Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Not that I care much, but...  (Read 2138 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Not that I care much, but...
« on: August 08, 2008, 08:15:27 am »

Rockstar and co have announced that GTA 4 will, after all, be released on PCs, this november even. BIG surprise. :) Pro-PC comments aside, a question to anyone who played the game - is it any good? Or, more precisly, is it THAT good, that you could possibly think of getting a console just for it?
Because I don't understand that, no single game ever would make me buy a console, not unless if it was DF 2.0 released on the Wii.

My personal opinion about the game (I did play it, though briefly) - "Yay, another GTA". I wouldn't care if it wasn't released on the PC, but being an "ardent worshipper", I can say that I won't buy the licensed version of it, simply because they (Rockstar) treat the PC so.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Not that I care much, but...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 10:01:04 am »

GTA...game for little kids. I dont care too much about it.  ;D

Vugor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 11:21:55 am »

indeed.......it sucks how some people treat PC versions of games

i might 'try it out'

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 12:18:40 pm »

I've begun to enjoy GTA games when they became 3D and took a certain movie aspect to them. Not that I don't enjoy mugging and killing people at random, but the cinematic is always a good feature of GTA. San Andreas had some great voice actors. I mean, Samuel L. Fucking Jackson, Ice T as Madd Dogg (hilarious btw), and Burt Reynolds in Vice City.

Not that they're good actors or good voice actors, but their voices did fit the characters nicely.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 01:19:44 pm »

The most I like in the latests GTAs is the utter freedom of the character. Not the freedom to go on murderous rampages (though if you're driving a crop harvester in a park...) but the freedom to pretty much do anything you dare to do. Some of it is mission-based, but some is just "unhinged" - like stealing the jumpjet from the aircraft carrier in San Andreas and getting away with it. Or take a cropduster and harrass the military base, dodging missiles. Fun times...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 05:08:24 pm »

The question is, is there a point to release this game on PC? The cracked version will be out before the official game, since the game is very popular. The company surely wont make too much money from this title.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 05:27:19 pm »

The game is GOOD for what it is. A sandbox world good for being violent and having physics.

If they bring the online "cops vs robbers" gameplay to PC, it will be worth it. Trust me.

I have so many legendary stories playing those with friends. Basically a group of cops try and stop a group of robbers from completing their objective in the city. This leads to crazy gunbattles involving running down people with semi-trucks, NPCs running for cover, attack helicopters, and lots of carjacking and carchases with shit going to shit and shit flying everywhere while shit blows up.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 06:25:56 pm »

The game is GOOD for what it is. A sandbox world good for being violent and having physics.

If they bring the online "cops vs robbers" gameplay to PC, it will be worth it. Trust me.

I have so many legendary stories playing those with friends. Basically a group of cops try and stop a group of robbers from completing their objective in the city. This leads to crazy gunbattles involving running down people with semi-trucks, NPCs running for cover, attack helicopters, and lots of carjacking and carchases with shit going to shit and shit flying everywhere while shit blows up.

Sounds shit;D
Okay as a more serious note...these mindless retarded games can be fun also, however I dont really enjoy these anymore. I was playing with these kind of games when I was very young, but as you age....its not fun for me at least.  :D [I am 19y old btw.]

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 07:40:25 pm »

I really don't care about GTAs main feature(killKillKILL),but rather I like to drive through the environments.Due to this I won't be buying GTA4,because that is old liberty city all over again,and I know that one like the back of my hand.(though more so vice city)

Yes that's it,I only play GTA to drive.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 09:02:19 pm »

The question is, is there a point to release this game on PC? The cracked version will be out before the official game, since the game is very popular. The company surely wont make too much money from this title.
Warez != Loss of sales.

It will be a hit in sales as usual.

The only trend I don't like is the one most developers are taking, making games for consoles then porting them. Meh, I miss the good old shareware days.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 11:09:22 pm »

Liberty City has been completely redesigned in GTA4 to be allot more like New York City.

There are no planes in GTA 4.  Only helicopters.

The game will be using Games For Windows LIVE.  For those fortunate enough no to be familiar with it.  It's exactly like XBox LIVE, only it's on Windows.  You have no mouse control and navigate everything with the arrow keys, and the A and B keys.  Yes, you actually have to use the A key and the B key like the buttons on the X-Box controller.

I've heard some complaints that it's too serious and doesn't feel like a GTA story.  I've also read it's kind of buggy.  It is still a GTA game though, and that counts for allot.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 09:05:12 am »

Warez != Loss of sales.

It will be a hit in sales as usual.

The only trend I don't like is the one most developers are taking, making games for consoles then porting them. Meh, I miss the good old shareware days.

I think that Stardock's method is just perfect, they only  sell their games online. You need to have an active account + you must buy a copy of the game, or else you wont be able to download patches for example.
FYI Hinterlands will be also distributed online only AFAIK.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 09:10:10 am by Tormy »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 03:11:07 pm »

Liberty City has been completely redesigned in GTA4 to be allot more like New York City.

There are no planes in GTA 4.  Only helicopters.

The game will be using Games For Windows LIVE.  For those fortunate enough no to be familiar with it.  It's exactly like XBox LIVE, only it's on Windows.  You have no mouse control and navigate everything with the arrow keys, and the A and B keys.  Yes, you actually have to use the A key and the B key like the buttons on the X-Box controller.

I've heard some complaints that it's too serious and doesn't feel like a GTA story.  I've also read it's kind of buggy.  It is still a GTA game though, and that counts for allot.

The A/B thing only goes for the menus, you can use the mouse and several keys work as A or B. At least that how it was in Lost Planet.

I think that Stardock's method is just perfect, they only  sell their games online. You need to have an active account + you must buy a copy of the game, or else you wont be able to download patches for example.
FYI Hinterlands will be also distributed online only AFAIK.

Only online isn't as good as you think, but I don't mind a single activation and account for patches. Continuous online checking is bad, ie, being online to play a single player game. That's moronic. It's the kind of thing that would make me only play warez even if the game was actually good.

I almost had that moment with Spore and almost gave up on my pre-order, but people whined so much on the announcement day they backed away from it.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 03:53:50 am »

Lets hope they make it easily modifiable. I want to fly around in an x-wing starfighter like I could in Vice City  :P. What I don't like about GTA 4 currently is that they took all of the customization out of the game. My favorite part of San Andreas was taken out when they removed all of the skills and what-not. If that can be modded into GTA 4 then I will definitely buy it for PC.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 03:23:07 pm »

Don't count on it.  After Hot Coffee Rockstar released a patch that basically made modding San Andreas impossible, and it was included by default in their re-release of the game to get an M rating again.  The patch doesn't seem to do anything else either since I had the bugs it claims to fix when I bought the second edition after passing up on the PC version initially since I already had it on PS2.

There are apparently no planes in GTA4 either so I don't think an X-Wing is possible unless it's just a new model for a helicopter.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!