Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crabs. Could use some improvement.  (Read 3258 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Crabs. Could use some improvement.
« on: August 09, 2008, 01:04:32 am »

Golgath asked to see these, and I like them so I figured other people would want to see them too.  I don't think the appearance numbers are working quite right, and there might be some other problems.  I made these a while ago (like 38b I think) but they should still work.  At any rate, take a look, tell me what you think, and feel free to add parts to your own worlds.  And yes, this basically gave me the idea.

First, they all use these body parts (tagged for size)-
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yes, that means ten limbs.  Hard to fight.  So, the crabs.

Ordinary crab-
Completely ordinary, fishable, eadible, vermin-type crab.  Mostly copied from turtle code.  Makes a nice additional source of shells.

Ghost crab-
Evil but harmless vermin crab that can be caught and tamed as a pet, because really, who wouldn't want one?

Spider crab-
Huge, harmless crabs.  Added for flavor, because they're just that cool.

Reaver crab-
Nasty scavengers the size of dogs, who eat anything they can grab, like coast-dwelling dwarves.  Pretty sure I copied most of the code from wolves, so they should appear in the same frequency.

Sojourner crab-
Gentle giants the size of cows that migrate far inland.  Can be domesticated, and if ever implimented, mounted and riden.  I wanted them to appear in groups and be somewhat rare.  I haven't tested them much, and don't remember what I copied the appearance numbers from.

Fire crab-
Crabs in name only, these vicious living boulders are one more thing for your smiths to bar the channels against.  Made from parts of magmaman and fire imp code, I wanted them to be rock hard and dangerous.  They work just fine.

Crabman!-
Crabman, 'cause where would a crab mod be without them.  Built out of snakeman code, and they should show up on coasts and in cave lakes/rivers.  They're actually bigger than dwarves, so watch out.

Dwarmin's Giant Cave Crab-
Huge and dangerous cave dwellers.  I modified them a bit to standardize with the rest of the list.  Also made them Semimegabeasts, like minotaurs, so you'll get quests to kill them.  Not sure what effect having a maxage will do to that.

And the Titan Crab-
Big enough to wrestle giants, and armed and armored enough to win, these crustacian colossii are the bane of all coastal settlements.  Not thoroughly tested - I wanted them to just be rare wildlife, but they showed up way too often (nearly always).  I made them into megabeasts, but I don't know if that means they'll show up far inland and in caves, or if the biome tags will prevent that.

EDIT: Modified them all with suggestions, and added Dwarmin's nasty GCCrabs.
EDIT2: Added crabmen, and put STOUT tags on all the smaller crabs, because otherwise it's just be silly.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 01:15:51 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Crabs. Could use some improvement.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 01:12:30 am »

0:5 is a pretty large range for megabeast populations. Also, as there aren't many civs and hunters heading out to the oceans in unmodded DF, ocean megabeasts and creatures have a larger survivor rate during world gen. Check the amount of sharks/aquatic wildlife compared to regular creatures in unmodded DF despite lower startout pop counts when you export worldgen info.

I will probably steal the titan crab and mod it to fit my mega-mega beasts for my mod to be released soon and rename it (Giant enemy crab) as a throwaway joke.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 02:27:41 am »

Great! Now I can engage in the sacred art of
CRAB BATTLE! AAARRRGHH!! CRAB BATTLE!

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 11:25:51 am »

Crabs shouldn't have bones. Non-vermin crabs shouldn't have the [HASSHELL] tag, it's covered by the [CHITIN] tag. Since shells don't work quite right for non-vermin creatures right now.

And spider crabs should still have meat. You'd be surprised how much meat something that spindly can have. In fact the wiki page you put there talks about the japanese eating spider crabs.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 11:34:22 am by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 11:38:24 am »

I think that crabs are nice survivalists.
May I include your crabs in my Fallout mod?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 01:22:59 pm »

May I include your crabs in my Fallout mod?
Go right ahead.  Glad to help!

I gave crabs bones precisely because non-vermin crabs done give shells (I didn't bother deleting the tag).  I figure, even if the term isn't right, that much crab has to be useful for something.  I made spider crabs meatless because I also made them size 5, which would be unfair.  Which is dumb, I know.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 02:54:43 pm »

You forgot giant cave crabs lol
Edit:Inserted spoiler tag to save space

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 03:08:32 pm »

I noticed you had [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD] in a couple of those.  I think that tag was only ever used as basic ethics, e.g. dwarves refuse to butcher goblins.  If you don't want things getting butchered period you might want to use [NOT_BUTCHERABLE].
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 03:10:12 pm by Footkerchief »

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 03:20:52 pm »

I don't think [PREFSTRING:(something)] should ever have anything to do with a creature's edibility or flavor. [PREFSTRING:(something)] is for when they like those creatures, not when they like to eat those creatures.

"I love my pet fish, he's so tasty."
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 03:23:31 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 08:06:59 pm »

I'm now envisioning my adventurers being pitted against monstrous crabs in coastal caves, and it'll be nice to have a new layer of lethality in the otherwise convenient magma sources.  Thanks for putting up the code, Aqizzar.
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 05:01:22 pm »

Giant cave crabs should be a real surprise when you breach an underground pool!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 05:06:38 pm »

Thanks for the cave crab Dwarmin, didn't even occur to me.  Very nice.

Has anyone tried using these?  I've generated a couple worlds, but my Titan Crabs never show up.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 05:15:31 pm »

I noticed you had [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD] in a couple of those.  I think that tag was only ever used as basic ethics, e.g. dwarves refuse to butcher goblins.  If you don't want things getting butchered period you might want to use [NOT_BUTCHERABLE].

The [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD] tag doesn't even exist anymore, having been replaced by ethics. Now you can have creatures that are not butchered at all with the [NOT_BUTCHERABLE] tag, or you can have butchering the creature up to ethics, nothing else.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 05:19:04 pm »

According to the wiki, the BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD tag means that the creature can only be butchered by hand - if it dies any other way it's rendered useless.  So they have to be captured, not hunted.  I'm pretty sure I didn't know that when I made these.  For some it kind of makes sense, but for others could be removed.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 05:21:18 pm »

According to the wiki, the BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD tag means that the creature can only be butchered by hand - if it dies any other way it's rendered useless.  So they have to be captured, not hunted.  I'm pretty sure I didn't know that when I made these.  For some it kind of makes sense, but for others could be removed.

The wiki is outdated, check the file changes log in the dwarf fortress folder.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: [1] 2