Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: DF invading other games  (Read 6837 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: DF invading other games
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2008, 04:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy2U:
<STRONG>

No, it's a slang. You choose your background.</STRONG>

God I hate modern slang.  It just makes me want to punch people.  Or at least sic Samuel L. Jackson on them. Calling the misuse of a word slang doesn't make it less stupid.

"OMG!  I rolled a new toon but it's totally gay!"

English mutha fucka!  Do you speak it!?

[ June 14, 2008: Message edited by: Ioric Kittencuddler ]

Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2008, 04:53:00 pm »

Specifications for Giant Spore Spider:

Legs: 8, spindly.
Eyes: 8, empty as the blackness of the chasm depths.
Underside: Covered in enough armor plating to give it maxed out health and sneaking.
Topside: Menacing spikes. What else?
Mouth: Mandibles to crush anything that gets in its way.

Picture 1
Picture 2

The background is weird and the textures stopped working right, so the eyes are barely visible, but trust me, there are eight of them. Unfortunately, due to the limitations of the Spore Creature Creator, they cannot be made soulless and will in fact express emotion, contrary to the true form of the GCS.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2008, 09:07:45 am »

You should have used the spider feet.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2008, 12:37:11 pm »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tommy2U:
<STRONG><P>No, it's a slang. You choose your background.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>God I hate modern slang.  It just makes me want to punch people.  Or at least sic Samuel L. Jackson on them. Calling the misuse of a word slang doesn't make it less stupid.<P>"OMG!  I rolled a new toon but it's totally gay!"<P>English mutha fucka!  Do you speak it!?<p>[ June 14, 2008: Message edited by: Ioric Kittencuddler ]

But I didn't want a jovial character!  I wanted a morose one.

Balor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2008, 01:29:31 pm »

Btw, given how hardcore DF is, it is only logical that MMOG of our choice should be EVE!
Talking about learning curve of EVE (and it applied to DF, too :D):

Btw, incidentally, I've subscribed just a day ago, after completing trial.
Things seem to have changed for the better lately - you start out pretty powerful, PVE is bountful if you are agent-running (kill - questing) and can easily bring you pretty good profits, all the while training your (player, not character, heh) skills.
Btw, if you take your time to train a few cruicial skills (like propulsion disruption and high-speed manuevering), you can be welcomed in any high-profile gang as a 'tackler' - fast frigate that is supposed to close on an enemy heavy ship, webify it (greatly slowing down movement), warp-scramble (so it will not warp away to safety), and just orbit around it. Using MWDs or afterburners, you can have have so fast orbit speed that it's guns will not be able to get a lock on (turrets get slower and slower the higher caliber they get), especially on your tiny ship. (Here is a tracking guide, btw: http://www.eve-online.com/guide/en/g61_5.asp Talking about realism and detail!)
Therefore, you'll not be able to do much damage (if any, cause you'll need energy drainer equipped to supply you with energy for afterburner/webber/scrambler), but will be invalueable to 'root' enemy ship in place while your teammates pick it apart with long-range weaponry... and you are pretty much safe, too - unless he also has teammates, but things get more and more complex from there :).
And btw, if you DO get shot down, usually a set of decent equipment that is required for that job is so comparatively cheap that you'll get refunded in a blink, provided you died fighting a good fight, not due to your own stupidity.
That's that I'm planning to do, eventially. There is a 'Noob fight club' corp that does all that... They usually hunt pirates in low-sec and 0.0 regions. It's Russian, though, so not sure if this knowledge will be of any use to you.
Anyway, PVP is what MMRPGs is all about. PVE is much better done in single-player RPGs, and besides - they don't have a monthly fee :)... but have a good story, characters, etc (provided it's a good RPG, not an other Diablo rip-off).
Sapienti Sat.

Domini0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2008, 06:21:32 pm »

You know, we have a decent group of people playing EVE currently, we should all get on and form a fleet,
though I'm not sure what we'd all do... besides pirating  ;D

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2008, 06:30:43 pm »

You should have used the spider feet.

I updated it later with the more arthropod-esque feet and a more metallic sheen with a cyan redolent of adamantine. http://pics.livejournal.com/alfador_fox/pic/00060gcd/g17 Like so.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2008, 10:55:53 pm »

The horror!  The HORROOOOOORRRRRR!!!!!!

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2008, 09:40:22 am »

Did I mention I figured out how to get the image files that can import creatures into other people's installs? No? Oh well.

http://pics.livejournal.com/alfador_fox/pic/00065751/g18

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2008, 11:34:59 am »

Did I mention I figured out how to get the image files that can import creatures into other people's installs? No? Oh well.

http://pics.livejournal.com/alfador_fox/pic/00065751/g18

I actually already made my own.  It's black and has two mouths(The two types farthest to the right on the second row), along with menacing spikes and armor plating all over the bottom.

Emerald Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2008, 12:19:55 pm »

I've been playing Eve for a year and a half, and I just wanted to second everything Robke said in his post*.  There are a lot of misconceptions about Eve only being for hardcore players or requiring a 40 hour/week commitment and I'd hate to see people not even try the game because they read them.  I probably play about 4-10 hours a week, sometimes I go a few weeks without playing at all.  This schedule has not stopped me from being part of a spaceholding alliance that is over 4 years old, participating in large fleet fights and small gang battles, sharing roleplaying stories with people, running a small 500 million ISK trading empire, and generally enjoying all Eve has to offer.

For those who don't like the idea of loss in an MMO, what you have to keep in mind is that in Eve, you are not your ship.  You can have any number of ships, and the cheaper (but still very useful) ones can be replaced with either a few minutes of killing NPCs or by drawing on a day's worth of passive income.  You choose what you want to risk every time you undock, and the possibility of real loss gives Eve combat a thrill that other MMO's lack.

As far as catering to griefers, it's true that piracy pays in Eve, as does attacking defenseless and outnumbered targets.  The thing is, that since loss matters, you can choose to be a good guy in eve and it actually makes a difference.  You can band together with friends and go kill the pirates, repeatedly, causing them real losses.  Eventually they may leave and not come back.  Eve allows your roleplay to have consequences and meaning in a way that makes other MMO's feel staged and fake.

I also wanted to mention that the Dwarf Fortress thread on the Eve forum (not the official one, the other one) is up to 79 pages and they are even running their own succession game.

*With one correction: you can stay cloaked for a full minute after jumping through a stargate, so generally you will not be killed before you load unless it is a large 500+ player fleet fight.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2008, 12:48:11 pm »

Here's my version, made with the demo so it's not quite the way i wanted it to be.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2008, 01:40:22 pm »

made with the demo so it's not quite the way i wanted it to be.

The same is true of most everything I make till the full version's box arrives. Yours still looks awesome. As does http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=srch-dwarf%3Asast-500000255694

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2008, 01:49:06 pm »

What I don't get is how the image import actually functions.  Nearest I can figure, they hide some info in the png somewhere, but that's still neat.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6