Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Select the best 3 of the following games, in your opinion. Order does not matter.

Dwarf Fortress
- 49 (26.3%)
Team Fortress
- 4 (2.2%)
Half Life
- 10 (5.4%)
Portal
- 8 (4.3%)
Fallout
- 6 (3.2%)
Civilazation & Alpha Centauri
- 7 (3.8%)
WH40k: DoW
- 0 (0%)
Age of Wonders
- 1 (0.5%)
Garrys Mod
- 2 (1.1%)
Master of Orion
- 1 (0.5%)
The Elder Scrolls (any)
- 11 (5.9%)
Angband
- 0 (0%)
Cave Story
- 4 (2.2%)
Grand Theft Auto
- 5 (2.7%)
Total Annihilation
- 6 (3.2%)
Unreal Tournyment
- 3 (1.6%)
*sigh*... Final -eugh- Fantasy
- 6 (3.2%)
X-com
- 11 (5.9%)
Bauldur's Gate
- 4 (2.2%)
Tribes
- 3 (1.6%)
Blizzard Strategy
- 3 (1.6%)
MMORPGs in general
- 3 (1.6%)
Sins of a Solar Empire
- 1 (0.5%)
Galactic Civilizations
- 3 (1.6%)
Mount and Blade
- 6 (3.2%)
Ultima
- 1 (0.5%)
Diablo
- 5 (2.7%)
MS Flight Simulator
- 2 (1.1%)
Sam and Max episodes
- 2 (1.1%)
Myst
- 0 (0%)
Age of Empires
- 2 (1.1%)
Worms
- 7 (3.8%)
Simcity
- 2 (1.1%)
Doom & related shooters
- 5 (2.7%)
Gothic
- 1 (0.5%)
Arx Fatalis
- 0 (0%)
Thief
- 1 (0.5%)
Majesty
- 1 (0.5%)
Collossal Cave/adventure
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Top Games Ever  (Read 4690 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Top Games Ever
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2008, 05:04:18 pm »

Whose?  Mine?  What honestly makes Halo better than any of the other dozens of shooters out there?
Shoes...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2008, 05:05:22 pm »

Whose?  Mine?  What honestly makes Halo better than any of the other dozens of shooters out there?

The fact that it was made for an marketed to stupid people?
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2008, 06:21:48 pm »

Well done.  I've been proven wrong, there is a difference.
Shoes...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2008, 07:50:48 pm »

The fact that it was made for an marketed to stupid people?

I thought what really made it different was that it marked the end of Bungie as a creative developer and the beginning of Microsoft's fight to ruin PC gaming.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2008, 08:33:39 pm »

Suprisingly, I think that Halo 2 is actually a good game.

I know, nail me to a wooden cross if you must, but its what I think!

What has made it bad however, is that it was over marketed, just like almost everything else thats good. If something original or good came out, like tekken for instance, the marketers would latch onto it like leaches and suck all the life out of it.

What happened to one hit wonders of gaming? Where are they now? Painkiller is a FANTASTIC game, a prime example of a one hit wonder, and is now forgotten. Why?

Edit: Just in case anyone got mad.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 08:35:17 pm by Zako »

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2008, 10:28:53 pm »

Halo 2 isn't terrible by a long shot.  It's pretty good.  But that isn't the point.  Many many people seem to think of it as the Second coming of Jesus Christ when in reality it's a pretty fun FPS that would doubtless have been a whole lot better if Bungie hadn't sold out to Microsoft.  Not to mention that we might have had a real Myth 3 and Oni could have actually been really good.

So here are my two main problems with Halo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjN6kEo8-Ss

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2275307299564994634&ei=36-fSL7WCKDAqwP_4pzeCQ&hl=en

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2008, 12:12:15 pm »

*GASP*  BLASPHEMY!  Neither of the System Shock games are anywhere in that poll!

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2008, 12:35:09 pm »

Halo 2 isn't terrible by a long shot.  It's pretty good.  But that isn't the point.  Many many people seem to think of it as the Second coming of Jesus Christ when in reality it's a pretty fun FPS that would doubtless have been a whole lot better if Bungie hadn't sold out to Microsoft...

/videoplay?docid=2275307299564994634&ei=36-fSL7WCKDAqwP_4pzeCQ&hl=en[/url]

Well, they've finished their contract with Microsoft now. They're doing their own stuff now, with like peter jackson and shit lol.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2008, 03:51:34 pm »

Halo the live action movie?  Great... ::)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2008, 06:04:52 pm »

Dang it I picked the three LAMEST ones and figured I'd be the only votes for them. Each of them had someone else vote for them once each also. So nevermind, I guess.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2008, 09:39:59 pm »

Darklands should be on this list.

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2008, 10:20:05 pm »

Dang it I picked the three LAMEST ones and figured I'd be the only votes for them. Each of them had someone else vote for them once each also. So nevermind, I guess.

I've got a good idea of what two of those would be, and a possible third, should I bother asking if I'm right?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2008, 09:18:54 am »

I think the only proper way to release games is the shockwave principle. You heat it up, then it burns, and quickly detonates.

Space Rangers was a great hit here in russia because it was good, and nobody even suspected that the game existed right until it hit the shelves. Not even Starforce repelled people from the game.

I think that a good game must be announced - "heated up" - only once it hits the first beta stage, around a month before the planned release. People will start discussing it, throwing ideas around, mostly thinking the game is still far off, especially if it's good. If all goes well, and the game as it is now conforms to the expectations of the people, around a week before it goes gold the second stage - "burning" - should kick in, screenshots, movies, and interviews must be shared, but the release date must still be shrouded in mystery. Hype will build up due to released details, and people will start waiting for the game. It'll be nigh impossible to contain the info if the game's true state anyways, so as soon as it's apparent that the "conspiracy" is revealed, the third stage - detonation - starts, the game is released worldwide and electronically, demos, reviews (pre-obtained, of course), and all supporting sites and all other bells and whistles are unleashed upon the public. It's important that the release is worldwide, and electronic, and that there's no intervening barriers like copy protection in the way. A good game that's suddenly released everywhere and has nothing stopping a player from enjoying it will hardy get a high piracy ratio, because there would be little incentive to get the game illegally, other than cost, but that one can't be mended it seems - people are always greedy and money-grubbing. :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2008, 11:09:30 am »

I think game releases should be handled exactly like orgasms. I won't provide details, but it suffices to say that game releases should happen as frequently as possible, with just enough time between to catch your breath.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2008, 09:35:55 pm »

You need stronghold and starwars kotor, duke nukem and several others but I think it would be useless to name them all.

Edit : duke nukem falls under doom and related? closest I can find to it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 09:38:40 pm by Immortal »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4