Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suddenly, a permanent 0 FPS on several versions.(False positive - Hardware)  (Read 579 times)

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile

I'm not entirely sure what happened here. It's likely not even something the code itself is doing. But it's killing my DF. And this is bad. I get a constant 0 FPS, the screen updates every few seconds, and it happens everywhere, including the menu, and on all recent available versions. Tests of non-bugfix priors is pending, but meantime, I'm getting the word out to try and figure out of anyone knows what it is.

(Edit - The system restart fixed it second time around... I think this is a hardware issue, so don't stress about it.)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 09:16:40 pm by Haven »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Suddenly, a permanent 0 FPS on several versions.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 09:17:11 pm »

If it's happening on your title screen, it might be something to do with video drivers.  Have you changed anything since you last had it playing properly?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Anjey aka PM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Problem with "Hardware acceleration" settings in your display advanced settings. Should be maximized.
he greatest programming project of all took six days; on the seventh day the programmer rested. We''ve been trying to debug the *&^%$#@ thing ever since. Moral: design before you implement.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

dwarf fort can cause overheating, mostly in laptops(like anything with decent graphics these days!)
well seriously, it will during world generation.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile

The measure of graphics power.
Can it run Crysis?

The new measure of processing power.
Can it run Dwarf Fortress?  With 1000 dwarves?
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile

I'm not entirely sure what happened here. It's likely not even something the code itself is doing. But it's killing my DF. And this is bad. I get a constant 0 FPS, the screen updates every few seconds, and it happens everywhere, including the menu, and on all recent available versions. Tests of non-bugfix priors is pending, but meantime, I'm getting the word out to try and figure out of anyone knows what it is.

(Edit - The system restart fixed it second time around... I think this is a hardware issue, so don't stress about it.)

Sounds like a hardware problem yeah, probably related to your processor, but its hard to tell this way. Check the temperature of your processor first of all with 100% processor load.