.  Everything else about that game looks so bad that a few choices with consequences really won't make up for it for me.

Hey, what about Elite?

There's also a PS2 game called Way of the Samurai that's very multi-linear.  There are like seven different ending depending on your choices, but the game is pretty short.  The conversations in that game were kind of cool too because you could choose when to speak as well as what to say.

PC Gamer did a preview of a much more updated version, where he said: While not the same isometric view, it held very strong to the fallout feel, he also said, that VATS makes the idea of Oblivion with Guns obsolete.

Of course that contradicts what everyone else said about it. ::)  I've seen VATS, all it does is pause the game and let you target people.  Then it plays a canned animation of you firing.  It does this every time.  It got annoying and repetitive during just the gameplay videos I've seen, expecially since the animation is Bethesda's usual quality, or lack thereof.  VATS is not some big revolution.  It's just a variation of the slowmo targeting this in Call of Juarez.  They've scaled back, simplified, and dumbed down everything.  Even Super-Mutants.

I mean, it's PCGamer's word that 'Trust us, it's true to the series and not at all Oblivion with guns.' against all the other previewers words and the facts they've released that pretty much prove that it isn't true to the series and that it is Oblivion with guns.

Gaming journalism these days is a joke anyway.  If game companies don't give positive previews or reviews they may be excluded from getting information, advertisements or even sued.  They spend more time coming up with creative ways to praise a game's faults than they do analyzing them.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2008, 05:24:31 pm »

Oh sorry, I missed that.  I've been following Fallout 3 and everything I've seen so far has made me think it's not going to be much better.  It seems like there will be some consequences for your choices this time, though the only example I've seen is that retarded blow up Megaton thing.  Everything else about that game looks so bad that a few choices with consequences really won't make up for it for me.

Hey, what about Elite?

There's also a PS2 game called Way of the Samurai that's very multi-linear.  There are like seven different ending depending on your choices, but the game is pretty short.  The conversations in that game were kind of cool too because you could choose when to speak as well as what to say.

PC Gamer did a preview of a much more updated version, where he said: While not the same isometric view, it held very strong to the fallout feel, he also said, that VATS makes the idea of Oblivion with Guns obsolete.

Of course that contradicts what everyone else said about it. ::)  I've seen VATS, all it does is pause the game and let you target people.  Then it plays a canned animation of you firing.  It does this every time.  It got annoying and repetitive during just the gameplay videos I've seen, expecially since the animation is Bethesda's usual quality, or lack thereof.  VATS is not some big revolution.  It's just a variation of the slowmo targeting this in Call of Juarez.  They've scaled back, simplified, and dumbed down everything.  Even Super-Mutants.

I mean, it's PCGamer's word that 'Trust us, it's true to the series and not at all Oblivion with guns.' against all the other previewers words and the facts they've released that pretty much prove that it isn't true to the series and that it is Oblivion with guns.

Gaming journalism these days is a joke anyway.  If game companies don't give positive previews or reviews they may be excluded from getting information, advertisements or even sued.  They spend more time coming up with creative ways to praise a game's faults than they do analyzing them.

OK first of all, He said VAT helped slow things down, and make things more strategic, not that it completely changed things, AND he said the game FELT like Fallout, the atmosphere and the feel of the game - tone and mood. Not the gameplay but the very important atmosphere played like it should in a fallout game. I have been looking over walkthroughs and things for fallout 1, and 2, and I think over time, you guys yourselfs are the ones who have lost a little bit of sense of what fallout is and was. JUST like the blind support of JRPG fans, the fallout fans are seemingly blinded by their desire for a fallout 3, that would be exactly the same as fallout 1, and 2, except bigger and more expansive and longer. The concept of a tiny change, makes them sick. IDK I have never played Fallout 1 or 2 extensively, mainly because I come from the newer generation of gamers. If you want to complain it isn't fallout because it isn't isometric, and it seems exactly like oblivion, you in the red, because when the Older RPGs came out, it was about the feeling and tone of the game  that held attention not the action.

What ever, I am retarded.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2008, 05:31:17 pm »

IDK I have never played Fallout 1 or 2 extensively, mainly because I come from the newer generation of gamers.

Your argument holds no water since you're oblivious to what Fallout was.

Also, I know for damn sure that Fallout 3 is no 'small change' from 1 and 2.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 05:39:01 pm by Torak »
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Revvy1911

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2008, 05:42:55 pm »

We should make a Fallout Wars thread, let's try to stick too the topic at hand eh?! We're all entitled to our opinions of course, and we all won't know if FALLOUT 3 is oblivion with guns until the game is released.. So let's hold our hot water for each other until the day it's released, then you can pursue arguments on this matter.. It seems pretty pointless at the moment considering we only get to see/hear what the game journalists think.

I like what we have so far, we're getting a nice list of games here. I took a look a Space Empires V but it seems very complex, hopefully it has a tutorial in game or something. Anyone able to expand on the features of Space Empires V would be helpful as well.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2008, 05:58:11 pm »

We should make a Fallout Wars thread, let's try to stick too the topic at hand eh?! We're all entitled to our opinions of course, and we all won't know if FALLOUT 3 is oblivion with guns until the game is released.. So let's hold our hot water for each other until the day it's released, then you can pursue arguments on this matter.. It seems pretty pointless at the moment considering we only get to see/hear what the game journalists think.

Bethesda making the game is knowledge enough that the game will a hollow husk of fallout filled with broken dreams.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Linear, Open-ended, Multiple Choice Games.
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2008, 06:17:52 pm »

A rotting pickle husk half-empty of broken dreams, you mean.

It comes down to Fallout 3 not being Black Isle's baby, it's Bethesda's baby. Which means it simply won't be the same thing. That said, I think it would have been valuable to gather the same people who worked on FO1 and FO2 to work on FO3 instead of just throwing Bethesda employees at it.

I think if Black Isle folks made FO3 it would be better and we would all like it more.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Revvy1911

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2008, 06:58:07 pm »

Fallout Topics go http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=22925.0 .

Let's keep this for None-Linear, Open-ended, Multiple Choice Games.

Thanks!

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2008, 07:06:29 pm »

Topics getting put onto a whole other discussion are just what happens here.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2008, 07:58:06 pm »

It's like RPGCodex with less stupid.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2008, 10:21:56 pm »

Shining Force - you can choose which characters to strengthen.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2008, 09:40:37 am »

I know we've moved on, but Gamespot is giving away free registration keys for Mount and Blade, since it's coming out in a month.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5