Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Select the best 3 of the following games, in your opinion. Order does not matter.

Dwarf Fortress
- 49 (26.3%)
Team Fortress
- 4 (2.2%)
Half Life
- 10 (5.4%)
Portal
- 8 (4.3%)
Fallout
- 6 (3.2%)
Civilazation & Alpha Centauri
- 7 (3.8%)
WH40k: DoW
- 0 (0%)
Age of Wonders
- 1 (0.5%)
Garrys Mod
- 2 (1.1%)
Master of Orion
- 1 (0.5%)
The Elder Scrolls (any)
- 11 (5.9%)
Angband
- 0 (0%)
Cave Story
- 4 (2.2%)
Grand Theft Auto
- 5 (2.7%)
Total Annihilation
- 6 (3.2%)
Unreal Tournyment
- 3 (1.6%)
*sigh*... Final -eugh- Fantasy
- 6 (3.2%)
X-com
- 11 (5.9%)
Bauldur's Gate
- 4 (2.2%)
Tribes
- 3 (1.6%)
Blizzard Strategy
- 3 (1.6%)
MMORPGs in general
- 3 (1.6%)
Sins of a Solar Empire
- 1 (0.5%)
Galactic Civilizations
- 3 (1.6%)
Mount and Blade
- 6 (3.2%)
Ultima
- 1 (0.5%)
Diablo
- 5 (2.7%)
MS Flight Simulator
- 2 (1.1%)
Sam and Max episodes
- 2 (1.1%)
Myst
- 0 (0%)
Age of Empires
- 2 (1.1%)
Worms
- 7 (3.8%)
Simcity
- 2 (1.1%)
Doom & related shooters
- 5 (2.7%)
Gothic
- 1 (0.5%)
Arx Fatalis
- 0 (0%)
Thief
- 1 (0.5%)
Majesty
- 1 (0.5%)
Collossal Cave/adventure
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Top Games Ever  (Read 4682 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Top Games Ever
« on: August 09, 2008, 12:29:31 am »

Inspired by the "Dwarf Fortress in top ten?" thread; I was curious how these games stack up as a whole. I devised this voting scheme to generate an aggregate rating from everybody.

OK, that's the main one. I wish I could give you more votes.

Oh, and it turns out I am the top non-toady-one thread poster on the forum; oddly, I'm not even on the list of comment posters...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 12:47:57 am by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Top Games Ever
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 12:36:27 am »

You'd best be adding about 1,000 more games to that list.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 12:45:40 am »

You'd best be adding about 1,000 more games to that list.

Yeah, by the time I was half way thrugh the main thread, I looked like your avatar...
"Arg! Fine! I'll add "worms" sheesh!" I said.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 01:03:57 am »

What do you have against Final Fantasy? Aside from it being annoyingly linear and having a downright boring combat system... Yeah, wait, I think I get it.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 01:11:33 am »

Final Fantasy should be in there for 6 alone, and because I count Chrono Trigger under that title - it was made by most of the same people afterall.

Still didn't vote for it though, because the series has never been as influential as Half-Life was, or as endlessly engrossing as Civilization\Alpha Centauri.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 02:42:12 am »

I voted for Final Fantasy. A great series with excellent storylines. FF12 didn't have as great a story but it more than made up for that with the innovative new battle system.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 02:42:30 am »

You're missing Gothic, Arx Fatalis, Stronghold, Severance, Thief, Tropico, and Majesty, just to name a small, small handful of good games.

Keep updating it and I'll continue to tell you what it's missing.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 02:45:28 am »

Sorry dude, but Final Fantasy sucks.

It goes on FOREVER! IT NEVER ENDS! And I HATE random encounters with a passion!

Portal is great because it like nothing else and its ingenious, Half-life is great because its the most involving FPS I have ever seen and DF? There is NOTHING that is to the scale of DF, with the possible exception of Civilisation, and I don't like that. DF is doing all this amazing stuff, and its only in an ALPHA! An alpha! If it is among the best games ever created while in an alpha, then think of it when its finsihed!

