Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HFS Discussion/Questions (spoilers)  (Read 1566 times)

Topace3k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
HFS Discussion/Questions (spoilers)
« on: August 06, 2008, 06:23:41 pm »

Don't read the following if you're a newbie and don't want the endgame spoiled for you.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks, and feel free to bring up your experiences in adamantine mining.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HFS Discussion/Questions (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 06:55:45 pm »

No need for spoiler tags if it's in the the title, I think.

That sounds typical.  I had like 4 squares of magma and tons of adamantine my first time.

The creatures do die on their own (meaning the elfs/dwarves/humans, but not the demons).

If you are still having fps issues with it and are lacking an uber-military, might I recommend a massive cave-in on top of the chamber? (just make sure flying demons can't get out afterwards.)

In my case, I had a chamber full of tentacle demons, and ended up killing most of them in the cave-in.  The remained could be isolated in individual pockets by my 3 elite military and 50-or-so war dogs.

khanjackalmoreau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 08:44:38 pm »

I managed to clear out the pits at my current fortress for the first time ever.

It was a pit of tentacle demons, and I knew I was getting close as the adamantine veins were getting closer and thicker.  So I built an "encounter room" with fortifications and got 5 of my champion legendary hammer/marksdwarves ready to accept the demonic charge.

On a related note, I had dug a zig-zag channel in front of the fortifications so the demons would take longer to get to the wardwarves.

When I breached the pit, imagine my surprise when a blood tide of crazy peasants came flying out!  However, my zig-zag channel served as a pit-trap for all those crazy people, and so they all ended up in a tiny little area.  The tentacle demons though were invisible until they reached my first Dwarf, where a wall of steel arrows began an epic and terrible slaughter among the tentacle demons.

Final score?  35 dead tentacle demons, not a single injury among the wardwarves.  And fun extra names for the dwarves.

After a while, the crazy people died, and I had a vast and epic number of bones to train more marksdwarves.  And demon skulls make valuable totems to trade.

When it was all said and done, the pits were clear, I was able to mine every last bit of adamantine, and my FPS went back up to almost normal!

A note, how do I get rid of all that (filth) and (unknown substance).  It appears to be a liquid, but nobody will dump it.  I have buckets, but no go.

CrazyEyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 08:45:49 pm »

Two or three z-levels of rubble nuked into the pit via a strategic cave-in should solve your problems.  Just make sure you're bombing the entire pit so nothing survives, and be ready to deal with any that do.
I'm glad all the DF players are not living in one district. It'd be the most dangerous district for the whole world.
Actually, it'd be the most dangerous district in hundreds of thousands of worlds, starting with 'Xah Rabin' The Dimension of Omen. 

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 08:58:12 pm »

Actually just taking out the stairways in the pits is helpful by itself.

That seems to separate the demons into different groups, and makes them more manageable.

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 09:02:20 pm »

Two or three z-levels of rubble nuked into the pit via a strategic cave-in should solve your problems.  Just make sure you're bombing the entire pit so nothing survives, and be ready to deal with any that do.

Cave-ins are no fun. Flooding/magma flooding is fine, because it doesn't completely eliminate the problem.

CrazyEyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 09:50:09 pm »

Cave-ins might not seem like fun because they're the easy way out, but if you think about what's actually happening it's pretty awesome.

Dwarven miners accidentally open a pit filled with unspeakable horrors from hell and beyond.  In a panic, they wall off the mines, a few brave souls sacrificing themselves against the demons to buy the masons time to build.  The threat is contained for now, but the dwarves don't have the military might to bring down a cavern full of demons, and that wall can't hold forever...

So what do they do?  They use the earth itself as a weapon, clearing out furniture, stockpiles and workshops across several floors, while the best miners the fortress has to offer put their own lives at risk shaping the stone above the demons' pit into a massive pile driver.  Finally, when the makeshift weapon is shaped and all possible entrances to the rest of the fort are sealed, the dwarves pull the hastily-assembled lever, praying that their mechanics rigged everything correctly.

They did.  There is a low rumble as the supports break one by one, then a mighty crash as the thousands and thousands of tons of stone batter their way into the feared chamber.  The whole mountain shakes, and if one listens closely one can hear the screams of dying horrors...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 09:54:59 pm by CrazyEyes »
I'm glad all the DF players are not living in one district. It'd be the most dangerous district for the whole world.
Actually, it'd be the most dangerous district in hundreds of thousands of worlds, starting with 'Xah Rabin' The Dimension of Omen. 

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 11:44:41 pm »

It really is the dwarven way to do things.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 11:48:11 am »

Quote from: Urist
If we have any mountains left to drop on it, we will drop mountains on it.
-Urist
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Ghost of a Flea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 07:10:53 pm »

I managed to accidentally break into the pits today while digging out tombs for my founding seven dwarves, and some twenty spirits of fire flew up my main staircase where the breach was and murdered everything. I think the dwarves had brought down two spirits in return for six civilians and about thirty war dogs (of which three were named) before the sheer awesomeness of the circumstances caused DF to lock up and I had to use Task Manager to end it.

Does it count as savescumming if it was totally unintentional?

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 04:35:40 am »

I wanted to see what the demons were like but I didn't want to lose my fortress so I made a copy and released the demons. A single demon was brought down by a hunter before the tide of demons overcame him.
every other dwarf and animal in my fortress was killed.
the last one at the far end of a panic room I'd built which was at the end of a series of about 20 locked doors.

CrazyEyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 09:57:24 pm »

I wanted to see what the demons were like but I didn't want to lose my fortress so I made a copy and released the demons. A single demon was brought down by a hunter before the tide of demons overcame him.
every other dwarf and animal in my fortress was killed.
the last one at the far end of a panic room I'd built which was at the end of a series of about 20 locked doors.

Even that many doors won't save him for very long.  And it's not like he can leave, so he'll starve eventually.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 09:59:19 pm »

I think he was killed.  Hobo said every living thing is.

What kind of demons were they hobo?  Frog, tentacle, or spirits of fire?

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 01:42:12 am »

You fool. You get the twenty locked doors, three floodgates, a drawbridge, and cause a cave-in in a crucial part of a wall, causing rock to seal him in. I'm pretty sure that demons can't go through rock wall. The other stuff is just to slow him down while Urist pulls all the levers. If you plan it right then he can live the rest of his live down there.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 02:35:01 pm »

You fool. You get the twenty locked doors, three floodgates, a drawbridge, and cause a cave-in in a crucial part of a wall, causing rock to seal him in. I'm pretty sure that demons can't go through rock wall. The other stuff is just to slow him down while Urist pulls all the levers. If you plan it right then he can live the rest of his live down there.

And if you don't plan it right... he can live the rest of his life down there anyway! ;D
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.