Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making sand?  (Read 1619 times)

Tubi2b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making sand?
« on: August 07, 2008, 06:53:44 am »

I did a search but found nothing... too many posts with '-----sand' and 'make'. Or maybe I just suck at searching.

Anyway, is there anyway to make sand? Im looking for any way no matter how complicated. I just pumped lava down a mountain and found nothing =/. I did that because I remember reading that fire causes sand. Maybe if I encase lava around a tree until it catches fire then let it flow down the mountain? Im just trying to make glass for spectators of my arena. I had wall grates but off-duty marksdwarves shot the gladiators before they got anywhere.

Naturally any glass-substitute would be just as useful...

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
Re: Making sand?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 08:44:12 am »

If you don't have sand (if it didn't say you have sand on the embark screen.  You won't get sand.  Ever.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 08:46:19 am »

If you have enough gems, you could make windows out of those.  It's three gems for a single window however, so you'd need quite a bit for a proper arena.
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 08:47:25 am »

If you're desperate for sand, try looking for another soil layer like loam or clay and put this tag in the raws:

Code: [Select]
[SOIL_SAND]
You should then be able to collect sand from there.

That's the only way if you don't have sand on your map, unfortunately.

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 03:19:37 pm »

There was another thread involving making sand and dragons.  There may be something with the trample settings on dragons and other large creatures that sometimes allows them to make sand, occassionally.  Not as easy as doing the mods, but there is something cool about building up a captive population of dragons for the purpose of trampling on stuff.

Charrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 05:25:18 pm »

I don't know why, but I am working on a glacier fortress that has absolutely no soil or sand on the whole map, but several sand squares have appeared around my trade depot and seem to continue to appear. They might show up most often when I am fiddling around with the layout of the area, adding/removing constructions and stuff, but I have never actually seen them appear.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 07:03:40 pm »

When you remove a construction, you get a Furrowed ____ tile, where the blank space is the soil type beneath the one you're on.
It's worth noting this furrowed tile looks exactly the same as sand but is not sand.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Tubi2b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 08:34:42 pm »

K thx. I suppose im stuck with gems. Ive got a ton of silt walls and sandy clay walls... shame. My arena section isnt very large so i can prolly make it with like 15gems. Ive got a bunch layin around, starting my throne room tho.

ccc

• Bay Watcher
  • Ants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 09:21:27 pm »

When you remove a construction, you get a Furrowed ____ tile, where the blank space is the soil type beneath the one you're on.
It's worth noting this furrowed tile looks exactly the same as sand but is not sand.
Not true on a glacier map at the lowest level of ice - ice walls and stone floor - when you remove a construction there appears a sand tile that you can fill sandbags from.

Charrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 02:21:06 am »

Thats exactly right, its in a natural area with ice walls and obsidian floors. Its real sand that I have been using to collect sand and make glass. You can see it here: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2937-abbeytunneled

Maybe if your map has some exposed rock at the surface, you could add and the remove some walls and see if that leaves behind any sand?

Blucher

• Bay Watcher
  • Had a fine beer lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 03:45:10 am »

I made a tower cap farm chamber and had one muddied tile of granite (I think it was granite) just inside the door become sand.  Somehow.  I was pretty happy as my map had no sand, but lots of magma.  It didn't last long though.  A shrub grew on it and it became muddy rock again.

At first I thought it came about because of the heavy foot traffic on that tile (the tile was next to the only entrance and it turned sandy after my horde of dwarves cleared out all of the rock).  But I think it was probably just a minor bug.

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 12:10:00 pm »

When a tower cap grows it removes whatever is in the square, and makes it into 'soil', it looks like.  The question is, though, is it random or is it always sand?  Seems to be an exploit though, unless your justification is that your mushroom trees break up the rock into sand or some such thing.
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.