Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 3D Star Wars  (Read 4040 times)

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
3D Star Wars
« on: August 05, 2008, 05:21:10 pm »

I don't know if anyone has seen the previews (or indeed the movie... Australia tends to be behind on these things) for LucasFilms' newest addition to the saga, Clone Wars. Apparently it's fully 3D. Anyway, I just wanted to vent a few problems with it, and here seemed like an interesting place to do it.

Firstly, it's been done before!!!!! I've watched Genndy Tartakovsky's version on Cartoon Network so many times I actually almost got tired of it.

Second, not only have I not seen a single mention of this fact anywhere in the paper, but George Lucas himself doesn't mention it in his interview.

Thirdly, not only has the premise been copied, but seemingly also the art style, because the characters look (even though they're 3D CGI) suspiciously similar to Tartakovsky's rather unique art style.

Phew, that feels better. Questions? Comments? Flames? I'll read them all  :D
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: 3D Star Wars
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 05:23:36 pm »

I liked the clone wars Mini-Series. They're screwing themselves by making it some CGI vomit movie.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 05:23:49 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's a movie version of the Cartoon Network series.

Ooh, eerie, the commercial just came on.
Shoes...

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 05:51:57 pm »

The style reminds me of Storm Hawks with a bit of Tartakovsky's Clone Wars thrown in.

Regardless, the trailers I have seen for it look horrible.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 07:18:00 pm »

You forgot the fourth problem.  The movie is banking on the residual awesome of Tartakovsky's miniseries.  Tartakovsky had no part in making the movie.  Expect none of his brilliant thematic direction, and a lot of attempted reproduction of his eye-candy.  Eye-candy which looks like the animation quality of Toy Story with filters and bloom.  That said, if they managed to ape the miniseries well enough, it should be about as entertaining.

And don't worry about his absence.  Genndy's been busy with another project instead...
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 07:30:04 pm »

I'm pretty sure the new 3D Clone Wars movie is aimed at the younger generation.

Omath Erius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 07:46:52 pm »

Does it have that underwater green tentacle-face guy?

If it does, it's win, because that guy was badass.
fhalkgsuehgvnl gherghlirhb

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 10:05:19 pm »

And don't worry about his absence.  Genndy's been busy with another project instead...

More information for this In Development project is only available on IMDbPro. To sign-up for a 14-day free trial, click here.

Since when was IMDB owned by greedy assholes?
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 10:13:04 pm »

I just grabbed the first link I thought of.  Point being, it is in the works, maybe not even stalled.

Even more to the point, I forgot about this other movie he's been directing.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 10:40:25 pm »

... For a second there I thought that was a remake of Dark Crystal.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 10:47:08 pm »

One thing about this...
They are using 3D animation instead of real actors.(well yeah voice actors but you know what I mean)

Because of this,they better have one hell of a jaw dropping lightsaber battle or I'm gonna be disappointed.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 10:53:02 pm »

Samurai Jack was the high explosive de-vice, yo. For seriousness.

Also, this whole Clone Wars 3d business looks rather... lame.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 12:05:58 am »

If the samurai Jack movie is the same quality as the Samurai Jack series, it will be the best movie ever made. Ever.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 04:55:15 am »

AKUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!! *cough* Ahem.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 05:01:41 am »

Damn, I just heard Shaak'Ti's new voice for the first time...

I liked the other Shaak'Ti's voice actor better. Like, a lot better. Come to think of it, I like all the voice actors Tartakovsky's miniseries had.

And, you're right Aqizzar. I was going to say something about it but I figured I'd ranted enough for one day.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!
Pages: [1] 2