Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reclaiming the Homeland  (Read 1454 times)

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reclaiming the Homeland
« on: August 09, 2008, 12:23:55 am »

8th Slate, 204

Those vile creatures finally attacked.  Two years after the brave heroes of Passagetrade went forth with vengeance in their eyes and hearts and cleared the lot of them out of one of their homes, they finally decide to try and return the favor.  Sprang up out of nowhere right at our front gate too.  Luckily, our fort's defenders were busy brushing up on their target practice at the gate (standard practice for the dwarves of the Metal of Fire).  Those animals never stood a chance. 

Irfotthor.  Newforest in the common tongue.  Ironic. 

Maybe we can give the wooden weapons of our attackers to the children as toys.  They'll need the practice...

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reclaiming the Homeland
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 12:36:06 am »

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 07:59:07 am »

(Ok, to give a little bit of the background of this whole thing, I genned a world that had one small dwarvern civilization down in the corner of the map.  Said civ was at war with the elves just outside their front door.  I started up an adventurer and ran off to kill the elves.  Then I started up another adventurer, after the first one died.  Then another.  And then, this story started being laid out in my head about how the dwarves, tired of the senseless attacks and deaths, finally decided to go on the offensive and destroy the elves once and for all.

There'll being several forts, at least one for each of the elven retreats, plus others in the mountains.  The idea is to have a pretty singular goal in mind for each of fort, and stop playing it once the goal has been achieved.  I think my current plan is to play Irfotthor until either it's completely overwhelmed by elves, or I find my interest fading.  Between fortressess, I'll do damage as an adventurer and recount their tales here.

All in all, this should be interesting!  Now, on with the show!)

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 10:41:01 am »

With the expanded map view, I decided to start the fortress fresh from the start.  Here's what the fortress looks like as of this moment: 

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-3318-newforest

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 11:03:53 am »

23rd Slate, 201

King Sazirkegeth,

Our arrival to the forest retreat of Waxedprophets happened without incident.  Apparently the elves are still reeling from the deft attack by your champion.  Congratulate Rith Udibnîles on her splendid handiwork!  Hopefully, it will be a while before the elves are able to mount a retaliation.

As was indicated before we left, the place is littered with the remains of the elves.  There should be enough salvageable goods amongst the trees to serve as payment for the goods I hope shall be arriving this coming fall.  This will allow us to concentrate purely on establishing a sound foundation for our defensive outpost. 

I shall endeavor to keep you informed of the goings on within the walls of Irfotthor.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 02:08:39 pm »

7th Timber, 201

Majesty,

I hope this letter finds you well.  Your outpost liaison, Ducim, was cordial and let it be known to us that any extra ammunition we can provide to the war cause would be handsomely repaid.  We shall do what we can to offer up the requested bolts, but please understand that my priority is to defending Irfotthor.

Where Ducim was cordial, the caravan leader you send our way was quite the opposite.  Demanding exorbitant prices for the barest essentials.  I shall hold on to the remaining goods which were recovered from this retreat until a further date.

Also, it might interest you to know that uncovered during our search of this place were two suits of steel chainmail.  I believe that I've discovered what happened to the two heroes you sent out.  We can finally put our minds to rest that Solon Portalnotches and Minkot Peakedtongs went out fighting like true champions.

Enclosed is a sketch of the preliminary wall that I've ordered constructed around our entrance:

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 03:26:39 pm »

13th Moonstone, 201 - The miners have made a gruesome discovery in the woods a short distance to the east.  It appears to be a crude cave carved into the side of a hill.  Bones, which I've been assured are human, were scattered around in the cave show and signs of being carved up with knives.  I've heard stories about the elves eating their enemies, but I never really believed them until today.

I shudder to think if this was the fate that befell poor Solon or Minkot.  The longears will pay dearly if their tongues have known the taste of dwarven flesh!

I've ordered the cave to be collapsed.  May it serve as burial enough for the poor souls who found their end there.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 05:10:20 pm »

13th Moonstone, 201 - The miners have made a gruesome discovery in the woods a short distance to the east.  It appears to be a crude cave carved into the side of a hill.  Bones, which I've been assured are human, were scattered around in the cave show and signs of being carved up with knives.  I've heard stories about the elves eating their enemies, but I never really believed them until today.

I shudder to think if this was the fate that befell poor Solon or Minkot.  The longears will pay dearly if their tongues have known the taste of dwarven flesh!

I've ordered the cave to be collapsed.  May it serve as burial enough for the poor souls who found their end there.

So what actually happened here? Sorry if i'm not supposed to post in this thread...
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 05:34:49 pm »

Hehe... No, posting is fine.  Encouraged even.

I'm just having some fun with the DFPaint program and using it to help with the storytelling.  It's a far cry better to do that than to carve up the landscape so I can stage the right kind of scene.  I foresee it being useful for depicting funerals, battles and other hard to capture events.

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 05:39:17 pm »

Can I suggest an In-Character Name for a badass millatary guy? If so:

Field Captian Thor Swordgrave.

OR

Fiel Captian Max Fightmaster ;D
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 06:05:02 pm »

Hehe... No, posting is fine.  Encouraged even.

I'm just having some fun with the DFPaint program and using it to help with the storytelling.  It's a far cry better to do that than to carve up the landscape so I can stage the right kind of scene.  I foresee it being useful for depicting funerals, battles and other hard to capture events.

Ah, i should have realized that. Good job.  ;)
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 09:37:17 am »

17th Malachite, 202 - Our settling of Irfotthor on the old site of Waxedprophets apparently caught the imagination of the dwarves back in the mountainhome.  Our numbers swelled to 39 over the past two seasons as dwarves poured in to join the war effort.

I took six of them aside and set them to training as defenders.  The others, I've set to various necessary tasks around the fortress.  Carpenters mostly, as I need a good number of folks working on building the outer defenses and we lack any building material other than wood.  I've tasked two with producing bolts and nothing but bolts.  Tedious work, but I foresee their developing skills as being indispensable in the coming months and years.

(Irfotthor as it stands currently in the year 202)

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 04:21:42 pm »

11th Sandstone, 202

Majesty,

I regret to inform you that the outpost liaison that I had been dealing with has been savagely mauled by a cougar.  He lost a leg, his right hand was broken, and I believe there was quite a bit of internal damage as he was having trouble breathing.  No doubt the beast was sent by our enemies.  Luckily, one of the guards from the caravan he arrived with made short work of the animal. 

Ducim appears to be quite delirious and has refused any and all aid from his brethren.  In fact, he's struck off on his own into the woods, determined to make his way back to the mountainhome on his own.  In his madness, we never had a chance to work out any of the details for next year's trade agreements.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 10:31:21 pm »

(Gonna have to go on hiatus for the time being, as I'm going to be at GenCon until the 17th.)