Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Friendly Creature with BuildingDestroyer: seeking out statues  (Read 1162 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Friendly Creature with BuildingDestroyer: seeking out statues
« on: August 09, 2008, 02:34:50 am »

Ok, this one is a little weird, since it's a modded in race that's being friendly due to the changes in 39.

Basically, I had some Frost Giants (modded race with building destroyer 1) show up. Ok, fine, I expected that. But, when they got to my fortress, they systematically ran around and toppled every statue in the fortress, and destroyed all my Archery targets.

I think maybe the Wiki is wrong about building destroyer. I thought 2 meant they sought out stuff to destroy, and 1 meant they only destroyed stuff that was in the way. Or maybe there is a bug with that too.

In any case, friendly (Merchant) creatures with Building destroyer really should be trashing the place. Not without getting themselves tagged as hostile, anyway. And it'd be better if they just played nice. :)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Friendly Creature with BuildingDestroyer: seeking out statues
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 03:17:10 am »

Just a thing, you generally do not want to mod trading creatures to have the building destroyer tags as they then destroy the trade depot when they arrive. This can then cause glitches anywhere from all of them being killed instantly to them wandering around your fortress until they die of old age. In general, you just don't want to do it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 01:31:13 pm »

Well, they're SUPPOSED to be enemies.  But since you rarely start at war with anyone these days, they tend to show up as merchants.

I may have to take off building destroyer for now. Ultimately, though, I'd rather that friendly creatures with building-destroyer just didn't  destroy things.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 09:18:56 pm »

The friendly destroyer part is Bug 757.

BD=1 will go after wooden hatches, wooden doors, supports, statues, windows and archery targets only.  They can't destroy homes during world gen as (semi)megabeasts.  It doesn't impact the building seeking code.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 09:38:52 pm »

Any plans to add in a tag that would have the creature do building destroying only if it's in the way, rather then seek out every possible thing to destroy?
Come play Mafia with us!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 10:57:01 pm »

This might not be related, but I noticed that friendly destroyers tend to get bugged and start freaking out by running around in a certain circle repeatedly, forever.