Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: multiple hearts?  (Read 1362 times)

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
multiple hearts?
« on: August 07, 2008, 12:17:35 pm »

will a creature function properly with multiple hearts?

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
Re: multiple hearts?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 02:18:24 pm »

Yes.  If they're in the same body part, they're all likely to get pierced at once by bolts and such, and I think that getting one pierced is still a mortal wound, even though you still have spares.  The creature will survive just fine, though, as long as they're intact.

I have a civ with three hearts; they work fine.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 07:31:03 am »

Interesting thought! You would have to make a new body type for first second and thrird hearts etc. You could put one [CON:LOWERBODY] so that they didnt get peirced at the same time, but its not that much of a problem, since both lungs are rarely peirced.

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 11:57:01 pm »

This game has a lot of "Kennedy arrows" that pierce seemingly distant parts of the body at the same time, from weird angles.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 12:13:19 am »

This game has a lot of "Kennedy arrows" that pierce seemingly distant parts of the body at the same time, from weird angles.

The leading excuse reasoning is that the projectile ricochet around and/or fragment themselves/bones.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 01:38:36 am »

A nice reasoning: the arrow ricochetted around in the head and pierced two eyes, two ears, a nose, a brain and poked out a throat. It happend to me yesterday.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 07:13:24 pm »

The leading excuse reasoning is that the projectile ricochet around and/or fragment themselves/bones.

I actually discussed this with my brother, an experienced hunter, who told me this is by no means impossible, if unusual. He mentioned once shooting a moose once, and finding it with five - count 'em, FIVE - large exit wounds from bullet splinters. They never found an entry wounds, though, so presumably one piece tore out the same way the bullet first entered.

Doesn't necessarily mean old JFK wasn't shot at by more than one guy, but at least the "magic bullet" thing isn't absolute proof.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.