Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Select the best 3 of the following games, in your opinion. Order does not matter.

Dwarf Fortress
- 49 (26.3%)
Team Fortress
- 4 (2.2%)
Half Life
- 10 (5.4%)
Portal
- 8 (4.3%)
Fallout
- 6 (3.2%)
Civilazation & Alpha Centauri
- 7 (3.8%)
WH40k: DoW
- 0 (0%)
Age of Wonders
- 1 (0.5%)
Garrys Mod
- 2 (1.1%)
Master of Orion
- 1 (0.5%)
The Elder Scrolls (any)
- 11 (5.9%)
Angband
- 0 (0%)
Cave Story
- 4 (2.2%)
Grand Theft Auto
- 5 (2.7%)
Total Annihilation
- 6 (3.2%)
Unreal Tournyment
- 3 (1.6%)
*sigh*... Final -eugh- Fantasy
- 6 (3.2%)
X-com
- 11 (5.9%)
Bauldur's Gate
- 4 (2.2%)
Tribes
- 3 (1.6%)
Blizzard Strategy
- 3 (1.6%)
MMORPGs in general
- 3 (1.6%)
Sins of a Solar Empire
- 1 (0.5%)
Galactic Civilizations
- 3 (1.6%)
Mount and Blade
- 6 (3.2%)
Ultima
- 1 (0.5%)
Diablo
- 5 (2.7%)
MS Flight Simulator
- 2 (1.1%)
Sam and Max episodes
- 2 (1.1%)
Myst
- 0 (0%)
Age of Empires
- 2 (1.1%)
Worms
- 7 (3.8%)
Simcity
- 2 (1.1%)
Doom & related shooters
- 5 (2.7%)
Gothic
- 1 (0.5%)
Arx Fatalis
- 0 (0%)
Thief
- 1 (0.5%)
Majesty
- 1 (0.5%)
Collossal Cave/adventure
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Top Games Ever  (Read 4679 times)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Top Games Ever
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 07:35:18 am »

I liked Shadow of the Colossus, every time I meet a gigantic boss in a game, I always want to climb all over it, attacking and dodging swatting hands. No other game gives you as much freedom against such foes, none.

Awesome stuff right there.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 08:45:42 am »

Add Starfox 64 to the list and I'll vote.

Also, Final Fantasy II and Final Fantasy VI are awesome.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 08:56:56 am »

This is making no sense, you make a poll like this on the "official" DF forum, not to mention that you left out lot of awesome old games.  ::)

Omath Erius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 10:14:58 am »

Oh. My. God.

I'm the only one that thinks Team Fortress 2 is atleast in the top three?

fhalkgsuehgvnl gherghlirhb

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 10:20:21 am »

Oh. My. God.

I'm the only one that thinks Team Fortress 2 is atleast in the top three?

Evidently, yes. I think HL or at least Half life 2 should come before TF2, its built on the steam engine... and well the steam engines just plain awesome.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2008, 12:17:48 pm »

CRAP. I need more votes!  :P

I didn't notice MYST there!

Also, add in the Monkey Island series.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2008, 12:42:53 pm »

I LOVED THAT GAME! it was like on of the first proper first person stealth games i played. I was so freaked out by the cannon bots, but i loved chasing the little ones around with my blackjack smacking them until they fell over! :D Did you complete the game? cause i never fully finished it after i started getting freaked out with the zombies and that fucking gigantic steel submarine. Then there were those weirded out wookie-esk creatures living in the trees, wtf was that about? Also it had the best intro level ever, and the warehouse one! the gigantic spiders. man that was a great game, truly one of my favourite games ever.
Yeah, if you can, you should definitely go back and finish it.  The Maw thing with the crazy gorrila dudes is hard, but after that, the last 3/4 levels are the some of the best.  Life of The Party was shrunk and simplified into the demo level, and seeing the whole thing is really satisfying.  Then comes the most nerve wracking level of the game, when you have to map out a mansion, find secret doors (which means they're not secret...), and the kicker, you can't knock out or alarm or be noticed by anyone.  At all.  Hard.  The last level you have run back and forth across a giant death factory.  Metal floors, cameras, and cannon-bots everywhere.  And the whole time, Karras is taunting you over the PA system.