Unbelieveable...

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 02:47:56 am »

Gothic should be on there.

Fallout pretty much beats out everything else on that list, though.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 02:50:48 am »

I kind of like Final Fantasy, but only for the story. It kind of seems like they're designed around the concept that you have to put up with the poor gameplay and as a reward you get an amazing story. At least, that's how FF7 felt for me. None of the others could hold my attention long enough to get very far into them.

And I might have voted for Thief if it was on there. I've only played Deadly Shadows, so my oppinion may or may not be entirely accurate, but it gets kind of monotonous after a while. I can only stand hiding in shadows for so long before I just have to run out and make a futile attempt at fighting in Melee, and getting my ass kicked.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 02:57:00 am »

Ahhh, practice makes perfect as they say...

What you said there reminded me of my first bout of melee combat in Assassins Creed. Awesome and brutal stuff, difficult if you don't learn fast.

Just practice and you'll get there.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 03:01:01 am »

It goes on FOREVER! IT NEVER ENDS!

Isn't that pretty much the same as Dwarf fortress on a crap computer. Waiting 10 hours for a year to go by gets very boring as well. However it is worth the wait for those numerous amazing "HOLY SHIT!" moments that occur throughout the game. It is also about admiring the end product. Looking back over the days of effort you have put in to get this far and the self satisfaction you get knowing "Yeah I killed seproth", Or "Wow did I really build that".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 03:25:14 am »

And I might have voted for Thief if it was on there. I've only played Deadly Shadows, so my oppinion may or may not be entirely accurate, but it gets kind of monotonous after a while. I can only stand hiding in shadows for so long before I just have to run out and make a futile attempt at fighting in Melee, and getting my ass kicked.

Thief 2 The Metal Age was awesomesauce all over.  Find it if you can.  Though I will admit, you spend a lot of time standing around in shadows waiting for guards to walk past and such.  Besides, you're a thief, not a berzerker.  When you get board hiding in shadows, you chuck a flash bomb and knock everyone out.  Or just snipe them from afar, if you're not playing Expert like a real man.

Man that game ruled.  Nearly crapped myself so many times when I'd run around a corner and smack into a cannon-bot.  "I have found- I do not know.  Intruder!"  *BOOM*  1st City Bank and Trust was one of the best levels in any game ever.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 04:28:03 am »

This list is terribly incomplete.

What about Myth?  Deus Ex?  Planescape Torment?  Arcanum?  Xenogears?  Xenosaga?  Suikoden?  Ico?  Shadow of the Collosus?  Duke Nukem 3D?  Legacy of Kain?  Shin Megami Tensei?  Natural Selection?  Counterstrike?  Dungeons and Dragons?  Call of Cthulu?  Shadowrun?  Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, and all the World of Darkness stuff?  Paranoia?  RIFTS?

Etc....
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 04:32:20 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 06:50:23 am »

Thief 2 The Metal Age was awesomesauce all over.  Find it if you can.  Though I will admit, you spend a lot of time standing around in shadows waiting for guards to walk past and such.  Besides, you're a thief, not a berzerker.  When you get board hiding in shadows, you chuck a flash bomb and knock everyone out.  Or just snipe them from afar, if you're not playing Expert like a real man.

Man that game ruled.  Nearly crapped myself so many times when I'd run around a corner and smack into a cannon-bot.  "I have found- I do not know.  Intruder!"  *BOOM*  1st City Bank and Trust was one of the best levels in any game ever.

I LOVED THAT GAME! it was like on of the first proper first person stealth games i played. I was so freaked out by the cannon bots, but i loved chasing the little ones around with my blackjack smacking them until they fell over! :D Did you complete the game? cause i never fully finished it after i started getting freaked out with the zombies and that fucking gigantic steel submarine. Then there were those weirded out wookie-esk creatures living in the trees, wtf was that about? Also it had the best intro level ever, and the warehouse one! the gigantic spiders. man that was a great game, truly one of my favourite games ever.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4