Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Ushilgor Zarut - A Tale of Love and Ice  (Read 6477 times)

Archi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ushilgor Zarut, a Tale of Love and Ice
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 02:25:42 pm »

Entry 8.

We're all having some R&R right now.
Another interesting day. I don't update this thing nearly often enough..
Nearly a full year has passed since we first arrived here... So much has happened!
Things are really starting to get more eventful, and my duties are starting to shift more towards administration.
I also get more free time now, so maybe this thing can actually start to become a proper journal and not just details of the events leading to my death.

I talked to Bomrek, but before I could open my mouth to tell him off, he launched into a tale about "the Skeletal Poet Bear of the North."
Apparently, there lives(?) a friendly skeletal polar bear named Avanilash that wanders the frozen wastelands, composing poetry and reciting it to travellers in exchange for their company.
Bomrek seems to think that the bear that attacked us was in fact this Avanilash.
When I asked him why the bear would come here, kill the elves and then leave without harming us, he just winked at me and said that the poet bear wants equality for all.

Bloody nutcase dwarf.

Also, great news!.. I think.

Everyone rushed inside while we were digging.. I thought it was some kind of party that I hadn't been informed about..

I came in last and walked straight into a wedding feast!

I asked Anticheese whose wedding it was, he said "Shoudai and Faylone."

Understandably I thought I had misheard him. I mean, I knew those two were good friends, but..
I asked him to repeat himself and he said it again, clear as day.
Shoudai and Faylone.
He said it with a longing look, hoping for my approval. I was stunned.
Suddenly everything made sense!
I gave Anticheese a warm smile and said something along the lines of "good for them" or "about time" and quickly went to congratulate the pair. Being around Anticheese was making me feel nervous...

The feast is over now, and we should be back to work within the hour..
I think I need to lay down a bit longer though.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 02:27:16 pm by Archi »

knowbuddyuno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 12:52:44 pm »

Bondun Dukwoy would like a spot in this winter wonderland. Smith or Craftsdwarf would be fine.

Archi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2008, 04:45:41 am »

Entry 9.

As I was just finishing that last entry, a large group of dwarves arrived.
More exiles, several of them very.. Distressed at the state of the fortress.
We haven't had time to clean up the elf gore yet.

Ravus, sensing that I needed a break, handled the newcomers for me, although while passing through he pointed out four noteworthy dwarves.

A hunter. Although not useful for hunting for obvious reasons, he'll be helpful as a crossbowdwarf in general.

Another miner! He should make things easier.

A craftsdwarf. Hopefully he's good with ice.

Another crossbowdwarf, hopefully with these fellows we'll be prepared for an attack.

This last one caught my eye especially.

It was Dasleah, my childhood friend! I rushed over to greet him and enquire as to why he was out in this hellish place. Seems that he got sent here for protesting against sending so many dwarves here.
Wretched king.

There's also one new dwarf who's acting very strangely. I don't think the trip treated her very well.
She keeps asking if we "have any workshops we missed".
I hope she doesn't turn out to be as odd as Bomrek.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 10:02:10 am »

I love where this is going, your writing skills are awesome!
I'm hoping to see more,

~Pie

Archi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 01:33:11 pm »

Sorry for taking so long. I've been having some internet trouble.
Thanks for your kind words, ILikePie.  :D

Entry 10.

I've thrown myself back into work and it is glorious!
It turns out that the original design for the moat wasn't feasible, so we're doing it deeper and wider to stop the moat from clogging itself with obsidian and ice.
If Shoudai had just followed my initial design sketch from the start then we wouldn't have this problem!

That odd new dwarf found our spare forge and immediately grabbed a few bars of steel before barricading herself inside..
Nobody really wants to deal with it and we don't actually need that forge, so she can stay there as long as she wants.

Shoudai has been acting strangely too. I've seen him staring off into space a fair bit and he keeps asking me what we're going to do to save the history of this outpost in the event of our deaths.
I tell him that we should simply all keep journals like I have been, but he just sighs and walks away every time.