Note to developers - Thief 2 did a really good job of building up a villain.  Karras' presense is felt throughout the whole game in writing and dialogue, heard in the little robots' voices, and scattered in all the atmosphere.  By the time you actually see him at the end of the game, you want so bad to break into his office and blackjack the smirk off his face.  Fulfilling ending.

Oh yeah, the lists.  It's abundantly clear that you put together the 20 or so good games you could personally remember with a few extra consessions.  As hard as it is for all of us to remember from time to time, there's a huge library of excellent games, every one impossible to quanitify as 'better' than any other.  You could make that list a 1000 names long, and others will be all the more conspicuous by their absence.  I mean, no Command and Conquer, or Warcraft?  The Sims?  Rollercoaster Tycoon?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 12:46:13 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2008, 02:11:09 pm »

Final Fantasy should be in there for 6 alone, and because I count Chrono Trigger under that title - it was made by most of the same people afterall.

Still didn't vote for it though, because the series has never been as influential as Half-Life was, or as endlessly engrossing as Civilization\Alpha Centauri.

Thanks, s'what I was thinking. I love Final Fantasy 6, and while I hate random encounters and linearity (with exceptions; see Cave Story), FF6 oozes of greatness. The whole psuedo-Victorian/steampunk timeline, the most awesome villain for his time (and in my opinion, one that was never surpassed by later installments) the fact that it becomes fully open-ended half way through... That's how you make an RPG. Also, one of Edgar's tools for use in combat is a chainsaw complete with a Jason hockey mask. I don't even need to go any further.

Despite this, it doesn't get any of my picks; while a great game, there are even better out there. I chose Dwarf Fortress for its massive scale, incredible body-part based combat, hilarious and unforced circumstances that occur, and the fact that you can decapitate people with a pair of pants. Plus, it isn't even done and it's still done enough to rival other projects, which speaks great things about its quality.

Then I chose Cave Story; while linear, it's the (I believe) Magnum Opus of the platformer/shooter genre. The storyline is great, the characters are lovable (Huzzah!) and the music is fantastic. Plus, the art, gameplay and music were all produced by one guy. That's remarkable.

*Sits down to ponder.* My third and final pick goes to Baldur's Gate. As Dwarf Fortress represents total freedom and Cave Story represents linearity done right, I feel Baldur's Gate meets both half way. It is at times linear, and at times open, and both have incredible benefit the other lacks. Also, it has a beserker with a pet hamster. Named Boo. If this isn't enough to make you want to try the game, nothing else I can say could convince you. Also, Lilarcor, but I won't elaborate for fear of spoilers. The beautiful pre-rendered, though static backgrounds have been lost in games lately. I really liked the style of them.

Edit: I'm saddened to see I'm the only one so far to have picked Cave Story. Though there are so many good games on the list, it's understandable.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 02:15:05 pm by Keiseth »

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2008, 03:38:31 pm »

I mean, no Command and Conquer, or Warcraft?

I think Warcraft and Starcraft are under 'Blizzard strategy'.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2008, 04:07:11 pm »

What about Mafia?  Blood?  The Witcher?  Mechwarrior?  IL2: Sturmovik?  Silent Hunter?  The Longest Jouney?  Aces of the Pacific/Aces over Europe?  Total War?  Space Empires?  FlatOut?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2008, 04:29:02 pm »

Halo: CE, viva pinata, RBS rouge spear? I think PTTG should maybe change this thread into a list all the good games, and then have a vote on it

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2008, 06:02:52 am »

Knight of Honor!

The game is good of course, like EU, but medieval!

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2008, 07:28:09 am »

I just remembered Burnout 3! Why is that not there!? Its the ULTIMATE racing game for me! I normaly hate races almost as much as final fantasy sucks, but this is the only exception. When I get into one of the high end sports cars, im suddenly a speed GOD!

Truely insane speed, yet im having a blast!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2008, 10:08:15 am »

Don't put Halo on the list.  The day a completely unspectacular shooter that's identical to pretty much every other shooter ever gets on the list is the day I die.
Shoes...

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2008, 05:00:09 pm »

Your end is near my friend...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4