Am I the only normal dwarf around here?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 10:01:56 pm by Archi »

Archi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ushilgor Zarut, A Tale of Love And Ice
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 10:03:11 pm »

I'm considering switching from Mayday's graphical pack thing to the normal ASCII interface.
I'm fine using either of them, I just use this pack because my little brother likes to watch sometimes.

Thoughts?

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 11:25:39 pm »

I demand to be ressurected as an undead dwarf possesed by the spirits of the north!!!....er...if that's okay with you..

knowbuddyuno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 12:21:13 pm »

I like Mayday's graphics pack fine. It's what I used when I first started playing (I use dystopian rhetoric and Moons tileset now), so I actually prefer it. It's not a big deal, though.

Edit: I'm enjoying your story quite a bit, as well. I check this thread pretty compulsively between classes to see whether Bondun has gotten possessed, demanded shells, glass, silk thread, and cloth, and then gone into a berserk rage only to be eaten by Glacies' reanimated corpse.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 12:23:23 pm by knowbuddyuno »

Anticheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2008, 04:45:23 pm »

I don't mind either, really. It's your choice...
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Archi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 07:01:40 pm »

I'll keep it as Mayday's, then.
I don't think I can really do the reanimated zombie Glacies thing (as much as I want to), if only because doing so would result in breaking the justice system entirely.

Archi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 04:40:35 am »

Entry 11.

I came in from digging today to find that the odd dwarf has taken her barricades back down and is now proudly showing off what she has crafted.
It's a steel greave, all craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of steel and is perfectly balanced and.
It's the most amazing piece of armor I've ever seen!
She has named it "Dalzatzat", which is "Matchedstabbed" in the old tongue.
I asked her how she made it, seeing as she didn't have access to any source of heat while she was in there.
She said that she did it with her bare hands!

Truely a legendary dwarf.

As soon as Shoudai saw it, he ran off muttering to himsef.
I followed him and it seems that he has locked himself in the masonry workshop.

He refuses to respond to us, and won't open the door for food or water.

Still, I can't let my concern stop my work. We need this project finished!

We have a really bad shortage of alcohol, and I can feel myself growing more sluggish as time goes on.
The merchants are due soon, hopefully they have some with them.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 05:04:18 am »

Nice story, its gonna be epic IF you survive. (I've always wanted to say that)
Are the ruins of the old fort there yours or did they happen in world-gen?

Archi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 05:30:41 am »

The ruins are mine. It was sort of a "Hahah, this can't possibly work" thing, the whole fortress was a mess because of me trying to melt out farms before I really understood how melting ice out worked.
I lost half of the seven to water freezing on them underground and the other half to a mad axeman who I later killed in adventurer mode with a carpenter's arm and a chunk of my own torso.

Archi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2008, 04:12:32 am »

The Journal of Likot Likotdetes, merchant and diplomat

11th of Limestone.

We've decided to cut through the frozen wastelands again, despite the danger.
Our guards are well prepared to fight off any skeletal creatures we may encounter, and we might even find something worth salvaging at that ice "outpost" that we were told to trade with last year.

Honestly, I can't even understand why they would come here. Were they just suicidal?

I never did like that Arc Umomzon anyway, they always picked him over me to deal with the high profile diplomacy back at the mountain homes.

He didn't even recognise me last year.
It'll be a pleasure to find his corpse.

I can see smoke on the horizon, we'll investigate shortly.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 04:14:24 am by Archi »

Archi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2008, 01:46:51 pm »

12th of Limestone.

My god, they're still alive! And there's more of them!
Not only that, but since he's the leader, I had to trade directly with Arc or the boss would've strung me up by the beard.

I can't believe those bastards are surviving. There isn't even any food around. What are they eating, polar bear bones?

They even had the nerve to ask if we'd give them the leftover booze from our trade run for free! We eventually managed to get a very nice helmet out of them, although I ended up having to literally pry it out of their grip.
I suppose now that we know they're alive, we'll have to come by every year from now on.. I suppose that isn't so bad, considering that it's quicker to go this way, but there's something damned unnatural going on here to be sure.

Male dwarves shouldn't be doing that. The king will hear about this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4